Eating well can be a challenge these days. Whether it is a lack of time or talent in the kitchen, some people end up resorting to fast food more than they should. Although at times fast food it a useful and convenient resource, it should not be abused. There is an alternative to fast food that can be healthy and very easy to make. A sandwich maker can be the key to preparing a quick and tasty meal.
Fast food can mean both healthy dishes such as gourmet salads or sandwiches and not-so-healthy food such as hot dogs or hamburgers. The interesting fact is that both are prepared in just a few minutes. A sandwich maker is a fantastic option when it comes to making a quick, healthy snack. What makes them even more appealing is that there are also many healthy recipes and buying one is inexpensive. Today we have prepared the following shopping guide so you can buy a sandwich maker and start making healthy meals at home for you and your family.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best sandwich makers on the U.S. market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about sandwich makers
- 3.1 What is a sandwich maker and how do they work?
- 3.2 How do I use a sandwich maker?
- 3.3 What types of sandwich makers are there?
- 3.4 What sandwiches can I make?
- 3.5 How do I clean a sandwich maker?
- 3.6 What bread do I use in a sandwich maker?
- 3.7 What are the advantages and disadvantages of sandwich makers?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- A sandwich maker is an electrical appliance that is used to make sandwiches. When it comes to using one of these devices to make a delicious snack, there are some functions of the appliance that you must take into account. Not all devices offer the same features.
- Size is an important aspect when purchasing a sandwich maker. Depending on your situation you may want a small, simple model. Alternatively, a large, advanced appliance may suit you better.
- When choosing a sandwich maker you must take into account the price. When comparing products you will discover that there are significant differences in price between the models. You should decide whether you want to pay more for innovative features or recognized brands.
- You should check that the sandwich maker model allows you to make sandwiches with several layers. If the sandwich maker allows it, you’ll be able to make some interesting and tasty creations.
Ranking: The best sandwich makers on the U.S. market
To make the best possible purchase it is essential that you know the characteristics of the best and most purchased sandwich maker models. Below we have created a list of the best sandwich models based on value for money, price, quality, and customer reviews. Therefore, take a close look at this list to see if there is a product that interests you.
No. 1: Proctor Silex 25408Y Sandwich Toaster
With the Proctor Silex sandwich maker, you can turn a plain sandwich into a delicious snack in just minutes. With this affordable household appliance, you will be able to make tasty toasted sandwiches or mouth-watering pizza pockets. The plates of this sandwich maker are made from a non-stick material that makes it a breeze to clean after cooking.
The slim, compact design makes storage simple as this appliance can be stored upright in any kitchen cabinet. The power and preheat lights show you when the sandwich maker is ready to use so that you can quickly make a yummy sandwich. Proctor Silex tests all their appliances to ensure that they can stand the test of time and deliver you top quality sandwiches for years.
No. 2: George Foreman 4-Serving Removable Plate Grill and Panini Press
The George Foreman grills and sandwich makers are a household name across the U.S. and around the world. These appliances are renowned for delivering quality in the kitchen at affordable prices. The 4-serving area of this sandwich grill is ideal for making delicious toasted sandwiches or paninis. As this appliance is also a grill, it can be also used for other recipes such as grilled chicken or vegetables.
The advanced non-stick plates have better durability of previous coatings and remove the need for excess oil or butter during cooking so that you can make healthier sandwiches. The plates are completely removable so that cleaning is incredibly quick and easy. By buying a George Forman sandwich press you will be making a quality investment in a reputable brand that has been proven to last.
No. 3: Breville BSG520XL Panini Duo 1500-Watt Nonstick Panini Press
Breville is another one of those brands that are synonymous with producing quality kitchen appliances that last for a long time. Whether it is coffee machines, kettles or sandwich makers, Breville is the type of brand that you can rely on to provide well-made products. The Breville Panini Duo is a fantastic grill for making tasty paninis or sandwiches, quickly and easily.
