How we pick our products
Are you ready to release your adrenaline, let go of stress or simply relax? These are some of the reasons you should start practicing one of the oldest sports in History. Going off on a punching bag can help you get away almost as much as your favorite summer holiday.
You will likely want to get training once you find out that you can do great boxing workouts right from the comfort of your own home. This is one of the main benefits of a punching bag. You get access to a great cardio and strength workout right in your house, without having to go to a busy gym or rec-center.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best punching bags on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about punching bags
- 3.1 What is a punching bag exactly?
- 3.2 What types of punching bags are available out there?
- 3.3 What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a punching bag?
- 3.4 Why does boxing release stress and tension?
- 3.5 What are the health benefits of using a punching bag?
- 3.6 What should I keep in mind when starting on my punching bag?
- 3.7 What is the best exercise routine for my bag?
- 3.8 What should I eat for boxing?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Punching bags are ideal for boxing without wasting time and money on gyms or other training centers.
- You’ll find two main types of bags: those hanging from the ceiling or wall (currently the most in demand) and free-standing bags.
- This type of fitness product is great for busy people, or those for whom heading to the gym is difficult. You’ll also be interested if you want to improve your technique at home.
Ranking: The best punching bags on the U.S. Market
Here is our top 3 of the best punching bags you can find on the U.S. market. The following section was designed to teach you what you need to find which model is the right one for you or your loved ones. You will also learn all about the different shapes, coating materials and types so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
- No. 1: Dripex – Freestanding Punching Bag
- No. 2: Everlast – P00001222 40lb Heavy Bag
- No. 3: Last Punch – Black Canvas Punching Bag
- No. 4: Everlast – Traditional Heavy Bag Kit
- No. 5: Ringside – 40lb Heavy Punching Bag Kit
No. 1: Dripex – Freestanding Punching Bag
Dripex’s Freestanding Punching Bag is a great freestanding bag that fits conveniently in any home, gym, or office. If you have an even surface and the space to use it, you can set this bag up anywhere. The bag stands roughly 69 inches tall, and is a must-have tool for building both strength and endurance. The rounded ABS bottom is made to be easily rollable so you can change the bag’s location easily.
This is a high quality product, and the stainless steel tube stand and 2mm-thick PU leather bag cover, and durable EPE foam stuffing means this bag can take a beating. You can fill the base of this freestanding bag with either water or sand, but sand is recommended for maximum stability. Best of all, this is one easy bag to set up. You shouldn’t need more than 10 minutes out of the box before you are boxing, exercising, and getting fit.
No. 2: Everlast – P00001222 40lb Heavy Bag
For anyone who knows anything about boxing, Everlast needs no introduction. One of the premier boxing accessories and bag manufacturers, Everlast has been making top-of-the-line bags for decades. Made with quality synthetic leather with reinforced webbing, unless you are hitting this bag like Mike Tyson, it will last for many years. The standard 40 pound bag is great for both amateurs and professionals.
Everlast does make hard bags, so make sure to wear gloves while using this punching bag. The durable nylon makes it easy to suspend this bag from the ceiling, and the heavy-duty chain ensures you can practice without the bag falling. The bag is easy to hang, but you should take into consideration its space requirements once it is up – especially if you are going to use it for kicking exercises as well.
No. 3: Last Punch – Black Canvas Punching Bag
This heavy black canvas bag by Last Punch is a great beginner heavy bag for those just getting into boxing, or for people just looking for a great aerobic exercise. It is 50 inches long with the chains attached to the ceiling and 17 inches wide. This bag is unlike most other pre-assembled heavy bags in that it does not come filled. You are in charge of filling it with whatever you like, but many people contend that sand is a great option.
For the price this bag is definitely hard to beat. The connecting straps are sturdy and well-connected, so you don’t have to worry about really putting this bag through its paces. Another great feature of this bag is that you can test out different filler materials to find one that suits your needs.
No. 4: Everlast – Traditional Heavy Bag Kit
The Everlast Traditional Heavy Bag Kit comes with a 70-pound bag, gloves specially designed for hitting the heavy bag, and 108-inch plastic hand wraps to ensure your hands are always protected. There is also a bungee cord included to add greater resistance to the bag. This professional style bag is available in both 70, and 100 pound weights, depending on your needs, experience, and strength.
The bags filling is a combination of natural and synthetic fibers combined with sifted sand, to give you the best, most professional workout possible. The adjustable height chain makes this a great bag for boxers of all heights, and the high quality Everlast gloves and wrap keep your hands protected at all times.
No. 5: Ringside – 40lb Heavy Punching Bag Kit
Ringside’s 40lb Heavy Punching Bag Kit comes with everything you need to get started boxing, either for sport, or training. This is a youth heavy bag, so it is significantly lighter than a full-size professional bag, but still able to train and provide a superb boxing workout to young and older people alike. The traditional red and black design and hand wraps are the perfect starter kit for boxers just starting out in the sport.
