How we pick our products
How often do you do the dishes nowadays? We are sure you still remember with nostalgia your childhood days when you helped your parents with this chore. You dried the dishes as you told them how your day at school had gone. These memories may be behind you, but having a good kitchen sink remains essential.
While dishwashers are increasingly present in American homes, many of us still do the dishes by hand. In fact, a recent study has shown that 20% of American households with a dishwasher didn’t use it frequently. Besides, we also use our sink to wash fruit, vegetables, and other foods. In the following article, we will tell you everything to help you find the perfect one for your kitchen.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Kitchen Sinks on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Kitchen Sinks
- 3.1 What shapes do kitchen sinks have?
- 3.2 Is a sink with one or two bowls better?
- 3.3 What materials are sinks made of?
- 3.4 Where should I place the sink in my new kitchen?
- 3.5 Which sink do I need to replace an old model?
- 3.6 What are the installation types for kitchen sinks?
- 3.7 How should I clean my sink?
- 3.8 What are the advantages of kitchen sinks?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- The most important is to pick a sink that blends in your kitchen style while meeting your needs. This is why you shouldn’t buy the first model that attracts you.
- Buying a sink as you are designing your kitchen isn’t the same as choosing one to replace an existing sink. We will discuss both options throughout our guide.
- Do you want how many bowls you need? Or what size your sink should be? If you are asking yourself these questions, we will delve into the main shopping criteria in the final section of our article.
Our Selection: The Best Kitchen Sinks on the U.S. Market
Every kitchen needs a sink, and there is the perfect model for every home. If you haven’t found it, you may not have looked in the right place. In the section below, we have selected some of the most popular kitchen sinks currently available out there. You will notice that these plumbing fixtures come in a variety of materials, shapes, and sizes. Who knows, you might even find the model for your home!
- Best Kitchen Sink With Double Bowl
- Most Elegant Kitchen Sink
- Best Sink for Small Kitchens
- Best Overall Kitchen Sink
Best Kitchen Sink With Double Bowl
Kraus’s 33.5-inch sink will be a stylish addition to any kitchen. Having received hundreds of high ratings from past users, it is manufactured with granite composite and features a basin split into two even-sized bowls. This heat- and shock-resistant sink is backed by a limited lifetime warranty and delivered with a drain assembly and mounting hardware.
Most Elegant Kitchen Sink
This stainless-steel single-bowl sink by Ruvati stands out for the modernity and elegance of its design. Available in six different sizes, it comes with a cutting board, a colander, and a drying rack. All of these accessories can be placed on a track over the sink, making cleaning and draining much easier. The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on this product.
Best Sink for Small Kitchens
The no-frills, compact design of this kitchen sink makes it compatible with smaller kitchens, and its affordability is undeniably a big plus. Delivered with a bar faucet and drain, it is made from stainless steel that will make it last for years to come. This top-mount kitchen sink is the cheapest model in our selection.
Best Overall Kitchen Sink
Last but not least, this rectangular sink by Kraus boasts a simple-yet-elegant design that fits right into any kitchen. Size-wise, it is available in eight dimensions so you can pick the most suitable for your space. Made from dent-resistant stainless steel, this kitchen sink is delivered with a dish grid and a basket strainer set. Limited lifetime warranty included.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Kitchen Sinks
Kitchen design is as important as any other element of your home decor. In fact, this is maybe the room where you best need to combine functionality and aesthetics in the same space. An attractive sink will undeniably contribute to achieving this challenging goal. Some models could even become the centerpiece of your kitchen. In the following section, we have answered the most frequently asked questions regarding sinks to solve any doubts you have.
What shapes do kitchen sinks have?
|Type of sink||Advantages||Disadvantages|
|Square sinks||They adapt to the smallest of spaces.||Their size is generally reduced.|
|Rectangular sinks||They are the most spacious models.||You need to have a decently sized cooktop.|
|Round sinks||You can easily clean them, and they are suitable for small kitchens.||Their dimensions are quite limited.|
|Corner sinks||They help you optimize your kitchen space.||They are not always very comfortable.|
|Sinks with dish rack||You can drain the dishes you wash by hand.||They’re not compatible with small countertops.|
|Sinks with double bowl||They are very comfortable and give you more application options.||You need to have enough space.|
Is a sink with one or two bowls better?
What materials are sinks made of?
|Stainless steel||This very resistant material is easy to clean.||It is affected by lime and easily scratched.|
|Granite||It withstands heat, shocks, and scratches very well. Cleaning is straightforward.||This material is less affordable.|
|Stone||It looks attractive and withstands heat, bumps, and scratches very well.||It is expensive.|
|Ceramic||This type is ideal for a rustic kitchen.||This very delicate, old-fashioned material stains easily.|
|Resin||It is very soft and comes in a wide range of colors and subtypes, such as composite resin.||While it is quite resistant, it isn’t as resistant as stainless steel.|
|Glass||It is very hygienic and resistant to scratches, making it perfect for medical offices.||Its delicacy isn’t recommended for domestic environments.|
Where should I place the sink in my new kitchen?
- Straight-line kitchen. This layout is prevalent in small kitchens. We recommend that you place the sink between the fridge and the stove.
