Today, North Americans continue to accumulate more things while living spaces also keep getting smaller. This means that having an organized home can be difficult to maintain, especially if you don’t have the time for upkeep, or you if you live in a small space. Moreover, you may also be one of those people who loves acquiring new shoes with the passing of the seasons. If you’re often searching for that missing shoe in the midst of all the clutter, a shoe rack will come in very handy.
Even though these are functional items which help you organize your shoe collection and closet, they may also work as decorative items that will add to the style of your home. These items are also called shoe organizers, and they are known for their ability to truly make life a little bit easier. If you’re running out of storage space but you also still want to keep adding to your shoe collection, shoe racks will help you find space in places where you thought there was none.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best shoe racks on the U.S. market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about shoe racks
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Shoe racks are a simple solution for storing and organizing all of your footwear in an orderly and accessible way, regardless of how much or how little space you have in your home.
- Shoe rack models are made in a variety of styles with different features, you can find models that may seem tailored-made to fit your available space or truly innovative designs. However, before making your purchase, it is very important to know where you will be placing the shoe rack. This small detail will help you determine what its dimensions and shape should be.
- These pieces of organizational furniture have become increasingly popular in big cities like New York and San Francisco, where apartment sizes keep getting smaller and smaller. Since in North America you can find many different models made with varying features and materials, you’re sure to find the perfect model to suit your needs.
Ranking: The best shoe racks on the U.S. market
The United States market offers a large selection of shoe racks made to fit shoes of any season. You’ll have no problem finding shoe racks to store all your sandals, shoes and even winter boots. In this section, we have selected the best models available to you. As always, this ranking features top-quality products that offer you the best value for your money.
No. 1: SONGMICS — Stackable, Cube Shoe Rack
This stackable, 16-cubed shoe rack by SONGMICS is the perfect storage solution for any home. Because of it’s adaptable design, this shoe rack can be assembled in a multitude of different ways, ideal for narrow or hidden spaces. Each cube has dimensions of 8.7”L x 13.8”W x 6.8”H, made of PP plastic sheets with a sturdy metal wire frame. It comes in both black and translucent white. Each one holds up to 10 lbs, allowing for the whole rack to hold at least 16 pairs of women’s, men’s and children’s shoes.
Although the primary function of this storage unit is for holding shoes, the practicality of these individual cubes allow it to be a multi-purpose house accessory. Whether in the kitchen, bedroom or living room, this unit can be used to store bags, toys, clothes and can even be used as a DIY playpen to keep your kids or pets out of unsupervised areas. Consumers love it’s durability, how easy it is to clean off dirt and dust, and the versatility of its design. The manufacturer promises a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
No. 2: Bextsware — 3-Tier Shoe Rack
This shoe rack by Bextsware is one of the best racks for the best value. Coming in at a very affordable $27.99, it has an extremely long life due to its power coated finish that provides corrosion resistance. It’s simple metal design is suitable for any home, whether indoors, outdoors or in the garage. It comes with an easily adjustable design, allowing you to store various sizes of shoes, even the highest of boots.
This 3-tiered shoe rack easily holds 9-10 pairs of shoes, depending on size. Customers love that it’s easy to install and Bextware offers a 30-day full money back guarantee with a 360 day replacement and lifetime customer warranty. Customers love that it’s easy to install, taking less than 5 minutes. Because of this easy to set up design, multiple shoe racks can be combined to form one large one, perfect for large spaces and large families.
No. 3: SONGMICS — 3-Tier Bamboo Shoe Rack
One of amazon’s best sellers, the bamboo shoe rack by SONGMICS comes in a beautiful maple wood color made of 100% natural bamboo; completely renewable and natural. Well worth the extra money, this stable and robust rack can hold up to a very impressive 264 lbs. It’s smooth edges and sunken screws prevent any snagging of clothes and bags. This heavy duty slatted bench top is a combo shoe rack and storage bench. Able to hold bags, toys, shoes, tools and so much more!
With the ideal dimensions of 27.6”L x 11”W x 17.7”H, it can fit in the hallway, closet, living room, bedroom or patio. It has an easy set up, taking no more than a few minutes with only a few simple steps. Thanks to the galvanized and rust-proof metal pats, this shoe rack remains sturdy before and after assembly, lasting for years. Each shoe-rack comes with easy to follow instructions and friendly customer service representatives at hand to help with any concerns or issues you might have.
