Like people’s faces, facial cleansers come in a wide variety of forms. There is no one perfect cleanser for every man because whether it is suitable for each individual depends on the ingredients and how they will react with each specific skin type. You also need to to take into account any particular skin problems or conditions you may have before using a particular cleanser.
In general, you should be sure to understand your own skin’s condition and which products work best for you. If you suffer from acne, sensitive skin, dry skin, or other skin conditions you need a different type of cleanser from what you would need if you had oily skin and acne. This guide will help you to navigate the differences between different types of cleansers and which kinds are right for you.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Facial Cleansers on the U.S. Market
- 2.1 Expert Hydra Energetic Facial Cleanser by L’Oreal Paris – Men Expert 5 oz.
- 2.2 Dove Men+Care Face Wash, Hydrate+ 5 fl. oz.
- 2.3 Lather and Wood – Mens Activated Charcoal Daily Face Wash – 8 oz.
- 2.4 Brickell Men’s Clarifying Gel Face Wash for Men, Organic 2 fl. oz.
- 2.5 RUGGED & DAPPER Daily Scrub and Cleanser for Men, 8 fl. oz.
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know about Facial Cleansers for Men
- 3.1 What are facial cleansers and what are their advantages?
- 3.2 What types of facial cleansers are available?
- 3.3 What type of facial cleanser should I use if I have acne?
- 3.4 What facial cleanser should I use if I have sensitive skin?
- 3.5 What is the best facial cleansers for normal, combination and oily skin?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- First of all, you should familiarize yourself with the various types of facial cleansers that are available on the market. Most can be divided in between four main categories: soaps, synthetic cleansers, combination cleansers with antibacterial properties and oil-free cleansers.
- Your skin type is a determining factor in choosing the right facial cleanser for you. If you are prone to acne, rosacea or dry skin, you need to choose different products than you might need of you have aging or sensitive skin. It is important that you always test new products as instructed in a small area to be sure that you do not have an adverse reaction, before using on a bigger surface area of your face.
- Today’s market is full of great products, which can make decision-making quite overwhelming. This guide will cover the best facial cleansers suitable for different skin types as well as different needs and preferences you may have.
Our Selection: The Best Facial Cleansers on the U.S. Market
It can be very challenging to find the right skin cleanser that fis your skin type, your personal preference and your budget. There are light, strong and combination facial cleansers. Using the wrong product can mean you won’t get the great results you’re looking for. Below we will share a list of the best products around suitable for different skin types.
- Expert Hydra Energetic Facial Cleanser by L’Oreal Paris – Men Expert 5 oz.
- Dove Men+Care Face Wash, Hydrate+ 5 fl. oz.
- Lather and Wood – Mens Activated Charcoal Daily Face Wash – 8 oz.
- Brickell Men’s Clarifying Gel Face Wash for Men, Organic 2 fl. oz.
- RUGGED & DAPPER Daily Scrub and Cleanser for Men, 8 fl. oz.
Expert Hydra Energetic Facial Cleanser by L’Oreal Paris – Men Expert 5 oz.
Men Expert Hydra Energetic Extreme Cleanser fights the 5 problems caused by daily city grime: Oily Skin, dirt, stickiness, dullness, and clogged pores. This face wash, specifically formulated for men, eliminates impurities and excess oils, with the power of charcoal, for a fresh, healthy look.
Formulated with the power of Charcoal, this black texture turns into a surprisingly rich, white foam that acts like a magnet to draw out dirt and impurities. At under $6 per tube, this is a great product from a trusted brand to have in your grooming arsenal.
Dove Men+Care Face Wash, Hydrate+ 5 fl. oz.
No products found.
Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Face Wash is our best face wash for men prone to dry skin. Regular soap and ordinary face washes leave you with a clean face but also dryness. To prevent dry skin on your face, choose this hydrating formula that combines a mild cleanser with the same lipids naturally present in your skin to help minimize dryness.
At under $6 per container, why not reat yourself to your own skin care products designed specifically for men? This creamy formula provides advanced protection for dry skin on your face, effectively cleanses men’s skin, the unique formula helps replenish moisture making it an ideal face wash for dry skin. Your skin feels smooth and cared for with mild cleansing from Dove Men+Care. Additionally, it rinses off easily for a clean face feel.
Lather and Wood – Mens Activated Charcoal Daily Face Wash – 8 oz.
If you want a small usury in your skin care routine, you might try Lather & Wood’s cleanser to help you look and feel like a million bucks. For about $19 for 8 ounces, this formula is still a good value as the product states “a little goes a long way.” Designed with premium activated charcoal to pull out daily build up of dirt and pollution from your skin. Avoid that harsh dried out face with a non- drying formula, Hydrating organic aloe does the heavy lifting to preserve your skins moisture for the ultimate comfort. For use with dry, normal, and oily skin.
