How we pick our products
You may have noticed that many muffin trays, spatulas, and cupcake molds are now available in a brightly colored material and rubber texture, known as silicone. These utensils are safe to use and have many advantages over their metal and glass counterparts.
Professional bakers and occasional chefs alike employ them in their recipes. So, you shouldn’t hesitate to try them either. Read this guide to learn how to use them, why they are so convenient, and then make your own decision about which silicone molds best suit your needs.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Silicone Baking Molds on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Silicone Baking Molds
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Food should never be cut directly from the mold, nor should you expose the product to direct heat.
- Among the most outstanding benefits of silicone molds are their versatility, durability, ability to withstand wide temperature ranges, their nonstick characteristics, and ease of cleaning.
Our Selection: The Best Silicone Baking Molds on the U.S. Market
If you are wondering where to get silicone molds or which products are the best in the market, we have the answers for you. We have selected the best products according to users’ choice due to the good reviews of the items and the high sales of the products.
Best Silicone Mini-Muffin Cups
This product comes with two trays of 24 mini-muffin cups each and can be used for cupcakes as well, for quick baking large batches in no time. An Amazon’s Choice with 4.6 out of 5 stars and only $12.99 for both 24-cup trays, and available in three colors, this product is an excellent value.
Best Silicone Cupcake Molds
Another great value, this Amazon’s Choice, rates 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 3000 ratings and is only $12.99. The baking mold comes in cheery bright red and has 12 cupcake (or muffin) molds, is microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe and heat resistant to 450°F, and is made to last a lifetime.
Best Silicone Bread Baking Molds
Another Amazon’s Choice product, these bread pans come in a pack of 2. Each mold measures 9-3/4″ L x 4-3/4″ W x 3″ H. They are great for not only ordinary bread but meatloaf, banana bread, etc. They are a great deal at two pans for $9.99, and are freezer, oven, and dishwasher safe. Temperature resistance is -104°F to 446°F, and clean up is easy with soap and water.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Silicone Baking Molds
To analyze the characteristics of silicone molds, as well as the advantages and disadvantages, we provide you with the answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding this type of product. In the next few paragraphs, we will provide you with the information you need to help determine exactly what kind of silicone baking molds are the best for you.
What is a silicone mold exactly?
What advantages and benefits do using silicone baking molds provide?
- Easy to Clean: The flexibility of silicone molds makes it easy to remove what is cooked in them.
Without oil: unlike other materials, silicone can also be washed in the dishwasher, since it does not contain this substance and is not supposed to fade or scratch.
- Suitable for heating or freezing: Silicone is safe for the freezer, for the oven, for the microwave and even for the dishwasher. So, you can bake, serve and store food on the same plate.
- Foods are baked evenly: You will no longer have to worry about burning your meal funds while the rest is still raw. Because silicone does not transfer heat like metal or glass, food stops cooking as soon as it is removed from the oven.
- For use anywhere: Because silicone is so light and easy to store, it can be taken to camping or on trips.
- Flexibility: If folded, the mold will regain its shape.
- Indestructible: They cannot be damaged, unlike other materials such as glass or metal.
- Space optimization: Requires little storage space.
- Thermal stability: Usable in a wide range of temperatures.
- Versatility: It can be taken out of the oven and placed immediately in the refrigerator or vice versa.
- Guaranteed safety: Each mold is manufactured with a thermal process that lasts between 6 and 7 hours, which results in the elimination of potentially toxic waste.
- Healthy eating: Uo oil is required to grease the molds. Although you can sue them if that is your personal taste.
What factors should I consider when using silicone baking molds?
- Be careful with the dishwasher: Although they are 100% suitable for being introduced into the dishwasher, it does not mean that this method is always the best way to clean a silicone mold.
- Oil is difficult to remove: The molds tend to develop an oil film that the dishwasher may not eliminate completely. In this case, you can wash them by hand or remove the fat with a little baking soda and liquid dish soap.
- Do not apply to direct heat: Although you can place silicone baking dishes directly on the oven rack, you should not place them directly on the stove, as this can damage the silicone.
- Always place a baking sheet underneath the silicone baking mold: Smaller silicone molds can stand alone, but larger ones will need the support of a baking sheet underneath them to be once filled to be more stable.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: Be sure to check the highest temperature recommended for baking. Each manufacturer and each mold can have a different required temperature.
