How we pick our products
The safety of your future baby and you is the absolute priority. This is why companies specialized in childcare items have developed the pregnancy safety belt. We designed the following guide to help you choose the most convenient model by telling you everything you need to know about them.
Seat belts have been a mandatory accessory in cars since the 1960s, and their role has been fundamental in reducing motor vehicle fatalities ever since. It is now compulsory for everyone to wear a seat belt, and it is particularly important for pregnant women to do so. If you want to know why pregnancy seat belts are so useful, keep reading our guide!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Pregnancy Seat Belts on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Pregnancy Seat Belts
- 3.1 What is a pregnancy seat belt exactly?
- 3.2 Why is it recommended to use a pregnancy seat belt?
- 3.3 What are the benefits of a pregnancy seat belt?
- 3.4 What types of pregnancy seat belts are there on the market?
- 3.5 What are the primary recommendations for using a pregnancy seat belt?
- 3.6 When should I wear a pregnancy seat belt?
- 3.7 How should I use my pregnancy seat belt?
- 3.8 What are the risks of not wearing a pregnancy seat belt?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Pregnancy seat belts come in different designs. They can be cushions, straps that you adjust in the crotch area, or safety vests.
- You expose yourself and your baby to incredible risks if you forget to wear a seat belt while pregnant. It doubles the chance of having an infant with low birth weight and triples the likelihood of your child dying in an accident.
- You will have to evaluate various criteria before making your purchase. These include comfort and manufacturing materials, among others that we will discuss in the final section of the article.
Our Selection: The Best Pregnancy Seat Belts on the U.S. Market
If you’re searching the market for your own pregnancy seat belt and want to know which products other parents have appreciated, you will find the following section very helpful. We have selected the very best models currently on the market based on the reviews and ratings left by past buyers. You can learn more about each one to find the product that best fits your needs.
- Best-Selling Pregnancy Seat Belt
- Safest Pregnancy Seat Belt
- Most Practical Pregnancy Seat Belt
- Best Budget-Friendly Pregnancy Seat Belt
Best-Selling Pregnancy Seat Belt
No products found.
With dozens of high ratings and quality reviews from other moms, this seat belt adjuster by Easy Anywhere is as affordable as it is comfortable and safe. Its four-point safety system is designed to prevent any pressure on your belly, and you won’t need to be constantly readjusting it. In fact, it is also useful after birth if you had a C-section. Made from heavy-duty plastic, this pregnancy seat belt is available in different colors.
Safest Pregnancy Seat Belt
No products found.
Developed by Safe Ride 4 Kids, the Tummy Shield has gone well beyond standard regulations and was tested hundreds of times before being marketed. This means that it is about as safe as it gets for your baby and yourself, with the foam cushion offering greater comfort and the stainless-steel plate unmatched durability. While the price of this award-winning product may be prohibitive, it is certainly worth every penny.
Most Practical Pregnancy Seat Belt
No products found.
The greatest advantage of this model is that you can easily set it up and uninstall it from any vehicle. This makes it particularly practical if you have several cars and don’t want to buy two separate seat belt adapters. In addition, this bumper belt is compatible with all cars and comes with a lifetime warranty. Please note that you can start using this model after 3 months of pregnancy only.
Best Budget-Friendly Pregnancy Seat Belt
No products found.
Now, we know some people like to keep things as simple and affordable as possible, and this is why this seat belt adjuster is so popular on the American market. Despite its incredibly low price, it provides the comfort and safety you need to ride with complete peace of mind. It couldn’t be any easier to use, either! What’s more, your children can still use it as they grow up to protect their necks when wearing the seat belt.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Pregnancy Seat Belts
Now that you are more familiar with the best models on the American market, let’s have a look at the most frequently asked questions about them. In the next section, we will clarify any remaining doubts you have and help you identify the features that make a pregnancy seat belt a reliable and necessary accessory.
What is a pregnancy seat belt exactly?
Why is it recommended to use a pregnancy seat belt?
What are the benefits of a pregnancy seat belt?
Seat belts are designed to prevent you from being thrown out of the car and to reduce the hit upon impact for passengers inside the car. Currently, it is estimated that these devices save the lives of 9,500 people a year. According to statistics, more than 5,000 deaths and 130,000 injuries could be prevented yearly if 90% of passengers wore their seat belts.
What types of pregnancy seat belts are there on the market?
|Criteria||Safety vest||Adapting cushion||Adjustable crotch strap|
|Use||The diagonal strap remains in the correct position at all times, away from the neck and between the breasts.||This cushion is attached to the seat.||You adjust it to the thighs for greater comfort and safety.|
|Advantages||Both the upper and lower straps of the seat belt are guided.||The lower strap is pinned into place as close to the pelvis as possible while protecting the stomach area.||It is very easy to install on the seat and practical to use.|
What are the primary recommendations for using a pregnancy seat belt?
