How we pick our products
For wine lovers, taking care of your wine collection by storing it in the ideal temperature is important for fully maintaining its properties. A wine fridge will be an important addition to your household, both for entertaining guests as well as enjoying all the nuances of your wine.
The following guide will introduce you to the world of wine coolers, which are essentially refrigerators that safely store wine bottles in optimal condition. Here, we cover the different types of wine fridges for all your wine storage needs.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Wine Fridges on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Wine Fridges
- 3.1 What is a wine fridge exactly?
- 3.2 What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a wine fridge at home?
- 3.3 Is it necessary to put wine bottles horizontally?
- 3.4 What sizes and types of wine fridges are there on the market?
- 3.5 Are thermoelectric or compressor-based models better?
- 3.6 What is the ideal humidity level for a wine cellar?
- 3.7 Where should I place my wine fridge?
- 3.8 What is the best temperature for a single temperature wine fridge?
- 3.9 What care does my wine fridge require?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Wine fridges or coolers are specialized refrigerators designed to store and preserve wines at ideal temperatures.
- Various types of wine coolers are available on the market. The two main categories of products are engineered based one of two main systems: thermoelectric or compressor-based.
- Your wine bottles should be kept at a temperature and an atmospheric humidity appropriate for their preservation.
- Key aspects to consider before buying a wine fridge are the bottle capacity, the fridge model and its energy efficiency.
Our Selection of the Best Wine Fridges on the U.S. Market
The US market has a range of wine coolers on offer. Certain models are designed to preserve everyday-wine, while others can keep your long term collection at different temperatures. In this ranking, we discuss our selection of the best wine coolers available, all of which are both high quality solutions and affordable.
- Best Affordable Wine Fridge
- Best Thermoelectric Wine Fridge
- Best Freestanding Wine Fridge
- Best Wine Fridge With External Digital Control Panel
- Most Elegant Wine Fridge
Best Affordable Wine Fridge
The NutriChef is at the top of our list due to its excellent features and affordable price. It is a thermo-electric wine refrigerator that comes complete with temperature control, integrated LED light, a built-in circulation fan and ventilation grill. It has a capacity for 18 bottles, so it is ideal for homes with a high wine bottle turnover.
Temperature control can be viewed and modified with digital touch display in Celsius or Fahrenheit. The unit includes integrated LED light with power control. The fridge also comes with a reinforced glass door with an air-tight seal. Additionally, this cooler does its job quietly!
Best Thermoelectric Wine Fridge
Another masterpiece wine cooler by Nutrichef. This 12 bottle cooler, similar to the 18 bottle unit comes equipped with high precision thermo-electric cooling technology. Like its sister unit, it also has adjustable temperature control, integrated LED lights and a built-in circulation fan and ventilation grill. It has a sleek appearance with an elegant, reinforced glass door with air-tight seal. Given its small capacity of 12 bottles and a free-standing design, this refrigerator is versatile and can be used on the floor, table or under the counter.
With its touch screen control, you can turn the LED lights on or off and adjust the temperature (Celsius and Fahrenheit selectable) at a simple touch of a button and without letting all that chilled air out. With an advanced cooling system that will keep your beverages at the right temperature without making a noise, this wine cooler is perfect for use at home or the office. The unit comes complete with contoured, polished chrome wine racks and special placement for standing bottles. This premium wine cooling unit is backed by a 1-year quality warranty of complete satisfaction.
Best Freestanding Wine Fridge
The Danby 36 Freestanding Wine Cooler, is an excellent option for wine enthusiasts who have larger collections. It has a variety of advanced features, and this comes at a higher price compared to the previous options we discussed. This spacious unit offers 3.3 cubic feet of cooling space which is designed to store up to 36 bottles of your wines on well designed black wire shelving units. Your collection will also look great with the blue LED interior lighting which beautifully showcases the bottles through the elegant tempered-glass door.
The bottles will always be at the temperature you prefer since the range of the wine cooler lies between 43°F and 57°F. The glass door is designed to protect your collection from potentially harmful ultraviolet rays. This appliance features a stylish recessed pocket-style handle. The reversible door swing enables you to open it from the left or right-hand side. This wine cooler also comes with a 12-month warranty on parts.
Best Wine Fridge With External Digital Control Panel
The New Air AW-121E 12 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler is an excellent wine storage solution for the new wine collector, or for anyone who wants to keep a few bottles of wine close at hand. It is a freestanding unit that is designed with contemporary stainless steel. It is silent and has an efficient thermoelectric cooling system which stores your wine at the perfect temperature of 55°F. The external digital control panel makes it easy to monitor and maintain cooling conditions.
The unit includes 3 chrome-plated shelves that cradle your wine and slide-out for easy access. Additionally, the unit has an attractive blue LED light that brightens the interior and highlights your collection. 12 bottle units are probably the minimum size you should go for. For enthusiasts who enjoy regular drinking as well as growing their collection, you might prefer a larger unit.
Most Elegant Wine Fridge
The Kalamera with a capacity of 50 bottles, is for the more advanced wine enthusiast. This wine cooler will enable you to develop a respectable collection as well as hold enough bottles for regular hosting. This is the largest unit from our selection, and the most expensive. It is beautiful, designed with black and silver stainless steel, a smoked glass door in front, and blue LED lighting, to elegantly showcase your wine.
