How we pick our products
If you like to train at home and have decided to set up your very own gym, having a weight bench is absolutely essential. This accessory will allow you to exercise a wide variety of muscular groups for full-body workouts – from quadriceps and hamstrings to shoulders, biceps, or chest.
We want to help you purchase the weight bench that best suits your needs, so we have designed the following guide to teach you everything there is to know about this piece of equipment. Keep in mind that the type of exercise you want to do and the space you have available are two deciding factors in your choice.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Weight Benches on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Weight Benches
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- The height of the weight bench is one of its most important criteria, as it should allow you to put your feet firmly on the ground for stability. If that’s not the case, you should have a system to lift your feet for proper use of the piece of equipment.
- If you have limited space but also want to use other accessories such as dumbbells and bars, you will find collapsible benches to be very useful. The great thing is that most models are lightweight and easy to move.
- You will need to consider a series of key factors before making your purchase. The filling of the bench, the inclined positions possible, as well as the height, weight, and pressure it supports, are very important. In this guide, you will find out everything you need to choose the best weight bench for your home.
Our Selection: The Best Weight Benches on the U.S. Market
In the following section, we have selected some of the best weight benches available on the market. You can learn more about their specific features and characteristics to decide which model is the most appropriate for you and your home gym. Are you ready? Let’s go!
Best Flat Bench
Marcy’s utility flat bench has become an Amazon Best Seller for very good reasons, and its hundreds of satisfied buyers can testify to this. Able to support a maximum weight of 600 pounds, this heavy-duty piece of equipment will allow you to perform full-body workouts with peace of mind. The sturdy steel frame and high-density padding provide all the comfort you need to reach your fitness goals without leaving your home!
Best Adjustable Weight Bench
This adjustable model by Bowflex will give you the flexibility you need to do a variety of different exercises for comprehensive training sessions. With a total of 6 inclined positions available, this weight bench is easy to use and truly versatile to satisfy even the most demanding athletes. It has a maximum capacity of 480 pounds. And what is better than a 30-year frame warranty to prove the quality of this product?
Best Olympic Weight Bench
Marcy is back on our list with a fully functional, top-of-the-line Olympic weight bench that will give you all the tools you need to become the athlete you’ve always wanted to be. Designed to work out any and all muscle groups, it includes various bench positions and additional accessories such as foot rollers, an arm curl pad, and a squat rack. It may not be the most affordable model, but it certainly offers great value for money.
Best Bench for Small Spaces
Last but not least, Fitness Reality’s 1000 Super Max Weight Bench is the model for you if your space at home is limited but you don’t want to miss out on all the advantages of having this piece of equipment handy. Despite supporting up to 800 pounds of load, it is lightweight and easy to move around. Once you’re done working out, simply fold it and use the built-in wheels to take it to its storing space!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Weight Benches
As you can see, many types of weight benches can be found on the market. This is because many of us have taken to doing our weight-training exercises from home. Since it can be difficult to choose between so many options, with certain factors being particularly important in your decision, we’ve answered the most frequently asked questions about this type of bench in the section below.
What is a weight bench exactly?
This piece of fitness equipment is designed to exercise, strengthen, and develop muscle groups while sitting or lying on them. It is a fantastic ally for anyone looking to work out from the comfort of their own home. As long as you have weights, you can do full-body workouts without having to pay a gym membership.
What types of weight benches are there?
These pieces of equipment come in so many designs that you can quickly get lost. In the following table, you can learn more about the most popular types and their specific characteristics. Whether you need a common flat bench or a folding weight model, you will feel more confident making your purchase after reading the information provided below.
|Type||Muscle groups that you can work out||Reclining?||Fixed?|
|Flat benches||Chest, triceps, and shoulders. You can use weights and perform sit-ups with a horizontal flat bench. A vertical model will allow you to work on your lower abs.||No||Yes|
|Adjustable weight benches||You can perform exercises using your own body weight and dumbbells or other pieces of equipment in various positions.||You can tilt the device depending on the exercise you want to do.||They offer several positions.|
|Abdominal benches||These models have foot rollers on one end so that you can lock your feet for more safety while doing core exercises.||You can tilt the device depending on the exercise you want to do.||They offer several positions.|
|Olympic weight benches||They are the most comprehensive devices and allow you to train all muscle groups.||These models are fully reclining.||They offer several positions.|
What are the advantages of weight benches?
These pieces of fitness equipment are very versatile, simple, and easy to use. And that’s not the only perk of having your own training bench at home. You will be able to work out and strengthen a great variety of muscle groups, from quadriceps and adductors to shoulders, biceps, triceps, and pectorals. Here is a list of the many advantages weight benches can offer you:
- You can use different types of weights, such as dumbbells, bars, and plates.
- They are very complete and allow you to work on any muscle group from your upper and lower body, as well as your core (abdominal, lumbar, pelvic, gluteal, and deep back muscles).