- Secure the lap belt under your belly: It should be tight-fitting on your hip bones. Never wear the strap over your stomach. During a crash, the sudden shock of a belt in this position can cause the placenta to detach from the uterus or cause other injuries.
- Take off your warm clothes: If you wear a winter coat or a heavy sweater that can make the seat belt slide up on your belly, remove it before driving.
- Use the shoulder belt: It should fit snugly between your breasts and the side of your abdomen. If the shoulder belt crosses over your neck, put the seat or belt into an adequate position. Never place the shoulder belt under your arm or behind your back.
- Be careful with the airbags: They offer additional protection but should never replace your seat belt. In fact, airbags can be dangerous if they open while you are not properly fastened.
- Adjust the front seat: If you are driving, adjust the front seat to be as far away from the steering wheel as possible (around 10 inches) while still being able to reach the pedals comfortably. If your steering wheel is adjustable, point it up and away from your belly.
When should I wear a pregnancy seat belt?
During the last three months of pregnancy, on the other hand, you have to be extremely careful in the car since your belly is already fairly big. Besides the fact that any sudden movement is very uncomfortable, it can cause premature delivery or trauma to the baby. This is why you should always drive very cautiously.
Please keep in mind that some seat belts are only suitable for use from the second or third month of pregnancy onward. Check with the manufacturer first, although most women won’t know they are having a baby before two months into the pregnancy. Don’t hesitate to ask if it makes you feel more comfortable.
How should I use my pregnancy seat belt?
If you opt for the cushion, you will have to connect the lower strap to the adapter around the seat. Specific models on the market fasten this strap in the pelvic area, while others do so at hip height. In products that do not integrate a cushion, the seat belt is adjusted in the thigh area with two straps that come from either side and another placed under the seat.
What are the risks of not wearing a pregnancy seat belt?
|Premature labor||Labor starts before 37 weeks of pregnancy.|
|Premature rupture of membranes||The sac around the baby breaks before the mother goes into labor.|
|Placental abruption||In this severe condition, the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus (womb) before birth.|
|Miscarriage||The baby dies in the uterus before 20 weeks of pregnancy.|
|Stillbirth||The baby dies in the uterus after 20 weeks of pregnancy.|
Before you can pick the pregnancy seat belt that is most tailored to your needs, you have to factor in a series of vital criteria. In the following section, we will delve into the four most important aspects to keep in mind when buying your own model. That way, you really have all the information you need to make a successful purchase.
You need to be as comfortable as possible while in the car, especially during the last trimester of your pregnancy. In that case, you will want to opt for a seat belt that is easy to put on and take off. And that’s not all! Make sure that the product you buy has easy-to-fasten buckles. That way, you are not making it more difficult for yourself than it needs to be.
While the vast majority of pregnancy seat belts can work with all types of clothing, you will still find a few that don’t. It is essential that you pay attention to this seemingly small detail; it can quickly turn into a real problem if you want to wear a summery skirt and your seat belt simply doesn’t allow you to. The description of the product should tell you whether or not it is compatible with pants and dresses, as well as the types of cars it fits in.
In addition to analyzing the quality and resistance of the materials with which pregnancy seat belts are manufactured, you should think about the option of choosing a model with an easy-to-wash, non-slip fabric. If you spend hours in your car over several months, we guarantee that you will be happy to have a comfortable and washable seat belt.
There is nothing wrong with being pregnant in style, and that means that you can also choose the color of your new seat belt according to your personal tastes. The most popular models tend to come in dark colors so they can blend in perfectly with your car’s upholstery. Besides, note that many pregnancy seat belts are compact enough to fit in your bag so you can carry them anywhere with you.
Seat belts in general, and those for pregnant women in particular, have always been the most effective way to protect the lives of a mother and her baby. This is why it is essential that you use this accessory correctly at all times. All you need are a few minutes to learn how to use them, and you’ll be good to ride your car in complete safety and comfort.
Before you make any purchase, take the time to inform yourself about the different products available and pick one that meets the various requirements we have discussed throughout our article. Try to compare several models and check the reviews and ratings from mothers who have bought them before. This is one of the best ways to know that you are choosing a quality product.
We hope that you found our guide on pregnancy seat belts helpful and informative. If so, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share this article with other moms-to-be!
(Source of featured image: Wang Tom: 12659143/ 123rf.com)