How we pick our products
Let’s start with a small math problem. Let’s say that you spend 8 hours in your bead per day. If there are 365 days in a year, how many hours do you spend in your bed each year? Exactly, that’s a total of 2,920 hours, or, in other words, 121 days. That is an incredible amount of time.
The World Health Organization says that 30% of the world’s population suffers from insomnia at some point in their lives. The quality of the mattress that you choose to be with you these 121 days of the year is an important choice that you do not want to take lightly. In this article, we are going to go over how to choose the best one for you.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Mattresses on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Mattresses
- 3.1 When do I need to buy a new mattress?
- 3.2 What types of mattresses are there?
- 3.3 What are the parts of a mattress?
- 3.4 What mattress should I purchase based on how I sleep?
- 3.5 What mattress should I choose based on my size and weight?
- 3.6 Can a good mattress soothe an aching back?
- 3.7 How can I clean my mattress?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- We recommend that you change your mattress around every 8 to 10 years. This is because the materials of your mattress begin to deteriorate as the years go by.
- Remember that there is not a single, perfect mattress for everyone. Everybody is different and every mattress is different as well. We are here to help you find the best one for you and your home.
- When picking out a mattress, it is important to keep in mind a certain list of shopping criteria. We will go over these factors at the end of the article.
Our Selection: The Best Mattresses on the U.S. Market
We completely understand that buying a mattress can be complicated. It is not only an investment but it is also important for your health as you will be using it for many hours every day. It is normal if you feel a bit under pressure; we are here to help! In the following section, we have created a list of our favorite mattresses currently available on the U.S. market.
Best Hybrid Mattress
The first item on our list is a great choice if you are looking for a hybrid model that combines a spring mattress with a memory foam mattress. It’s the best of both worlds. The springs will help keep your body firm and in one place, while the memory foam will take the form of your body and keep you comfortable. You can’t go wrong with this model. Check for yourself. It has tons of positive reviews.
Best Overall Mattress
In our opinion, the second item on our list is one of the best mattresses on the U.S. market. You are sure to be satisfied by this award-winning mattress which is made in America and comes with a 10-year warranty. Another cool thing about this queen mattress is that you get a 100 nights trial. If you like it, keep it. If you don’t, you can return it for no cost. What more could you ask for?
Best Memory Foam Mattress
If you are looking for a softer, fluffier mattress that adjusts to your body, the third item on our list is the choice for you. This memory foam mattress will give you an amazing night’s sleep as it takes the form of your body. This is great for people who sleep on their side, as it will not hurt your hips or shoulders. You will feel completely rested every morning.
Best Spring Mattress
Spring mattresses have the bad reputation of being uncomfortable. However, this is not the case with this model. It is very popular on Amazon. Spring mattresses are a firmer option and are great for people who sleep on their backs. You can choose the size of your mattress: twin, full, king, or queen. This model also comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Mattresses
When do I need to buy a new mattress?
The life span of a mattress depends on factors like the quality of the mattress itself, how you take care of it, and how you use it. Not all types of mattresses have the same life span: generally, mattresses made out of latex last longer than those made out of springs, for example. We recommend that you change your mattress every eight to ten years.
What types of mattresses are there?
|Spring mattresses|| Firm. Do not adjust to the shape of your body like other types
Bounce back to their original shape quickly
Made out of continuous thread (perfect for individual beds) or pocket strings (perfect for queen beds)
Cool, great for hot weather
|Viscoelastic Mattresses|| React to your body heat and you can adjust the firmness
Absorb your movement making them great for couples
A great option for people that suffer from back pain
Perfect for cold weather, not very breathable
|Latex Mattresses|| Natural or synthetic
Adapt to your body and return to their original shape
Firm throughout the mattress
Absorb your movement
Will not acquire mites
Not very breathable
|Foam Mattresses|| The old version of viscoelastic mattresses
Adapt to your body
Not very breathable
Can acquire mites
The foam can deteriorate over time and lose its shape
Usually pretty affordable, although some are expensive
|Natural Fiber Mattresses|| Made out of cotton, wool, horsehair, and other natural materials
No harmful substances
Cannot get wet
Will last you a long time
|Japonese Futon|| Very firm
Not much cushioning
Made out of pressed cotton, which is biodegradable
Can acquire pollen or mites
What are the parts of a mattress?
