How we pick our products
When decorating your home there are many factors that you should consider. You must carefully choose the furniture, the color of the walls and the decorative items. As for the decorative items, one of the most important features and one that gives the most “life” to your home is, without a doubt, live houseplants. To make them look their best you can put your plants in decorative planters.
There are many types of planters available, so you can surely find one that fits your tastes, needs and home decor. In addition, planters are manufactured out of all kinds of different materials and come with a wide range of price tags. We have prepared this buying guide so that you can find the best planter for your home. Be sure to take note of the features that are available so you can decide which planters are best for you.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Planters on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Planters
- 3.1 What exactly is a planter?
- 3.2 Is a planter the same as a plant pot?
- 3.3 What is a planter with irrigation?
- 3.4 How should a planter function?
- 3.5 What features should a planter have?
- 3.6 Should I use hanging planters?
- 3.7 What are the various materials that planters are made of?
- 3.8 What kinds of planters can be used outdoors and indoors?
- 3.9 What are the advantages and disadvantages of using planters?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Planters are containers inside which one or more plants are placed for display. The number of plants you can put inside a planter depends on the size of the plants and the planter.
- Planters can be used both outdoors and inside your home. If you plan to set up your planter outside, be sure it is designed for that purpose. For example, it will need to be weather resistant. That is, it should able to to withstand precipitation, heat, the sun’s rays and also freezing temperatures.
- Don’t forget when you are shopping for your planter, to make sure that it’s the right size and material to use with the plants and any inner plant pots you have in mind. Otherwise you might regret your purchase.
Our Selection: The Best Planters on the U.S. Market
The best way to understand what to expect when you are shopping for a planter is to review some of its features. One way to be sure you are making a sound purchase is by looking at the models with the highest ratings from buyers of these products. That is what we will do for you in the following paragraphs. Don’t forget to take note of some important features these products have.
Best Self-Watering Planter
This Amazon’s Choice Planter has a 4.5 out of 5 star rating and comes in three sizes, is available in six different colors and the price ranges from only $9.99 to $23.99. Hollow legs reach down into the reservoir to allow the soil itself to draw moisture naturally while lifting your plant above the water. These planters are great for both indoor and outdoor use.
Best Outdoor Planter
This classic whiskey barrel planter in a distressed oak finish with antique pewter colored bands is another Amazon’s Choice product and is a great value. It comes in several shapes and sizes, all with excellent prices from $9.99 to $27.99. This planter is UV-coated to protect color from fading over time and is made of lightweight and durable high density resin.
Best Patio Planter
The Keter elevated garden has enough room to grow a variety of vegetables, herbs, flowers or even houseplants. Perfect for small outdoor or indoor spaces, this attractive raised bed garden is an ideal solution for bringing color to your deck, patio, and balcony.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Planters
What exactly is a planter?
Is a planter the same as a plant pot?
What is a planter with irrigation?
|Steps||What to Do|
|1||Fill the planter with substrate, leaving room for the root ball. In this case you will not put the plant in a pot.|
|2||Fill the water tank without reaching the maximum allowed by your planter, so that it does not overflow.|
|3||Water will travel up the soil level to water the plant automatically. Each plant will absorb only the water it needs.|
|4||When you notice that the water in the tank is running out, you must refill it. Check its status every time you are gone for a few days.|
How should a planter function?
View this post on Instagram
gardening is ultimately a folly whose goal is to provide delight—deborah needleman . . 🍃🍃🍃🍃💗🍃🍃💗🍃🍃🍃🍃 . . good morning and hapPy day my friends! when i planted this simple arrangement in june, i thought the forever and ever ‘red sensation’ hydrangea would be the well…sensation of this mixed planting. english ivy has been playin’ it low key but ‘lava rose’ coleus had big plans…what a diva! . . 🍃💗🍃 . .. … #redhousegardens #redhydrangea #hydrangealove #hydrangea #colorfulflowers #coleus #outdoorplanters #planters #mygarden #inthegarden #instagardeners #flowersmakemehappy #gardenerslife #prettypetals #cottagegarden #cottagegardenflowers
What features should a planter have?