- Your exposure to injury is minimal.
- They can adjust to any exerciser regardless of their height or weight.
- Working with a weight bench at home is a fantastic way to achieve your goals and measure your results. You won’t have an excuse for not working out every day.
What exercises can I do on my weight bench?
These pieces of equipment allow you to perform many different gym routines, and you can do so from the comfort of your own home. Here is a list of various exercises you can do with your weight bench. Did you ever think that these devices could be so versatile?
- Triceps: Take a dumbbell in each hand and lie down with your back on the bench. Starting from your chest, push the dumbbells vertically above you, and slowly lower them.
- Gluteus (buttocks): If you want to tone this muscle, lie down on the bench and perform hip elevations while keeping your buttocks firm. Once you feel comfortable with this exercise, you can increase the difficulty by placing a weight plate on your abdomen while doing it.
- Biceps: Take your dumbbells and sit on your bench. All you have to do is lift the weights by bending your arm at the elbow, one arm at a time.
How much weight does a bench support?
You may be considering buying a weight bench to perform the very popular bench press exercise. This training consists of you lying down and lifting a bar with weight plates on each side to work your chest. People who do this often can end up putting a lot of weight on the bar, which is why you need to purchase a bench that can support this amount of pressure.
While the maximum weight that these pieces of equipment can handle will vary from one model to another, most tend to support around 330 pounds. You may think that it is a lot, but keep in mind that you have to add your own weight to that of the equipment you’re using. This means that, if you weigh 200 pounds and can lift 220 pounds, the model you choose must support at least 450 pounds.
What is the best brand in the industry?
It is very important that you choose a product from a manufacturer that can guarantee quality and durability. This can be quite difficult to find because the advent of the fitness culture has led to an incredible number of pieces of equipment being marketed. In the following list, we’ve chosen three brands following is a list of the three most important brands in the manufacture of weight benches and weightlifting benches:
- Bowflex: This American company has over 30 years of experience in the fitness training equipment industry. It offers a wide range of products that will satisfy everyone, from the most amateur to the most advanced athletes.
- Fitness Reality: This young California-based brand is on a quest to make quality fitness equipment affordable for everyone, and its products offer fantastic value for money.
- Marcy: This is a brand of IMPEX, an American fitness product manufacturer established at the beginning of the 1980s. Some of its training devices have become best-sellers and stand for quality.
Whether you’re planning on changing your current weight bench or have never owned one and are unsure about the criteria to evaluate, the following section is designed just for you. We have detailed some of the most important factors that will help you make the best purchase possible. If you take them into account, we guarantee that you’ll get your hands on the right weight bench for your home.
One of the very first things to search for when buying a weight bench is that it has a sturdy, padded seat. This will allow you to train comfortably without being bothered by the metal base of the weight bench. Remember that a model whose seat isn’t padded with a firm filling also has the tendency to deteriorate quicker than other benches.
Depending on the weight bench you decide to purchase, you will be able to adopt various positions during your workouts – sitting, lying down, or at an angle. However, keep in mind that a bench with more inclined positions isn’t necessarily a better bench. The type of training you want to do may require you to choose a model with specific positions or even a fixed bench.
As we mentioned earlier, the height of the weight bench is absolutely fundamental. You need to be able to perform all your exercises with your feet firmly planted on the ground. This allows you to work out in complete safety to prevent potential injuries and accidents. For this reason, always check the height range of the weight bench you want to purchase.
How much weight and pressure can your weight bench support? It is essential for it to be strong enough to withstand your body weight and any other accessory you may use during your training sessions. Remember that this combined pressure will entirely rest on this piece of equipment, so it needs to be very stable and sturdy at all times.
You need to consider two factors when purchasing a model with a bar rack: its structure and the distance between the arms. The former must be solid enough to withstand the pressure imposed on it during training. The more it can handle, the longer its useful life will be.
Regarding the distance between its arms, it must be wide enough for you to perform all your exercises comfortably. Keep in mind that this distance is influenced by your height and wingspan, so check the measurements before making your purchase.
Nowadays, many weight benches come with additional features or pieces of equipment that will allow you to work out specific muscles such as quadriceps and hamstrings, biceps, or triceps. If you opt for one of these models, make sure that they are made from quality, resistant materials that will withstand the pressure of the exercises you plan on doing.
Being confident and clear with your personal goals is the first thing that you need when purchasing your own weight bench. You should also think about the type of training you want to perform; certain models are tailored specifically to abdominal exercises, while others will help you reach your weightlifting targets. This is why buying a weight bench is such a personal decision.
If you’re a strong, experienced athlete looking to lift heavy weights, the strength and resistance of the bench will be essential. Remember that folding or adjustable models won’t be your best option in that case. Nowadays, the more advanced benches will include safety features to prevent the piece of equipment from suffering from damages.
If you liked our guide on weight benches, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share our article on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Pavelbalanenko: 87858300/ 123rf.com)