No. 4: Homebi — 4-Tier Metal Shoe Rack
This 4-Tiered Shoe Rack by Homebi is one of Amazon’s choice products, made not only to store shoes, but can also be used as a multi-purpose organizing unit. Perfect for any entryway or garage, this storage unit is made of powder-coated metal tubes and high quality plastic connector pieces. The diameter of each metal tube is 13.2 mm, enabling it to withstand heavier loads. The special powder-coated finish does not rust or corrode with normal use.
With an extremely affordable price, this shoe-rack can hold up to 20 pairs of shoes and is perfect for larger, more robust shoes. This distance between each tier is about 7.48”, making it ideal for boots or high top shoes. It has a very easy assembly and comes with extra parts in case of destructive kids or pets! Buyers love how lightweight and large it is, able to accommodate shoes of any size; fitting perfectly in small closets.
No. 5: Seville Classics — 3 -Tier Shoe Rack
The shoe rack by Seville is a classic take on a slatted shoe rack that comes in a beautiful espresso color, a functional design and an affordable price, making it one of Amazon’s best sellers. It’s design comes with 3 tiers, allowing you to store up to 9-10 pairs of shoes. Buyers have the option of buying a 1-pack or 2-pack, with the ability to stack and interlock them together, offering greater storage space.
Each resin slat shelf holds up to 30 lbs. The special espresso finish provides corrosion resistance in even the driest of environments. The iron frame delivers strength and stability, but comes in an easy to fold design, folding flat for easy storage. Seville has manufactured the best design with a simple assembly. One reviewer stating it took them longer to open the box than it did to assemble the shelf! This long-lasting shoe-rack is the best option for the best value.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about shoe racks
As American cities keep growing and expanding, the size of homes in these communities keep getting smaller. This has increased the need for better organization within homes, which has in turn created a need for organizational furniture like shoe racks — essential items that help you organize your footwear in a practical and effortless way. Shoe racks can be made of fabric, metal, plastic and sometimes wood. There’s a lot to know, but don’t worry, in this next section we go over all of the most frequently asked questions buyers have when looking for shoe racks. It is our hope this information will help you find the best shoe rack for you.
What is a shoe rack exactly?
Shoe organizers are added organizational furniture built to help you store and organize all different types of footwear. Moreover, because online shopping is becoming the norm here in the United States, you now have a large range of innovative shoe racks available to you with the click of a button. The first models of shoe racks were bulky and made of wood, today, you can find lightweight models made of fabric or plastic. With diverse installation systems such as hanging, modular or other alternative setups which are often tailored to cover more specific needs.
The one thing they all have in common, is that they will all serve as tools to help you store and organize all of your shoes. The best thing is that nowadays, shoe racks truly come in all shapes and sizes: certain models are designed to fit under your bed, others come in modular designs working as shelves, while some are made from fabric and hung behind a door or inside your closet. All this choice basically means you will always be able to find the right product to work with your space and needs.
What are other names for shoe racks?
As we mentioned at the beginning of this article, these sidekicks are also known as shoe organizers. Nonetheless, however you call them, their function remains the same: helping you store and organize footwear. Moreover, even though in the United States these items are best known as shoe racks, some Amerians also refer to this type of organizational furniture as shoe cabinets or shoe cupboard furniture.
What are the advantages of having a shoe rack?
Do you remember the days when you used to keep all of your shoes scattered on the floor of your closet, or when the best storage place you could find was underneath your bed? These days are long gone. Today, you can find many great storage alternatives, at a much more affordable cost than the bulky wooden furniture of the past. Below, you can find a list of the many advantages these pieces of furniture offer:
- Organization: Living in a disorganized environment has been known to negatively affect your mood. A shoe rack will not only help you know exactly where your favorite pair of shoes are at all times, it will also make it easier to maintain an organized home, something everyone can appreciate.
- Space management: Shoe racks are ideal furniture add-ons to help you make the most out of the space you already have, especially if you live in a small home. To find space where you didn’t have any before, you can simply slide your shoe rack under your bed, hang it behind a door or place it at the top of a closet… these are just a few of the many possibilities!