For a face that never looked so healthy, just quarter size in the palm is more than enough. A pleasant cool tingling sensation lets you know its working. Mild, gentle and soothing feel, use daily in the shower or at the sink, at night or in the morning depending on your personal routine. A potent all natural ingredient stack formulated to spare no expense, to please even the most health conscious and discerning man.
Brickell Men’s Clarifying Gel Face Wash for Men, Organic 2 fl. oz.
looking for a brighter, clearer complexion? You’ve found the best face wash for men with oily skin. A higher-end product at about $19 for two ounces, this little luxury is just what the discerning gentleman needs to This natural men’s face wash keeps your skin oil and shine free all day without over drying. Our rich, foaming gel face wash for men washes away oil with powerful coconut-based cleansers. Aloe renews the skin. Geranium – a powerful antiseptic – clean away facial impurities.
Founded in 2014, co-founders Josh Meyer & Matt Bolduc were looking for premium men’s skincare & grooming products, but couldn’t find a brand that met their needs. They wanted products that were not only the best on the market, but also ones that used natural ingredients. They also were looking for a brand they could relate to as men, something for the every day man. After months of searching, they decided to take the matter into their own hands and create Brickell.
RUGGED & DAPPER Daily Scrub and Cleanser for Men, 8 fl. oz.
This Daily Power Scrub is a nourishing facial cleanser, energizing toner and foaming exfoliator all-in-one. This formula is powerful enough to attack dirt, excess oil and grime deep beneath the surface, yet gentle enough to use everyday, without stripping your skin of moisture.
Its potent vitamins and minerals are released from premium ingredients to help revive damaged skin, clear and reduce the appearance of pores and help prevent the advancement of aging. At over $20, it has a bigger price tag than some of the others on our list, however, the generously sized 8 fl. oz. container will last you a long time.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know about Facial Cleansers for Men
Choosing a facial cleanser, or deciding to change from ordinary soap or the cleanser you have been using for a long time can be overwhelming. Nobody wants to make a mistake that will have a negative impact on our skin. In this article, we will try to answer the most frequently asked questions about buying a facial cleanser specifically formulated for men.
What are facial cleansers and what are their advantages?
There are many types of facial cleansers on the market and each one can react differently to different skin types. Choosing an appropriate cleanser is very important. In general, all cleansers have the same function. They are used to remove dirt, sebum, microorganisms and dead skin cells from your complexion. Facial cleansers do this by emulsifying or dispersing these elements into the cleaner, which is then removed by rinsing with water.
Very strong cleansers can dry out some skin types by removing lipids, proteins and natural moisturizers but these strong cleansers can be the most suitable cleansers for other people. It is essential that you understand the components of the cleanser you want to use in order to to prevent damage to your skin or irritation of any existing skin issues.
Following are some of the factors that you should take into account when choosing a facial cleanser:
What types of facial cleansers are available?
- Soaps are fair cleansers, they remove sebum and dirt without problems. Soaps are made from animal or vegetable fats, but they are are alkaline and can be too strong for some people. Soap can also remove proteins and natural oils that function maintain the skin’s natural moisture. Use of soaps can cause damage to the outermost layer of the skin.
- Synthetic detergents contain little to no soap. The pH levels in these products are close to those of human skin itself. This category of cleansers removes dirt and harmful agents from the skin but does not affect it as much as soap and does not dry out the outer layer of the skin as much as ordinary soap does.
- Combination cleaners contain both synthetic ingredients and soap with the addition of antibacterial agents. These formulas help to eliminate harmful bacteria but also affect the natural flora of the epidermis. These products can irritate the skin of some individuals.
- Lipid-free cleaners are quite mild. They do not contain soap but cleanse the skin gently and leave a thin layer of moisturizer on the skin.
|Type||Composition||Effects on the skin|
|Soaps||Soaps are made from animal or vegetable fats, and are alkaline substances which are designed to be strong cleaning agents.||They effectively remove dirt, sebum and dead cells, but also remove proteins and natural moisturizers.|
|Synthetic cleansers||pH similar to that of the skin, of synthetic origin.||Clean the skin without affecting too much the outermost layer of the skin.|
|Combination antimicrobial bars||Combination of soap and synthetic detergent, contain antibacterial agents.||They remove harmful bacteria from the skin, they can also remove the natural microorganisms of the skin and irritate it.|
|Oil-free cleansers||Gentle, clean without soap.||They leave a thin layer of moisturizer on the skin.|
What type of facial cleanser should I use if I have acne?
This can damage the health of the skin and worsen the appearance and recurrence of acne and associated lesions. You should avoid products that dry out the skin, as this can clog your pores, if you are acne-prone.
In addition, it is recommended that you choose cleansers that also do not alter the pH of the skin. There is evidence that cleansers containing no sodium lauryl sulfate, such as lipid-free cleaners will maintain the skin’s natural pH levels. You can also try liquid soaps or bars that contain antibacterial properties. This can help improve your symptoms.
