How we pick our products
Decorating your windows can be a real challenge. There are various aspects that you need to take into account in order to get it right. The decorative style of the room, the size of the window, and your budget all matter. If you want an elegant, versatile, and affordable option, you should consider opting for Venetian blinds.
They will dress any window in your home or give your office the privacy it needs. In the following guide, we will tell you everything you need to know to make the most of your Venetian blinds. You will also discover some of the best products on the market, as well as how to identify the model you need.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Venetian Blinds
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Venetian Blinds
- 3.1 What elements make up a Venetian blind?
- 3.2 What materials can Venetian blinds be made of?
- 3.3 Can I use Venetian blinds to create different rooms?
- 3.4 Are Venetian blinds or curtains better?
- 3.5 Are there Venetian blinds for outdoor use?
- 3.6 What is the right size for my Venetian blinds?
- 3.7 Can I install a Venetian blind on the inner frame of my window?
- 3.8 What are the advantages of Venetian blinds?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Venetian blinds were originally used in offices and businesses to create a sense of privacy in different areas. They were also simpler, cheaper, and easier to maintain than most curtains. Nowadays, their popularity in homes is constantly increasing because of the many advantages they offer. In addition, you can find many beautiful products to decorate your windows.
- Indeed, there is an extensive variety of options on the market, with different sizes, materials, and designs. Make sure you know exactly what you are looking for.
- Which Venetian blind best fits the decorative style of your home? What type of window do you have? These are just some of the aspects that we will delve into in the final section of our guide.
Our Selection: The Best Venetian Blinds
Can you imagine dressing the windows in your home with Venetian blinds? Whether you’re sure this is what you want or simply browsing the market, getting to know some of the most popular products out there can help you make your final decision. Our selection below will also introduce you to some interesting features of these window coverings.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Venetian Blinds
Venetian blinds may be just the option you have been looking for to decorate your windows. You can attach them to the wall, the ceiling, or even the window itself. Now that you have discovered some of the best products on the market, are you ready to learn more about them?
What elements make up a Venetian blind?
- Headrail: It is located precisely at the top of the blind and holds the rest of the elements together.
- Slats: These pieces are placed horizontally and parallel to each other. They form the body of the blind.
- Ladder string: Also called the lift cord by some manufacturers, its purpose is to raise and lower the blind. It is attached to the headrail and all the slats.
- Tilt wand: You use this element to regulate the orientation of the slats and the incoming light. The wand is also part of the headrail.
- Bottom rail: As its name suggests, it is located at the bottom of the blind.
What materials can Venetian blinds be made of?
|Resistance to light||High||It can alter its color.||High|
|Flexibility of the slats||Low||High||Low|
|Resistance to humidity||It is very resistant.||PVC is also very resistant||It is less resistant.|
|Rooms||Any||Kitchen and bathroom||Living room and bedrooms|
|Price||Affordable options||Affordable options||More expensive|
Can I use Venetian blinds to create different rooms?
You can easily attach this type of blind to the ceiling or in an empty doorframe. All you will have to do is lower your Venetian blinds when you want to create different spaces. In that case, don’t forget to purchase a model that is long enough to reach the floor. If you want warm blinds that contribute to a cozy feeling, wooden ones are your best bet.
Are Venetian blinds or curtains better?
|Variety in design||–||✔︎|
|Control of incoming light||✔︎||–|
|Ease of cleaning||✔︎||–|
|Creation of spaces||✔︎||–|
Are there Venetian blinds for outdoor use?
What is the right size for my Venetian blinds?
- If you have space on both sides of the window, simply measure the width of the window, including the frames, and add three inches. Ideally, you should leave an inch and a half on either side.
- If you have space on one side of the window, do the same and add the inch and a half on one side only.
- If you have a window between two walls, measure the distance in between and take away half an inch. This allows you to have a small margin for error.
- If you have a window with a shutter box, measure the widest – window or shutter box – and add three inches.
- To get the length for installing it on your ceiling, measure the distance from the ceiling to the end of the window, including the frame, and add three inches.
- To get the length for installing it on your wall, measure the length of the window and add between 7 and 10 inches. Note that this depends on the type of window you have.
Can I install a Venetian blind on the inner frame of my window?
That being said, it is a delicate task, so make sure you feel confident doing it before buying the blinds. You may also contact the manufacturer to have their opinion on doing this. If you don’t feel comfortable, you can always turn to a company specialized in installing blinds. They can probably help you downsize them.
What are the advantages of Venetian blinds?
We are now reaching the end of this guide, and you’re almost fully set to purchase the perfect Venetian blinds for your home. We have already analyzed various key aspects, but we have more in store for you in case you have any remaining doubts. In the section below, we will delve into the following shopping criteria and why they are so important:
The slats of Venetian blinds generally range between 1 and 3 inches in width. Aluminum and PVC models are often available in any measure, while wooden ones will either be 2 or 3 inches wide. Don’t neglect this aspect, as it can help you create different effects. Generally speaking, 1-inch slats are the most common on the market can.
If you have a very large window, a door that opens onto your garden, or you want to divide spaces, opt for 2-inch slats. They confer a more elegant look. The smallest slats, on the other hand, are ideal for visually airing out the space and brightening the atmosphere. In any case, you should always consider your own home decor and tastes before making your purchase.
Type of Window
You can find different types of windows on the market, the most common being the sliding, hinged, awning, and tilt and turn models. Hinged windows have one or two hinges and open laterally with a handle. Awning ones only open by tilting the bottom inwards and never open completely.
Tilt and turn models, on the other hand, can be opened sideways and tilted like awning windows. Finally, sliding windows move horizontally on a rail, remaining parallel to the wall when opened. You will have to evaluate various factors depending on which type of window you want to install your Venetian blinds. Refer to the following table to get it right:
|Feature||Sliding||Hinged||Awning||Tilt and turn|
|Ceiling installation||1 inch from the wall||3 to 6 inches from the wall||3 to 6 inches from the wall||3 to 6 inches from the wall|
|Wall installation||Use the system included.||Check if you need support to overcome handles and other obstacles.||Check if you need support to overcome handles and other obstacles.||Check if you need support to overcome handles and other obstacles.|
|Easiest installation||To the wall||To the ceiling or window||To the ceiling or window||To the ceiling or window|
You can find Venetian blinds in virtually any color on the market. If you are looking to confer a warm and natural look to your space, we recommend that you opt for wooden products. White and neutral tones are ideal if you want them to go unnoticed. If you want them to stand out, or if you have a particular home decor, you may go for more intense colors.
Interior Design Style
Nowadays, anything goes when it comes to home decoration. The good news is that Venetian blinds are very versatile products. In a minimalist style, they will perfectly blend in and go almost unnoticed. In others, they can help to lighten the atmosphere. Which one is right for your home?
|Interior design style||Material|
|Scandinavian||Aluminum or white PVC|
|Contemporary||Aluminum or white wood|
|Shabby chic||White wood|
|Boho chic||White or natural wood|
Originally designed for business, schools, and other professional offices, Venetian blinds have become a versatile decorative option for our homes. In fact, they are ideal for dressing your windows and giving them a new look. Throughout our article, you have discovered how to make the most of them.
Besides, you are guaranteed to find the perfect model for just about every room and space in your home. Not to mention that Venetian blinds are still the ideal choice for giving you more privacy in your office. Are you ready to revamp your windows?
We hope that you found our shopping guide on Venetian blinds helpful and informative. If that’s the case, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share this article on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Sorokopud: 12409766/ 123rf.com)