- Decoration: With the right combination of shapes, colors and materials, a well-designed and thought out shoe rack can become an integral part of your home decor. If you know how to play with space and colors, you won’t even have to invest a lot to find the perfect fit.
- Preservation: A shoe rack is the best option when looking to properly store and preserve your favorite pair of shoes. With shoe organizers, your footwear is protected from dust and other harmful external agents. The use of these organizing tools will increase the durability of your shoes, especially if the alternative is leaving them scattered all over the place.
- Tailored made location: One of the biggest benefits of these items, is that you can place a shoe rack wherever you want. Simply choose the right size and shape for the space and remember that a balcony will work just as well as a bathroom or a bedroom.
- Make your shoes accessible: Another great advantage of this type of furniture is that you won’t need to spend much time trying to find the right pair of shoes. No more having to turn the room up-side-down to find that one missing shoe.
- Easy to maintain: Whether the shoe rack is made of plastic, wood, metal or fabric, it will always be simple to clean. Generally, they don’t require much more than wiping it down with a damp cloth from time to time.
What types of shoe racks are available out there?
As you may have noticed from the selection of shoe racks we presented to you on our ranking, the wide range of models available can mean that picking the right shoe rack isn’t always a simple task. Each individual will have to consider a number of different factors to find the right model that will suit their needs. Make sure to consider how many pairs of shoes and how much space you have, for example. In the table below, we’ve outlined some of the main types of shoe racks, as well as their key features:
|Type of shoe rack||Key feature|
|Plastic for closets and shelves||One of the most common models, the great advantage of this type of shoe rack is that they can be adjusted to the size of the shoes you want to store in them.|
|Fabric||Another common option, it is ideally used to decorate a room without making it obvious that it is a shoe rack. These products are decorative, affordable and highly functional.|
|Hanging fabric||These models are extremely practical, as you can hang them inside your wardrobe or behind a door. This affordable option is ideal if you have little space available.|
|Modular design in stackable boxes||The number one advantage of this type of shoe rack is that you can adapt it to fit exactly in the space you have available, both vertically and horizontally. This affordable option can also be of decorative use.|
|Stackable boxes||This type of shoe organizer is perfect to slide under your bed, or even to place on top of your closet without disturbing your home decor. These models are affordable and very versatile.|
|Wooden auxiliary furniture||These are the most traditional shoe racks, they are made in the shape of wooden shelves, sitting benches or little shoe closets.|
|Metal or plastic shelves||Like the previous models, they are a classic model and they come in different shapes and sizes — However, they are made from more affordable materials.|
|Rotating shoe rack||Featuring a design like that of a coat hanger, several shelve pieces for your footwear are placed along a rotating pole. Their design is truly original and can be manufactured from wood or several other materials. They usually offer little or limited storage capacity.|
|Folding racks||These shoe racks are placed in drawers and closets. They are designed to stack your shoes vertically and are the perfect design for small bedrooms. They are often integrated onto wooden furniture.|
What should I do before storing my shoes in a shoe rack?
If you want to keep your shoes in their best shape, there are a few steps you can follow before storing them in a shoe rack. Keep in mind that shoes have a tendency to absorb body odours and can give off unpleasant smells overtime. For this reason, it is important to consider maintaining their hygiene before storing them away. Below you can find a list with some of the things to keep in mind when trying to avoid these unpleasant smells:
- Closed spaces: Whether you opt for a classic shoe rack or a more modern design, whether it ends up being bade made from fabric, wood or plastic — Regardless of these details, you should always leave your shoes airing out for a few hours before storing them in a shoe rack. If you’re leaving them outside of the house, avoid leaving them in the sun or in the rain.
- Sterilizing: You will find there are powders or sprays that are made specifically for cleaning shoes and shoe racks. Moreover, if you have a shoe organizer that is closed, a simple yet effective trick is to leave lavender, rosemary or peppermint leaves in it.
- Ventilation: The majority of modern shoe racks feature holes to allow proper ventilation. If the model you choose doesn’t already incorporate these, you can always make your own holes in the unit.
- Insoles: Before storing your sports shoes, we recommend you remove and wash the insoles — once they are dry, leave them outside of the shoes until you need them again.