The Panini Duo model has a 1500-watt heating element that heats up quickly and spreads out the heat evenly so that you can prepare any type of toasted sandwich in minutes. The top plate of the appliance is adjustable so that you can choose the height that you want. The grill surfaces are made with a non-stick, scratch-proof surface that is very easy to clean.
No. 4: T-fal Sandwich and Waffle Maker
The T-fal sandwich and waffle maker features 2 sets of interchangeable sandwich and waffle plates so that you can make many different snacks, depending on what you feel like. With this appliance, you could easily prepare two square-shaped Belgian-style waffles for breakfast and then switch up the plates to make a toasted sandwich for lunch. From a Sunday brunch with the family to quick weekday lunches, the T-fal sandwich and waffle maker offers ease of use for a variety of sweet and savory recipes.
T-fal has a simple promise when it comes to their kitchen appliances: to make life a little easier without compromising results. This is exactly what their sandwich and waffle maker will offer you and your family. For a versatile kitchen appliance that the whole family can enjoy, take a look at this inexpensive option.
No. 5: Hamilton Beach Dual Breakfast Sandwich Maker
If you’ve ever made breakfast sandwiches at home, you’ll know that it’s a multi-step process that often requires more than one pan and a toaster. Well, with the Hamilton Beach Dual Breakfast Sandwich Maker, you can forget all those complicated processes and prepare a quick, tasty breakfast sandwich with minimal effort.
With this innovative appliance, all you have to do is choose the bread and fillings, add them into the separate compartments and start the magic. With the Hamilton Beach Dual Breakfast Sandwich Maker, you can even make a fried egg in your breakfast sandwich. In less than 5 minutes you will have two well-made, ready-to-go sandwiches that you eat on your way out the door. Cleanup is a breeze as all removable parts can simply go in the dishwasher.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about sandwich makers
We have prepared the following shopping guide so that you can get the best sandwich maker on the market and make delicious snacks whenever you want. The best product on the market will be the one that fulfills all your expectations and is within your budget. There are a number of questions that we recommend you ask in order to make the best possible decision. Pay close attention to the following section as we answer the most common questions among customers.
What is a sandwich maker and how do they work?
A sandwich maker is a household appliance that is used to toast two slices of your favorite bread on both sides at the same time. However, unlike a toaster, between the two slices of bread, you add different ingredients such as ham, tomato, cheese, and much more. The bread is placed on the plates that are heated to a high temperature. Thanks to the design and materials of a sandwich maker, heat does not escape from the appliance and the bread is toasted well.
Sandwich makers are made with non-stick plates so that food does not stick to the surface of the appliance. These appliances are safe and very easy to use. All you have to do is place the sandwich on the plates with all the ingredients inside and allow it to toast. You can try out different recipes to see what tastes you like and what combinations work well. Of course, taking care not to burn the bread is very important.
How do I use a sandwich maker?
Using a sandwich maker is by no means complicated. This is why they are the perfect option for a quick lunch or dinner. If you select the right ingredients, you can easily make healthy and filling sandwiches as well. However, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to get the most out of a sandwich maker. Below we elaborate on the key aspects to consider:
- Learn. It may be obvious, but the first thing you must do is learn how to use a sandwich maker. To achieve this you should start by reading the instructions of the product carefully. Pay attention to all the details and warnings. If in doubt, there is usually a customer service helpline to phone.
- Time. Another aspect to pay attention to is the time it takes to make a toasted sandwich. This, of course, depends on how you like your toasted sandwiches, either well toasted, barely toasted or somewhere in between. A lot will depend on the power of the appliance as to how fast the bread toasts. Often the best way to determine the time required is by trial and error.
- Capacity. Most sandwich maker models have the capacity to make two or four sandwiches at the same time. Keep in mind that if you prepare one sandwich at a time you will be wasting energy.