You must take into account three aspects of the plant that will be going into the planter. The first is its height, the second its business or leafiness and the third is the size of its roots and how fast they grow. You will also need make sure that the planter will support the weight of the plant. In addition to it not being good for development of the plant, if the planter is too large or too small, from an aesthetic point of view, it won’t look nice, either.
Should I use hanging planters?
For example, you should make sure the structure from which you hang the planter can be safely drilled to place the anchors and hold the weight of the planter and plant. It is possible some materials twill be difficult to drill, and you also need to be aware of possible damage to your roof, gutter, porch, etc.
The weight of the plant must be appropriate for the planter. Of course, you will have to hang the planters while taking all precautions to avoid accidents later.
What are the various materials that planters are made of?
- Wood. The main advantage of this material is undoubtedly its aesthetics. The planter can be left in the original color of the chosen wood or it can be stained or painted. If you are going to use it outside your home you should have it treated against insects and fungi.
- Clay. This is a very typical material when making pots and is also great for planters. It is very suitable for areas where it is hot. It needs more watering than other types of materials, since it is quite porous. They are also quite heavy and breakable. If they fall or are hit hard with anything, they will break.
- Plastic. These are very light and you will find them in endless different colors and shapes. In some cases they manage to perfectly mimic other materials such as clay or wood. They usually have been given a treatment to protect the planters from the sun’s rays.
- Metal. This is a very original material with an attractive aesthetic, but it is more delicate than others since it can rust.
- Fiberglass. These are light and can last a very long time. In addition, they are very resistant to extreme weather conditions, such as cold or heat. They also withstand the sun’s rays quite well.
- Glass. These are less popular, but you can find some beautiful glass planters. They are very decorative, but also very delicate.
What kinds of planters can be used outdoors and indoors?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using planters?
As we said in the previous section, there are still a number of factors that you should assess. It is important that you do so if you want to be sure to make the best possible purchase. Also, do not forget that some planters have a somewhat high price, so it is a good idea to be sure that you are not investing in the wrong type of planter.
It is important that when you buy your planter you know that it is a practical product, as well as beautiful. You should be sure that it does not have a complicated assembly and that its maintenance will not be too burdensome. It is a decorative object, so the planter should not be a burden to own.
A planter is basically a decorative object. It is true that it fulfills a function–to cover less aesthetic pots, but it is not a essential household item. Therefore, when buying a planter, look for it to have an attractive aesthetic. If it is for inside the house, it should match or complement the rest of your decor. The same applies if you are going to place it outside your home.
As you have seen, some planters can be priced quite high. You should make sure that you only pay more if it is a quality product. Of course, the better the materials are, and the more intricate the design is, the more it will cost. It is a good idea to confirm the quality of the model you have chosen to make sure you do not spend more money than you should. Yo can do this by looking at the reviews of other buyers.
The material with which your planter is made will determine the uses you can make of it. If it is strong and durable you can put heavier plants in it. If it is lighter and more fragile you will need to use it only with a low-weight plant. In addition, if there are children in the house, to avoid accidents, be sure that the materials are not fragile or that the planter is properly anchored and situated.
The dimensions of the planter are a key aspect to think about when making your final purchase decision. You should keep in mind that the planter needs to be big enough for the plants that you plan to place inside of it. But don’t forget that it should also be appropriate for the space where it will be placed. If it is too large it may not fit, but if it is too small it may look awkward.
A planter is an essential piece of decor if you have the space for them, and you like to have flowers or plants around you. Planters can be located both inside and outside your home, provided the material is appropriate. You will find many different designs on the market today. Always try to find a high quality product, the investment will pay off in the long run by providing years of enjoyment.
Have you found the information in this buying guide interesting? If so, do not forget to share it on social media. Or, write us a comment with your opinion.
(Featured Image Source: Sophie McAulay: 26603702/ 123rf.com)