Designed for children and youth between the ages of 5-13, this bag takes into consideration this age groups considerably lower hand strength, and adjusts the resistance of the bag accordingly. While it is still heavy enough that it won’t fly around when struck, it still provides great movement that makes using the heavy bag one of the most fun boxing exercises out there.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about punching bags
What is a punching bag exactly?
What types of punching bags are available out there?
|Advantage||Takes up less space at home when in use||Easy to transport and store when not in use|
|Movement||More realistic. You work better on coordination and rhythm of blows||Moves much more, which can be uncomfortable|
|Weight||Its weight is more balanced. It is better suited for working on your technique||It can sway quite a bit with kicks|
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a punching bag?
Why does boxing release stress and tension?
What are the health benefits of using a punching bag?
- You burn calories at a good rate. High intensity cardio exercises make your body burn calories and fat at a quicker pace. This great option is perfect to lose weight and define your muscles, so don’t forget to work out at a high enough pace.
- Your legs work out too. A correct posture is key when you’re hitting the punching bag. This translates by a solid guard position and semi-flexed legs, which will also make you exercise your lower body. Many people don’t actually know that boxing is a great workout for your legs.
- Strong abs. Combining exercises with the punching bag makes you work on your cardiovascular capacities and your abdominal belt at the same time. This helps maintain a firm core throughout your workout. You’ll also be strengthening your lower belly and obliques when doing lateral punching exercises.
What should I keep in mind when starting on my punching bag?
What is the best exercise routine for my bag?
This common boxing exercise is called shadowing. You’ll be working very intensely on your abdomen, arms, chest and back. And it doesn’t stop there: you also need a great mobility of the waist, legs, ankles and buttocks for boxing, which will help tone up your body faster.
What should I eat for boxing?
Eating five meals a day, always staying hydrated and avoiding carbohydrates “because they are fat” are myths you shouldn’t believe, or they will eventually impact your body. Food is your body’s fuel and you’ll need a healthy and inclusive diet to bring quality and intensity into your training. Focusing on your nutrition is one way to improve even faster.
You’ll find a wide range of punching bags on the U.S. market, and we strongly encourage you to compare different models before make your purchase. We’ve designed this section to show you some of the key criteria to consider before you settle for a specific product. We hope this will help you choose the best punching bag for your needs.
Type of punching bag
Different types of punching bag comes with certain benefits and disadvantages, and you should always keep in mind what you expect your bag to deliver when you are using it. You also need to consider how big a bag is and how much space you have to accommodate it. Finally, take into consideration the unique design of the bag, including the materials and the aesthetic, to get the punching bag that makes the most sense for you.
Here are the different types of bags available:
- Pear-shaped bag: Ideal to improve hitting speed.
- Speed bag: Designed to improve your reflexes.
- Banana bag: Specifically designed for Muay Thai.
- Free-standing: Best for practicing punches and kicks in small spaces.
- Hanging bag: More comfortable and firmer, it improves your technique.
The recommended weight for your punching bag is approximately half of your own body weight. Bags of 20 kilos are mostly used by children and smaller women, while bags of around 35 kilos are recommended for people who weigh over 80 kilos. Bags of 45 kilos are ideal for athletes weighing 80 kilos and over.
You will quickly find out that different punching bags are optimal for different martial arts disciplines. Some are best suited for boxing, while others are tailored for kickboxing and/or Muay Thai. The firmness and height you’ll need will be defined by the type of martial art or sport you practice. Think carefully about your needs before making your purchase.
Experience and power
You might have already have considerable background boxing knowledge before buying your bag. You might already have good punching technique, and a heavier bag that doesn’t move around as much when struck probably makes more sense for you. MMA bags often move around more than boxing bags, which could be inconvenient, based on your needs, so take that into consideration as well.
Here are some common fillings used in punching bags: sand, water, crushed fibers and compressed fabric. It is not rare to see models mixing a couple of different fillers, which can also include an extra layer of foam inside. We suggest you buy a pre-filled bag to save yourself some hassle, but you can also use old clothes or rags if standard fillers aren’t an option for you.
The different coating materials you’ll find on the market are specific to different exercises or sports. Leather bags offer the best quality and have a longer useful life. Here is a list of the most common coating materials available on the market:
- Faux-leather: More affordable than leather, they imitate its feel.
- Canvas: Despite being of poorer quality, these models are more suitable for outdoor use because they are water resistant.
- Leather: They provide a more realistic hitting experience and won’t damage your hands or knuckles if you decide not to wear gloves.
Maintaining your health is of the utmost importance, which is why sports and physical activity should be an integral part of your life and exercise routine. It can be hard to get adequate exercise in, but buying exercise equipment you can use on your own, in your home, without having to go out can make a major difference.
We hope that you’ve learnt all the interesting features of punching bags and how they can help you stay in shape, especially when it comes to the colder months of the year. The numerous functionalities and affordable price of this product make it very attractive, but make sure you choose the most suitable punching bag for your needs.
If you liked the article, feel free to leave a comment in the section below and share it with your friends on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Khambubpha: 82249856/ 123rf.com)