Translucent powders are one of those makeup products that not everyone uses, and that is because they either don’t know what they’re for or they don’t know how to apply them correctly. Which is unfortunate because they are key to having a flawless look. It is no wonder that the people who decide to try them cannot do without them after. They are a must for all make-up artists and now you too can learn how to use them.
Although their main function is to mattify and fix makeup, making them ideal for people with oily skin, the truth is that they are a very versatile product that should not be missing in any toiletry bag. With a few touches of translucent powder, the look of your makeup can change completely for the better, do you want to know more?
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Translucent Powders on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Translucent Powders
- 3.1 What are translucent powders and what are they used for?
- 3.2 What types of translucent powders are there?
- 3.3 Why should you use translucent powders?
- 3.4 How are translucent powders applied?
- 3.5 When is translucent powder applied?
- 3.6 What make-up tools can be used to apply translucent powder?
- 3.7 Can translucent powders be used on any skin type?
- 3.8 Is it true that translucent powders bleach the skin?
- 4 Buyers’ Guide
- 5 Summary
- Translucent powders can remove shiny skin, increase make-up life and provide a more visually polished result.
- Contrary to what many people believe, they do not whiten the face and they do not have to reflect the flash in photos: it all depends on what type of powder you choose and how you apply it.
- When you decide to purchase a translucent powder, you will have to take into account its composition, your skin type and the format in which it is presented.
Our Selection: The Best Translucent Powders on the U.S. Market
Since translucent powders are not the most popular cosmetic product, it is normal to think that all the options available for purchase are similar: a whitish powder that is applied to the face with a brush or pad, can they really be so different from each other? Well, I do, actually. Here are five good options:
- The Best No-Color Loose Translucent Powder
- The Best Translucent Powder With Added Moisturizer
- The Best Compact Translucent Powder
- The Best Vegan Translucent Powder
The Best No-Color Loose Translucent Powder
Nyx powders have become viral in recent times and it is easy to understand why. On the one hand, they come in an inexpensive presentation. On the other hand, in its formula, we only find first quality elements. Leaves a natural, very subtle finish that lasts for several hours, even in conditions of high humidity or heat in summer.
They are suitable even for people with dry skin, as they do not dehydrate the skin. In addition, they blur pores and small-expression lines. They do not produce the dreaded “Casper effect” (you know, when a make-up face goes white in the photos with flash) and prevent the appearance of skin glitters for several hours.
The Best Translucent Powder With Added Moisturizer
This option by L’Oreal is ideal for people sensitive to the environment since they are organic, vegan and fully certified. In addition, its formula does not contain silicones, paraffin or mineral oils. They don’t contain talcum powder either. They provide a matt finish thanks to their biological and mineral extracts that provide luminosity.
They are suitable for all skin types and their skin compatibility has been dermatologically proven. They cover make-up or bare skin without clogging pores and being translucent they adapt to all skin tones, from the lightest to the darkest. Lavera cosmetics are developed, manufactured and produced in Germany.
The Best Compact Translucent Powder
This Fit Me product by Maybelline is a consumer favorite. The manufacturer estimates that they are enough for between 50 and 125 applications, but we believe that there may be many more – although it depends on the amount you use each time, of course. These powders also mattify and fix makeup for several hours.
This brand became famous after it was known to be used by make-up artist Mario Dedivanovic to contour Kim Kardashian’s face. The neutral color, which is the one mentioned here, does not leave the face whitish and adapts to all skin tones. They are not perfumed, but they do contain both talc and parabens in their formula.
The Best Vegan Translucent Powder
This Coty Airspun offers us a vegan option that is not tested on animals. These translucent powders serve to fix the makeup so that it is perfect even hours after it has been applied. According to the manufacturer, they bring the final touch of luminosity to makeup and also provide a neutral finish on all skin types.
It is suitable for oily skin, as it absorbs excess shine over a long period of time, but also for drier skin, as it does not stale the face. Although this package is smaller than the previous ones, it is very common, since very little quantity will suffice to mattify the whole face.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Translucent Powders
We are aware that even those who use translucent powders on a daily basis have serious doubts about their function or their mode of use. The truth is that, as we have already told you, they are a very versatile product and it is a pity that you do not take full advantage of them for simple ignorance. Next, we will try to resolve some issues.
What are translucent powders and what are they used for?
It is of little use to spend half an hour or more in make-up so that after our “work of art” disappears in a short time, don’t you think? You can use it both in day and night make-up looks, since, if you don’t overdo it, they don’t have to stiffen the skin or become unnatural. As if that weren’t enough, they can also be used for:
- To make the eye profiler practically permanent if we apply on these small touches of translucent powders with an eye brush.
- To lighten the skin tone or lower the color of a blush that is too intense.
- To make a lipstick fixed or matte a glossy finish bar by applying a small amount with a small brush.
What types of translucent powders are there?
|Mate||Leave a matte finish on the leather.
They are perfect for people with oily skin, as they prevent the appearance of glitters for longer.
They can further mark facial imperfections, such as pimples or expression lines
|Satin|| They leave a satin finish on the leather.
More suitable for people with dry skin, since they maintain better hydration.
A good choice for more mature skin, as it conceals imperfections and wrinkles.
In addition, we can distinguish translucent powders by their format: loose or compact powders. We’re not going to tell you which of the two options is better since it depends a lot on the use and your personal needs. In case you’re afraid to overdo it, you might want to start by trying some compact ones. These are the differences:
|Loose powders||The type of powder is finer than in the compact.
To apply them you need a large brush with very loose hair.