What facial cleanser should I use if I have sensitive skin?
There are studies that show that sensitive skin is related to the alteration of the external lipid barrier of the skin. Cleansers that remove this lipid barrier can exacerbate the symptoms of sensitive skin. Look for gentle, moisturizing cleansers that soothe your skin.
What is the best facial cleansers for normal, combination and oily skin?
Normal skin sometimes has a combination of oily dry areas. Usually, the oiliest areas are in the “T-Zone:” the area covering the chin, nose and forehead. For this reason, you should find a cleanser that is suitable for both dry and oily skin. This can feel a bit complicated. Look for natural ingredients and do several tests that allow you to choose the one that best suits your skin. Test which one suits you best, and be sure to tst it along with the other products you use in your daily routine.
If your skin is oily, you should look for cleansers that contain chemical exfoliants like salicylic acid or a slightly stronger ingredient. However, we recommend that you do not overdo it so that you avoid causing an imbalance in the good bacteria of your skin. Look for a balance that allows you to take care good of your skin easily.
As we have mentioned, your skin type should be the most important factor you consider when deciding which product to purchase to use as a facial cleanser. Here is a comprehensive list of what you should look for according to your skin type, as well as other factors that may come into play.
You should always identify your skin type before choosing a skin care product. This will dictate which components are beneficial to you and the most common skin problems to look out for. If you do not know what your skin type is, you can talk to a dermatologist, and ask about skin care product recommendations.
- Sensitive or dry skin. If your skin is easily irritated, you should use a mild facial cleanser and hydrate your skin. Products that remove all the natural moisturizers in your skin can worsen your condition. If you have rosacea or eczema, your symptoms will improve with lipid-free cleansers.
- Normal skin. Normal skin types can use a wider variety of products for facial cleansing, from combination to lipid-free products, which are softer. But you should choose the mildest product that works for you, even if you have nromal skin.
- Combination skin. Combination skin types need products that do not further dry out already dry areas as well as controlling the production of sebum in oily areas. The best thing you can do is look for softer products that will not be abrasive to your skin.
- Oily skin. If you have oily skin, you can use a stronger cleanser without compromising the health of the outer layers. However, if you suffer from acne, it is better to use milder products that will not irritate your skin.
Before buying a cleanser, read its label to determine what the active ingredients are, as you may have had an adverse reaction to some of these.
There are facial cleansers, for example, that include fragrances, fruit products, parabens or alcohols that can react with sensitive skins or trigger more dryness in your skin. As a rule, it is best that you use products that contain fewer harmful ingredients and so you can maintain control over what comes into contact with your skin.
You should also consider using an exfoliant a few times a week. These remove dead cells from your skin. An important factor when choosing an exfoliating cleanser is the type of abrasive ingredients that they use. Many brands use microplastics or fragments of plastic smaller than 5 mm. Studies show that these are highly polluting to the oceans and are not broken down by treatment plants. Other products use natural exfoliators such as ground seeds, etc. Be sure these products are not too harsh for your skin.
Controlling acne breakouts can be difficult if you do not have a proper cleanser. You may be under the impression that using exfoliants and soaps will help you control your acne but these can actually make your acne worse. These products can dry out the epidermis of your skin and cause skin flakes that in turn clog your pores.
If you are in the middle of an outbreak, you should try a cleanser with antibacterial properties to control the current symptoms. Follow this with a mild moisturizer that will keep your skin hydrated and that do not raise its pH, such as those containing sodium lauryl ether sulfate.
View this post on Instagram
Why wash your face? • Without a good scrub, dead skin and oil glands will repel your face lotion and prevent it from fully absorbing. Remember to wash your face before applying other products. • For the next 48 hrs you can save 30% on all of our products on Amazon.com/ruggeddapper
Rosacea or Eczema
Rosacea causes redness as it affects the blood vessels of the skin. In more severe cases, this can cause thickening of the skin, particularly in the area of the nose. Eczema is also a disorder that can cause redness on the skin, but for different reasons. It can also cause itching and peeling.
If you suffer from one of these conditions you must take special precautions when choosing treatments for your skin. In general, you should us only the mildest facial cleansers and, preferably, those that do not contain any soap. This will keep the outer layer of your skin stable, which will help control your symptoms.
Before choosing a facial cleanser, it is important that you identify your own skin type and also take into account which skin conditions you are looking to improve (acne, rosacea, eczema). These will be the key factors guiding your choice of cleanser. You can either consult a dermatologist or test various products at home.
Once you understand more about your skin, you can choose between different types of facial cleansers. These can help eliminate dirt, dead skin cells and sebum from your skin. If they are too strong, however,cleansers can damage the outermost layer of your skin, especially if it is sensitive. That is why you must choose your cleanser carefully.
If this guide has been useful to you, we invite you to share it in your social networks with others who may be in search of the perfect facial cleanser. We also invite you to write comments to this article and tell us how your skin reacted to different facial cleansers.