- Core: The core is found in the center of the mattress and is quite firm because it is the part that holds the mattress together. If you purchase a spring mattress, the core is the part that has all of the springs.
- Comfort layers: This is the part of the mattress that makes it comfortable and suitable to be slept on. The comfort layers should adapt to the shape of your body. They can be made out of textile material, synthetic foam, or gel. A good-quality mattress should have at least two comfort layers, one on each side. This way, you can flip your mattress over and use whichever side you want. It is a good idea to change the side you use every once in a while.
- Outer or inner fabrics: This part of the mattress comes in contact with your body. It should be breathable, soft, hypoallergenic, and easy to clean. Normally, the outer or inner fabrics are made out of textile materials.
What mattress should I purchase based on how I sleep?
- Do you sleep on your side? If you do, your mattress should not be too firm and should be able to adapt to the shape of your body. This way, you will not wake up with aching hips or shoulders.
- Do you sleep on your stomach? If you do, you need a firm mattress. Please note that we do not suggest sleeping on your stomach because it can lead to health problems.
- Do you sleep on your back? If you do, you also need a firm mattress that helps keep your back in a straight position. This will help you avoid back pains.
What mattress should I choose based on my size and weight?
If you are a very tall person, we understand that you do not want to sleep with your feet hanging off the end of the bed. Currently, there are mattresses of various sizes. Your mattress should be at least 4 inches longer than you.
Can a good mattress soothe an aching back?
Recent scientific studies in this field have shown that using a semi-firm mattress had a larger effect than various medical treatments and even allowed some people to stop taking medicine to help their back pain. If you are worried about back pain or already suffer from back pain, you need a good-quality mattress.
How can I clean my mattress?
If you have gotten to this part in the article, you are probably still thinking about purchasing a brand new mattress. This is excellent news. However, there are still a few factors that you need to consider before making your purchase. These shopping criteria will help you choose the best mattress possible:
If you are looking for a mattress for your guest room that you will not use frequently, you might want to consider purchasing an air mattress. However, if you are going to use the mattress every day, it is better to look for higher-quality options. Please note that not all materials are ideal for all types of weather. A spring mattress will keep you cool while viscoelastic mattresses are warmer.
Although many people think that spring mattresses are uncomfortable, currently, there are a variety of great choices on the market. Mattresses made out of natural materials are great for those that suffer from allergies or if you prefer natural products over synthetic products. Look over the various options and choose the best material for you.
The size of the mattress that you purchase is an important criterion to keep in mind, especially if you are sharing it with somebody else. In the past, queen beds were often around 4.5 feet wide. However, you can now find much larger mattresses. Queen beds are usually around 5 feet wide while king beds can reach up to 6.5 feet wide.
We think that it is even more important how long the mattress is. If you are quite tall, we know that you don’t want your feet to be hanging off the end of the bed. This would be quite uncomfortable. Currently, you can find mattresses on the market that are between 6 to 7 feet long. Remember; we recommend that you choose a mattress that is at least 4 inches longer than you.
Amount of People
Although there are several studies that show that sleeping with a partner can cause insomnia, which can be related to depression, heart or lung problems, and stress from work or relationships, most people share their mattress with a significant other.
If you are the only one sleeping on your mattress, you can get whatever model you prefer. However, if you are sharing your room with a partner, you will need to keep their preferences and needs in mind as well. For example, think about how tall they are, how they sleep, their weight, etc.
Buying a mattress is a personal matter that we all have to go through at some point in our lives. We suggest replacing your mattress every eight to ten years. We have provided you with a lot of information and we are confident that you are ready to buy the mattress of your dreams. So, what are you waiting for? Now, the choice is yours.
We hope that you have enjoyed our article about mattresses. If you liked this shopping guide and review, don’t forget to share it with your friends on social media. Have you tried using this item? Tell us about your experience; we want to hear from you. Thank you so much.
(Source of featured image: Guzhva: 89749052/ 123rf.com)