They can spill, so we do not recommend that you carry them in your bag for touch-ups.
|Compact powders||They keep the glitters at bay longer than the loose ones.
Their format is clean and convenient, and you can easily transport them if you need to apply them during the day.
They have greater coverage than loose powders.
Why should you use translucent powders?
The glows are natural and normal, but there are certain moments when we would all prefer to avoid them. Do you know how presenters or artists who appear on television get their faces spotless? Exactly. They use translucent powders. Even if you don’t wear makeup, you can also use them to improve the appearance of your skin. Check it out!
- As mentioned before, eliminating excess oil is important.
- Avoid unwanted glitters that give an imperfect look to your makeup look.
- Homogenize both the tone and texture of the skin, with or without make-up.
- They keep makeup intact all day long.
- If they have a sun protection factor, they can protect you from radiation.
How are translucent powders applied?
They can also be used in other areas such as the eyelid or eyelids to seal the corrector or eye shadows respectively. If you want to mattify lipstick you can also use them on your lips, once you have applied the color, of course. With just a few touches of the product, you can see a huge difference.
When is translucent powder applied?
- First neutralize the dark color of the dark circles with a suitable corrector.
- Then apply the makeup base or the colored moisturizer to the rest of the face.
- Lastly, seal and mattify the make-up with translucent powders.
- Once this is done, we can proceed to use blush and bronzer. This step can also be done earlier, but we run the risk that translucent powders slightly lower the intensity of the tone of these.
- An extra coat of translucent powder can be applied to the T-zone from time to time to avoid the appearance of glitter. Carrying a small powder box in your bag is a good trick.
What make-up tools can be used to apply translucent powder?
- Sponge: A Beauty Blender sponge works better with compact powders than with loose powders. The sponge melts the product perfectly. However, it is important to wash them frequently.
- Brush: This is the most common option. You’re gonna need a big brush with a lot of loose hair. They work well for both compact and loose powders. Don’t forget to dispose of the excess product by tapping the brush before placing it on the skin!
- Pad: These are usually included in the powers themselves. They are not so precise and do not offer such a perfect finish, but they are very practical for out-of-home touch-ups. Remember to wash them often.
Can translucent powders be used on any skin type?
Our advice, in any case, is to always apply a moisturizer as a preliminary step to the entire makeup process, especially if you have mature skin. Remember that, being translucent powders, they also adapt to all skin tones without whitening them, from the lightest to the darkest skin.
Is it true that translucent powders bleach the skin?
Although at first glance they look whitish, they are also translucent, so they do not alter your skin tone at all. You can relax because they’re not gonna make you look like a geisha. In any case, keep in mind that, if you apply too much, they could bleach slightly by a mere accumulation of product. Go little by little.
As mentioned throughout this guide, translucent powders have evolved so much in recent years, and at the same time remain such an unpopular product that it’s normal for you to feel confused when you decide to buy one. We cannot solve all your doubts, but we are going to talk to you about certain criteria that you must take into account:
It is very important that you always check thoroughly everything you are going to apply to your skin. You should read the label carefully, understand what each ingredient is and check whether or not they are suitable for your skin. Translucent powders often base their formula on talc, but can also be made from cornstarch or other minerals.
If your skin is particularly sensitive, we advise you to avoid certain ingredients that could cause adverse reactions, such as perfumes. Of course, if you’re vegan, you can also opt for products that don’t include any animal products in their formulas and haven’t been tested on animals.
Another of the first questions you should consider when purchasing a cosmetic product is your skin type, as it will determine the type of powder you will need to use. There are translucent powders that suit all skin types, but there are also others that are designed to address specific needs and characteristics.
For example, those with dry skin should not use translucent powders that promise very long-lasting effects, as they are likely to end up drying out the face and even causing peeling. It is also not a good idea to use powders that are very satiny or that have moisturizing properties on oily skin itself because they could accentuate the shine.
Format and Presentation
As mentioned above, it is important to consider the format and presentation of translucent powders. Basically, these are available in a compact form or as loose powders. The compact ones are more covering and easier to transport, while the loose ones offer more natural results.
It is also worth considering the accessories included in the powder box since there are many that have a small pad or travel brush to retouch makeup when we are away from home. Both the format and the accessories are characteristics that you must evaluate according to the use that you are going to give to the powders.
Not only the quality and perfection of the finish are important, but also the durability of the finish. Translucent powders are a product that, although it can be used daily, is especially useful when we need to be perfectly made-up for hours – at celebrations, events or simply when we want make-up to withstand a hot summer’s day.
For example, if you’re going to have to make up for a wedding and want to be impeccable all day, we recommend that you look for a product that offers a maximum lasting effect. If your skin is dry, we recommend that you only apply it to the forehead, nose, and chin, otherwise it could cause excessive dryness.
All the products we have mentioned in this article are colorless, but there are also translucent powders that have a touch of color. When purchasing a translucent powder with color, it is essential that you consider your skin subtone -yellow, pink or neutral-, since, otherwise, you could obtain very unnatural results.[ su_divider]
Translucent powders are a product that, until recently, was only used by professional make-up artists and beauty addicts. Today, their use is more widespread, but there are still many women who reject them thinking that they will be noticed a lot of photos are taken or that they will not be suitable for their skin tone.
As you have seen throughout this guide, this is not the case at all. Translucent powders are a product that should be indispensable in any makeup routine since they significantly improve both the appearance and the durability of the makeup, and they also adapt to all skin colors, even the darkest!
And you, do you use translucent powders in your everyday makeup? Tell us in the comments and do not hesitate to share our article on your social networks if you find it interesting.
(Featured image source: Puhhha: 78447256/ 123rf.com)