- Parallel kitchen. The stoves and the sink go on one side, with the storage area on the other. Make sure that the oven and dishwasher doors aren’t in front of the refrigerator.
- L-shaped kitchen. Place one of the elements in the narrowest part and the other two on the broader side. The triangle shouldn’t have very long sides to reduce movement inside the kitchen.
- U-shaped kitchen. If you opt for this layout, experts recommend that you place each of the elements on one of the three walls. Keep a distance that allows you to cook comfortably.
- Kitchen with island. You should leave at least 3 to 4 feet free around the island to move with ease. Place the cooking area on the island and, if you have space, the sink. Otherwise, you can have it on the wall behind you, next to the fridge.
Which sink do I need to replace an old model?
What are the installation types for kitchen sinks?
- Drop-in or top-mount sinks. The edge of the sink is placed on a hole made in the countertop. It is joined using silicone or a similar product. Keep in mind that these joints accumulate dirt, which is why you need to clean them frequently. Drop-in sinks are recommended for wooden or laminated worktops, as they insulate better from humidity.
- Undermount or recessed sinks. Placed under the countertop, they are attached using screws. This type of sink is easier to clean since it doesn’t have any joints. It is widely used in stone or granite worktops. You should avoid this kind of installation with wooden or laminated worktops, as you may have humidity issues.
- Integrated sinks. This is the most aesthetic installation and creates a genuine sense of continuity on the countertop. Its main drawback is that it is manufactured at the same time as the worktop and is only possible with specific materials. Besides, integrated sinks tend to be less affordable than other options.
How should I clean my sink?
What are the advantages of kitchen sinks?
We’re sure that you can’t wait to see your kitchen complete again, but hold on just a few more minutes before you make your purchase. This is all the time we need to discuss the most critical aspects to evaluate when choosing your sink. If you take these criteria into account, we guarantee you will be a step closer to finding the perfect model for your kitchen.
Interior designers recommend avoiding kitchen sinks with right angles, as they make it harder to clean. They are more common in specific models with a modern design. Rounded edges, on the other hand, will make your life much easier. This doesn’t mean that the bowl itself should be round; many square and rectangular sinks feature curved angles.
The size of your kitchen, and in particular that of your countertop, will, in part, determine the dimensions your sink can have. If you can, you should choose a deep model of at least 22 inches in width. The reason behind this is very simple: you will be able to wash large pots and utensils. Don’t forget that cleaning your pressure cooker or wok is a real challenge in a small sink.
Number of Bowls
If space isn’t an issue for you, we strongly advise that you purchase a double-bowl sink. This is more convenient than a model with a single bowl and a dish rack. If you think about it, having a second one is ideal for drying your clean kitchenware immediately. That being said, make sure that at least one of the two bowls is decently sized, as we discussed in the previous criterion.
Sinks sometimes come with several accessories that are very handy when you are working in your kitchen. They make using your sink easier and, therefore, your life simpler overall. We have listed the most common accessories below. In any case, note that they can always be bought separately if they do not come with your sink.
- Draining basket. Used to drain the food you have washed.
- Scouring tray. To keep scrubbers, sponges, and cleaning cloths in order.
- Splashproof mat. Placed at the base of your sink, it prevents water from splashing while protecting the bottom from being scratched. Besides, it can avoid broken kitchenware if you are a clumsy cleaner.
- Built-in soap dispenser. That way, you always have soap at hand.
- Wastebasket. This small tank features a lid through which you can dispose of small waste. Like that, you don’t have to go to the trash can every other minute while you’re cooking.
View this post on Instagram
It's Monday and I'm thankful to have lights, running water and to be making coffee on my kitchen counter versus the console of my truck! We took things to a whole new level yesterday and I finally realized why there are plug ins in vehicles! Hope you guys have a fantastic Monday !! . . . #farmhousesink #kitchensink #industrialfaucet #woodsandwhites #woodkitchen #whitecabinets #granitecountertops #oranges #lightandairy #lightandbright #subwaytilebacksplash #whitekitchens #popsofcolor #springvibes #springair #simple #minimalistdesign #cleanandsimple #fresh #spring #thankfulgratefulblessed🙏 #kitchendecor #kitcheninspo #farmhousestylewelove #farmhousefanatics #mycountryhome #countrystyleloves
You have to think about how you want to use your sink. Your purchase will be quite different if you have a dishwasher or if you wash all the dishes by hand. In the latter case, your kitchen sink will have to be particularly resistant. Stainless steel is an excellent option as it withstands sustained use very well. Besides, you will find many affordable models on the market. If you are willing to invest a little more, graphite is a beautiful material.
Oh, how wonderful it is to have a finished kitchen! With the information you read in our guide, you are now ready to purchase one of its most vital elements. Whether you own a dishwasher or not, the sink is essential in any kitchen. As you know, your decision will be influenced by how you use it, as well as your budget.
Sinks aren’t always made of stainless steel; you can find models in very attractive materials. The shape and size will depend on your needs, but more importantly on the space available in your kitchen. In addition, don’t forget that there are accessories that will make your life easier. Have you made a choice yet?
If that’s the case, we would love for you to let us know in the comments section below. Either way, we hope that you found our shopping guide helpful. Feel free to share it with your friends and family on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Brooks: 37228071/ 123rf.com)