- Thickness. You should take into account the sandwich thickness that the maker can take. There are some models that allow you to prepare sandwiches of multiple levels or with many ingredients inside. When buying bread at the supermarket, consider the thickness and size of the bread.
- Cleaning. Most people are always in a rush but don’t be tempted to store the appliance in the cupboard without cleaning it. It is recommended to clean the sandwich maker as soon as possible. It will be easier for you to clean the appliance while it is still slightly hot. Doing this will allow you to get all the dirt and grease off easily. Always remember to clean the sandwich maker unplugged.
- Storage. Some models allow for vertical storage, which saves a lot of space. To get in the habit of using your sandwich maker frequently, it is a good idea to store the appliance in an easy to reach place.
- Care. It is important that you take care of your sandwich maker so that it lasts as long as possible. We recommend using wooden utensils when moving the sandwich around on the non-stick plates. You should avoid using a metal knife as these can damage the non-stick layer.
What types of sandwich makers are there?
On the market, you will find many different kinds of sandwich makers available. It is important that you understand the differences between each type so that you can choose the model that meets your needs. In the following table, we present the most common sandwich makers and their key characteristics. It is important that you assess every aspect to choose the model that best suits you.
|Sandwich maker type||Features|
|With detachable plates|| Various uses
Easy to clean
|3 in 1|| Makes sandwiches
Works as a grill, sandwich or waffle maker
More versatile model and offers you more possibilities
|Grill sandwich maker|| Ability to make sandwiches and cook other foods
Similar to the 3 in 1
What sandwiches can I make?
Many people who own a sandwich maker simply prepare the typical toasted sandwiches, i.e. ham and cheese. This is a toasted sandwich that almost everyone likes, so it can be a great recipe and a back-up plan. However, there are so many other options that it doesn’t hurt to experiment every once in a while. Below we list some of the more interesting toasted sandwich recipes:
|Croque-monsieur||2 slices of bread, 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of ham, grated cheese and bechamel (bechamel sauce)||First make a ham and cheese sandwich, pour the bechamel on top and the grated cheese and add the top slice of bread. Grill until well-toasted.|
|Russian salad sandwich||Remains of a potato salad and 2 slices of bread||Prepare a sandwich with the remains of a potato salad or make this dish to use as a filling. We recommend that you be generous with the amount of filling.|
|Turkey and apple sandwich||2 slices of bread, 4 turkey slices, 1 lettuce leaf, apple sauce, 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of ketchup||Place all the ingredients inside a sandwich a toast.|
|Crab and shrimp sandwich||2 slices of bread, 4 crab sticks, 4 shrimps, 1 boiled egg, 1 teaspoon of finely chopped onion and 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise||Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add to a sandwich. Toast until light brown.|
How do I clean a sandwich maker?
It is very important that you clean your sandwich maker properly to avoid any bacteria from growing or smells in the kitchen cupboards. Thanks to the non-stick surface of the sandwich maker plates, it is very quick and easy to clean a sandwich maker. Firstly, let the sandwich maker cool down, but not completely. Then take a kitchen towel or paper towel and remove any leftover ingredients that are on the plates. Be very careful not to burn yourself during this step.
If the plates of the sandwich maker are removable, it will be even easier to clean the appliance. There are even models that allow you to put the plates in the dishwasher. If the plates are not removable, use a well-wrung dishcloth after wiping off the excess food with a paper towel. Take the dishcloth and place it inside the appliance and close the lid. Leave the cloth in between for just five seconds and then remove it. That’s it, all the grease should be removed and the appliance can be safely packed away.
What bread do I use in a sandwich maker?
There are different types of bread that you can use to make your toasted sandwiches. This is without a doubt, the most important choice when it comes to making a sandwich. We say this because the bread is the main ingredient of a sandwich. Below we’ve prepared this brief summary of the best types of breads that you can use in a toasted sandwich:
- Rye bread. You can find rye bread in slices or you can buy it as a loaf and cut it at home. It is less spongy than sliced bread and you should watch that the slices are not too thick.