- Do not use harsh detergents: It is recommended that you to use harsh cleaners on silicone molds because a white layer may appear on the surface of the mold can cause an alteration of the flavor of food in subsequent cooking. If this film does appear boiling the product in water for a few minutes will remove it.
- Do not cut food while in the mold: It is important to keep in mind that you should never cut what you cooked while still in a silicone mold. While silicone is versatile, it is not impenetrable.
How do you use silicone baking molds?
- Place the silicone mold on a rigid baking tray: We recommend placing your silicone molds on a cookie sheet before pouring the mixture. This will make it easier to place in the oven and, also, easier to remove when you have finished cooking.
- Dark-colored molds need extra time: You may notice that when baking cakes, brownies, bread or any other food in silicone molds, cooking is a bit slower. That’s because if your cake pan is dark in color, it needs additional time. Look at the recipe instructions you are making; Usually it’s only five or ten more minutes.
- Cool silicone parts after cooking: You will need at least 30 to 45 minutes for a cake cooked in a silicone mold to cool completely.
- Cool it: When your cake is cold, simply flip the mold to peel it off.
Are silicone baking molds better than traditional baking pans?
|Advantages|| Ease of Transport.
Ideal for gifts.
| They bake evenly.
Conduct heat well.
| They do not stick.
Easy to wash.
| Easy to clean.
| Long duration.
Cook very fast.
| Last a lifetime.
Perfect heat distribution.
|Disadvantages|| They generate waste, they are not ecological.
Hard to un-mold food.
They can tear.
| Take more time to bake.
They get sticky over time.
| More baking time.
The cakes don’t rise much.
| They can deform.
They can close badly if they are removable.
| They are expensive.
Due to their strange shapes, more time is required to grease them.
After having seen and analyzed all the possible dangers and the advice on how to use a silicone mold properly, we want to close this guide with these important criteria that you should never forget when you are about to choose your favorite product.
When we talk about baking molds, we refer to silicone as the synthetic polymer. These products were considered safe by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration of the United States) in 1979. The silicone used in baking utensils is inert, so it is not toxic and will not harm food in any way.
All baking products must be manufactured to meet FDA safety standards and silicone molds in contact with food are no exception. As they are approved, even if the temperature exceeds the range allowed for safety, the molds, however, will not emit toxic gases.
View this post on Instagram
For those that asked these silicone baking cups are AMAZING 😍😍 they’re from @amazon, of course! I definitely recommend getting them! . . . Also going to include my recipe for these 💣 quinoa muffins 🤤 QUINOA MUFFINS 1 cup quinoa (uncooked) 1/4 vegetable oil 2 cups all purpose flour 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 1/2 raisins (I also add chocolate chips, optional) 3/4 cup milk 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla extract DIRECTIONS : 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium sauce pan cook quinoa 2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, raisins and 2 cups of quinoa reserve any leftover quinoa for another use 3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk , egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined; divide batter among prepared muffin cups. 4. Bake for 25-30 mins. Store in an air tire container for up to 5 days
Many people have highlighted odors when baking with silicone. It seems that these aromas are related to the use of fillers in the final product. That is why it is important that you keep in mind that as they are so popular, many low-quality molds have been manufactured with the aim of selling more.
When you by online, you have the benefit of the experience of hundreds (sometimes thousands) of others, so be sure to read the comments of the users who will surely say if they have had a bad experience. If they report strange smells the molds may have added fillers. And, although they do not pose risks for this reason, we recommend looking for silicone molds made by renowned manufacturers.
Size and Shape
According to the objective of using silicone molds, you should look for which molds are right for you. If you want to cook a cake, you will clearly not need molds shaped like animals or geometric shapes. In that case, just look for a tray of the size you want. However, if you’re baking cookies, some figures give them a special touch.
Now that we have analyzed these useful products, it is time for you to take action to choose your own silicone baking molds. Whether you are a professional caterer or if you bake only sporadically, everything outlined in the previous paragraphs will help you to make a sound purchase of silicone baking molds.
Don’t forget to share this article on social media and comment below. We would be happy to hear from you!
(Source of featured image: Andiafaith: 17441677/ 123rf.com)