This wine refrigerator has several state-of-the-art functions. These include compressor cooling system that provide silent functionality. Your bottles will lay on beech hardwood slat shelves that allow cold air to circulate around each bottle. This design prevents the bottles from shifting and bumping. If you are looking for a larger wine cooler, the Kalamera could be the option for you.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Wine Fridges
What is a wine fridge exactly?
Wine fridges also include a thermostat to help you regulate the temperature. Some models integrate shelves with different temperature levels to let you hold both white and red wines in the same unit.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a wine fridge at home?
Is it necessary to put wine bottles horizontally?
What sizes and types of wine fridges are there on the market?
|Size||Capacity ranging from 6 to 20 bottles||Capacity ranging from 24 to 50 bottles||Capacity of 50 bottles and up|
|They cool the wine via a chip placed on one side.||They use a coolant in a closed circuit.||They combine both systems but are more expensive. They are designed for professional use.|
|Domestic or counter-top wine fridges are small and ideal to preserve your bottles at the same temperature.||They are generally slotted into a space in your living room or kitchen to naturally blend in with your home decor. They can be compressor-based or thermoelectric, but their ventilation needs to be located in the front end.||These models are like cabinets used to exhibit your wines. They take up a lot of space and are commonly found in places designed for wine tasting.|
|By temperature||Single temperature||Multi-temperature||–|
|Single temperature wine cabinets keep all bottles at the same temperature.||These models features different zones for each temperature, ideal for preserving both red and white wine.||–|
Are thermoelectric or compressor-based models better?
|Thermoelectric wine fridges||They are generally small and affordable.||They are more specifically tailored for red wines, improving their quality. They may overheat if they do have a space to ventilate at the back. They are silent.||The temperature ranges from 12 to 18 degrees. They do not require refrigerant gas.|
|Compressor-based wine fridges||They are more expensive as they require greater power and feature a larger storage capacity.||They maintain and preserve all types of wines due to their greater range of temperatures. Their refrigerant gas circulates in a closed circuit. They can make noise and produce vibrations like traditional refrigerators.||They are precise and usually feature a thermostat. Unlike thermoelectric models, the external temperature has no influence as there is no direct dependence.|
What is the ideal humidity level for a wine cellar?
It is recommended to always choose 75°C over 60°C. Finally, you are encouraged to purchase a hygrometer to assess the relative humidity in the event that your wine fridge doesn’t include a humidity sensor.
Where should I place my wine fridge?
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight: It is essential to keep your bottles away from the sun and high temperatures.
- Do not place it next to other appliances: In particularly those that produce vibrations, such as refrigerators. This could generate overheating and waste energy.
- Avoid placing it in bedrooms: While the manufacturer may promise that your wine cooler doesn’t make any noise, there is always a little bit. This can be annoying when you’re trying to sleep.
- Well ventilated rooms away from the heat: Wine fridges are best placed in ventilated rooms, which should never exceed 30 degrees.
What is the best temperature for a single temperature wine fridge?
What care does my wine fridge require?
- Ventilation space: Make sure to give a space of at least twenty centimetres between the wine fridge and the wall for ventilation.
- Location: We mentioned this point earlier already, but it is key to make sure it is away from the sun and other appliances.
- Filter: If your appliance has a carbon filter, it needs to be regularly checked and changed once a year.
- Unplugging for cleaning: Make sure to disconnect your wine fridge and remove its shelves before cleaning it.
- Water, mild soap and baking soda for the interior: In a container, mix water, mild soap and two spoonfuls of baking soda per litre of water. Use this to clean the interior of your wine fridge.
- Water and detergent for the exterior: When cleaning the shelves and exterior of your wine cooler, use a blend of water and mild detergent to wipe with a damp cloth.
- Removing the water from the evaporation tray: Compressor-based wine fridges include a tray that collects water. Wipe and clean periodically with a damp cloth.
You should already know a great deal about wine fridges at this point. There are still several essential criteria that you’ll need to consider when buying the best model. In the following section, we have a look at these criteria to help you make an informed decision:
Type of Wine
Single temperature wine fridges will suffice if you only plan on keeping red wine bottles. However, you will need a multi-temperature model if you also want to include different types of wines (i.e. white, rose and red). While these wine coolers may be slightly less affordable, you’ll be thankful for your decision in the long run as these appliances tend to have a greater useful life.
Think about how many bottles you want to fit in your wine fridge before choosing a specific model. If you simply want one to store a selection of wines to entertain your guests, a small wine cooler should be more than enough. On the other hand, you’ll want to buy a larger model if you plan on building a large wine collection.
Your wine fridge constantly uses energy. Make sure that your wine cooler is energy efficient. Otherwise, you will risk unfortunate electric bills.
Thermoelectric or Compressor-Based
We have already analyzed the main differences between these two types of wine fridges. Caterers generally use the latter models, as they are suitable for all types of wine and are efficient even in the hottest of places. These wine coolers are slightly more expensive, although you can now find some with more affordable prices.
Reviews and Ratings
We recommend studying customer ratings of the products that interest you. Their comments may come in handy to help you make your decision. They may discuss aspects that you were not aware of regarding the model you are interested in.
Wine fridges are necessary for storing wine in optimal condition. If you are passionate about wine now is the time to invest in a wine cooler. You can find affordable models and take hosting guests to a higher level.
Until recently, few could afford a wine fridge. The growth in demand has brought prices down quickly. Nowadays, all you need is the right space to set up your own wine fridge, and preserve your collection.
If you liked our article, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment in the section below with any suggestion or question you may have. Cheers!
(Source of Featured Image: Belchonock: 92271543/ 123rf.com)