- Sourdough bread. Also is available in slices and can be used to prepare delicious sandwiches. One of the healthier options.
- White bread. This is the most typical bread for a sandwich and is also the easiest to toast. White bread almost always comes sliced and the sizes are perfect for a sandwich maker.
- Whole wheat bread. This is the healthiest option for making a sandwich. Make sure that the bread really is wholemeal.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of sandwich makers?
Without a doubt, having a sandwich maker is a great option to prepare lunches or dinners, as well as a quick breakfast or a snack whenever you are hungry. There are many advantages to a sandwich maker that it seems like a simple decision. However, as with almost everything, it is possible to find some small inconveniences, even if only tiny. The following table lists the advantages and disadvantages of sandwich makers:
When looking for the perfect sandwich maker there are a number of things you should keep in mind in order to make a good decision. There are certain aspects that will allow you to make a confident and long-lasting purchase. It is very important that you pay attention to the following section and keep this criterion in mind when you are selecting your sandwich maker or comparing products. Here is what we recommend you take into account:
- Adjustable thermostat
The first aspect to decide is whether you want a sandwich maker that is specifically for making sandwiches or also works as a grill or waffle maker. The reality is that prices don’t tend to change whether it is a sandwich-only maker or a multi-functional appliance. That’s why you might find it beneficial to purchase a model that offers more than one function. Keep this aspect in mind.
We highly recommend to chose a sandwich maker model that has an adjustable thermostat. This will help you easily regulate the temperature of the appliance and adjust it to make the perfect sandwich. This function will give you control of toasting the bread exactly how you like. It is generally worth paying a little extra for a sandwich maker with an adjustable thermostat.
The capacity of the sandwich maker is another fundamental aspect to consider prior to making a purchase. You may be interested in a model that allows you to make two or four sandwiches at the same time. You should consider the number of people in your family when deciding on the capacity of the appliance. If you live alone then perhaps a simple sandwich maker with capacity for 2 sandwiches will be sufficient.
It is also important that you assess the size of the sandwich that you can toast in the appliance. It is highly recommended to purchase a sandwich maker that allows thick or multi-layer sandwiches. With all the amazing recipes out there it can be frustrating to be restricted by a small sandwich maker.
The power of the sandwich maker is another very important aspect to take into account. Keep in mind that the hotter the sandwich maker is, the less time it will take for the sandwiches to be ready. As is expected, the more powerful the sandwich maker is, the higher the price. If you want solid results in terms of toasting/cooking speed, we recommend looking for a sandwich maker above 700 W.
It is essential that the sandwich maker model that you chose has non-stick plates. Practically every sandwich maker on the market has these, but double-check just to make sure. This is an important aspect because it makes cleaning far easier. It also toasts the bread better by toasting more evenly.
It is very important that the sandwich maker complies with all safety regulations. It must have an on/off button so that you don’t need to unplug the device just to turn it off. Also, ensure that the appliance has a plastic handle to open it that does not become hot. This will ensure that there is no burning risk whilst making your sandwiches.
A sandwich maker is a fantastic household appliance that will allow you to easily prepare all types of sandwiches. You should keep in mind the sandwich thickness that the model you choose allows. Also, ensure that the plates are non-stick and that it has the necessary safety features. In addition, there are some models that are multi-functional and work as grills or waffle makers. Keep this in mind as a multi-purpose sandwich maker may be more useful for you.
On the market, you will find different sandwich maker models. Carefully analyze your needs as well as the performance of the model that best suits you. Make sure the appliance that you select has all the features that are important to you. From a price perspective, ensure that the price is a reflection of the appliance’s performance and features rather than simply the brand name. Taking into consideration all these factors will ensure that you make a quality purchase.
If you found our sandwich maker shopping guide interesting, don’t forget to share it on your social networks.
(Source of featured image: Vladimir Cosic: 105623617/ 123rf.com