- Preventing moisture: Placing newspaper inside your shoes will help absorb their moisture. This is a great tip if you’re planning on keeping your footwear in a sealed place for long periods of time.
- Cleaning: You should clean your shoe rack at least once a week or every two weeks. A simple wipe down with a wet cloth will suffice for most models and materials. Using disinfectant will also help prevent the proliferation of bacteria or other harmful organisms like mould or fungus.
How should I organize my shoes?
After you’ve found the appropriate shoe organizer for your space, the next important step is organizing your shoes in such a way that they are easy to find and access at any point in time. There are many ways of doing this: frequency of use, by season, comfort or even by color. Today, there are even mobile apps that use geolocation to help you find your shoes right away.
If you want to get the shoe rack that is right for your home and needs, there are a few criteria you should consider when browsing through different models. Some of these aspects include its color, size and dimensions among others. Keeping these things in mind will help you find a product that is not only inline with your home decor, but it will also be a practical solution to any storage or organizational needs. To help you out, in this next section we’ve included all the relevant criteria to keep in mind at the time of purchase.
- Reviews and ratings
The first thing you should consider is placement: where exactly are you planning to set the shoe rack? More often than not, the people who use this type of organizational items tend to have little space. Despite the increasing lack of space in North American homes, there are plenty of options when it comes to shoe rack systems. Today you can find the right model to fit under your bed, in the bathroom, hallway closet, living room and even the garage or a balcony. The shape of the shoe organizer you choose will also depend on the style of the room and the space it is intended for.
For example, you would probably want to opt for bright colored shoe racks for a kids room, while a more elegant and decorative piece may be better suited for the living room. Moreover, if you love switching into your house slippers as soon as you get home, there are innovative and inconspicuous models available for the entrance of your home. Since the market offers such a wide selection of shoe organizers you are sure to find the exact shoe rack you want.
It should go without saying that the space you have available for the shoe rack is another key criterion to consider before making your purchase. For example, you may want to choose a furniture design that matches the decor in your room. However, this space may already have too much in it, forcing you to opt for a more practical model – one that goes behind a door or that fits into a small empty corner for instance.
This criteria goes hand in hand with the previous one we just mentioned. If you have limited space, you really cannot overlook the size of the item you choose. It is important to take into consideration the space it will occupy and then measure the height, length and width of the item you choose. Neglecting this criteria may leave you with a piece of furniture that is half an inch too big, creating more problems instead of solutions.
When it comes to the shoe capacity of the item you choose, all you have to do is ask yourself how many pairs of shoes do you need to store? Do you want to opt for a single shoe rack for all your footwear, or do you want to further organize them and get several smaller organizers for better inventory and access. In any of these cases, just make sure to count all the boots, sandals, slippers and other sports shoes you want to store and organize. This step is essential if you want to buy a model that easily fits all your current and future footwear.
As with most goods, the price of a shoe rack is directly influenced by the materials it is made with. The best manufacturing material for your shoe rack will depend on its intended use. For example, you may simply want a temporary shoe organizer for your child’s dorm room. However, for more permanent storage and organizational solutions, we would suggest you to opt for a quality and durable product that is made from metal, wood or plastic.
Reviews and ratings
Looking at other consumer reviews is a good way to have a better idea about the reality of the product you are looking to purchase. As always, we would like to encourage you to read the comments of the product you choose, as these may sometimes include technical aspects that can be of use to you, especially if you are looking for a very specific model to suit very specific needs. Looking at consumer reviews can be a game changer when it comes to making the right choice.
Shoe racks are the perfect organizational add-ons designed to help you sort and store all of your footwear. In The United States, you can find such a wide range of designs, that it can sometimes be hard to find the right product. The good news is that online shopping has opened up access to all the information you need, while also giving you access to all of the different options out there — making it possible for you to find and buy the best shoe organizer for your specific needs.
In order to make the most successful purchase, make sure you take into account the purchase criteria we outlined in the last section. Things like where you’re planning to place your shoe rack, how many shoes you want to store or the space you have available in your room are some of the key factors to consider. However, the budget you’re willing to dedicate to this piece of furniture is just as important. Regardless of the model you choose, we hope this guide helped you find the right one.
If you liked our article, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment with your thoughts in the section below!
(Source of featured image: Belchonock: 99533134/ 123rf.com)