How we pick our products
While some people are instinctively attracted to new technologies, others tend to miss out on the most useful innovations because of their aversion to anything digital. Have you ever heard of key finders? If that’s the case, do you know what features they offer? While these gadgets cannot open all your doors, they come with handy functionalities.
If you have a strong tendency to leave your keys lying around, you won’t have to worry anymore; an alarm will immediately go off when you do. And that’s just the beginning! Just like fitness trackers or GPS watches, these items are wearables. In other words, you can interact with this device that serves several purposes. If you want to learn more, keep reading our guide on key finders!
- Key finders are small technological devices that use Bluetooth or GPS to locate your keys. Not only that, but these compact wearable items also help you find your pet or your glasses. They’re all the rage!
- Don’t get lost when looking for your key finder. These handy gadgets are also called key locators or electronic finders. They have arrived recently on the market, hence why you might get confused at first.
- Make sure you take into account all the essential criteria we detail in the final section of our article before you make your purchase. How you want to use your key finder, its weight, and size, and the technology it integrates are all fundamental.
Our Selection: The Best Key Finders on the U.S. Market
Sometimes referred to as GPS trackers when they include smart search through this functionality, these devices are not only good for locating your keys. Discover their other features below as we have described the very best models currently available on the market. We are confident this information will help you make the right purchase.
Best Key Finder Overall
With thousands of positive ratings and reviews, the Tile Mate is the go-to product for anyone getting their first key finder. You can easily attach it to any object you want, and its tracking app is available for iOS and Android. With a range of 100 feet, this device uses Bluetooth to emit a sound until you locate it. It is also compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, and you can turn to the Tile community if you still can’t your item.
Best Key Finder Set
Esky’s key finder set is Amazon’s Choice in the category for good reasons. Each receiver has a range of 100 feet, while the transmitter uses radiofrequency to locate them. This model is particularly simple to use and ideal for very forgetful or older people. Simply press the colored button on the remote and let yourself be guided by the sound and LED light to recover the list item. With 4 finders, this set offers incredible value for money.
Best Long-Range Key Finder
The Tile brand is back in our list with their Pro model, which provides the longest range of our selection. Despite its compact size, you can indeed locate it from 300 feet away, making it ideal if you are often on the move. It is durable, water-resistant, and compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, just like the Tile Mate. If its huge range still isn’t enough, turn to the Tile community. The replaceable battery has a one-year warranty.
Loudest Key Finder
If you often lose your keys but know that you have difficulties hearing the sound to locate it with a standard key finder, this model is for you. The 2 KeyRingers are ready to use the moment you receive them, and they offer a range of 300 feet. What truly makes them stand out is the loudness of their alarm. You can use each one to call the other, or the KeyRinger website on your computer, phone, or tablet. Two-year warranty included.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Key Finders
What is a key finder exactly?
What are the advantages of key finders?
- They are affordable. They can cost as low as $15.
- Different technologies are available. You can choose a model that connects using Bluetooth or radiofrequency.
- You will never lose your keys again. They are designed explicitly for forgetful, absent-minded, or older people.
- Key finders can locate other objects. You can use them to find your glasses, purse, or any other item like your pet’s collar. You can even locate your cell phone when it is in silent mode, which is a great advantage.
- They are compact. These devices are generally small and ideal for carrying as a key ring with all your other keys.
- They offer various warning systems. Your key finder can tell you where your keys are using a sound, but also LED lights if you prefer.
- They are the perfect gift. If your mother is always forgetting her keys, or if your child lets your dog run away every time they go for a walk, you will find key finders to be useful presents.
What types of key finders are there?
- Bluetooth key finders. They use Bluetooth technology to detect nearby items using a GPS-enabled phone. These models are designed to find objects in your home. The Bluetooth version should be 4.0 or higher. They are generally available on iOS and Android.
- GPS key finders. These devices use a mobile application to geolocate the object you have lost. They connect to cell phone towers. You can usually configure various useful functions from the app, such as the volume of the warning sounds.
- RFID key finders. These models operate via radio frequency (Radio Frequency IDentification) by broadcasting the identity of an object through radio waves. Certain RFID key finders also incorporate LED lights for greater visibility and identification.
- Key finders with Wi-Fi. These devices only use wireless access points to tell you where your keys are. This is particularly useful in places with low to no GPS coverage, such as a basement.
- Key finders with LED lights. This functionality will allow you to visualize more easily your lost item. It is generally integrated into other Bluetooth, GPS, or RFID key finders.
How do community-based key finders work?
Now that you know just how useful a key finder can be, don’t neglect the last section of our guide. It will tell you all about the most important purchasing criteria to evaluate before choosing a model. Picking a key finder with a 10-foot range won’t be any good if you spend most of your time outside. This is why we have detailed the following aspects:
Ease of Use
Always remember why you want to buy a key finder. If it is intended for an older adult, you should prefer the most basic models. Its ease of use will ultimately determine whether you make the most of the device or if it ends up stuffed in a drawer and forgotten. If you are fond of new technologies, on the other hand, we encourage you to choose the most advanced models.
This is naturally one of the most fundamental criteria of a key finder. You won’t need a vast reach if you generally lose your keys in your apartment, but it is a whole other story if you live on a farm. As a rule of thumb, you should choose a key finder with a range of at least 60 feet for indoor use, and between 100 to 150 feet when outside.
If you feel very comfortable with the latest technological advances in this type of device, you could opt for a model that integrates an alarm perimeter functionality. That way, you are immediately warned via an alarm whenever your keys, pet, or any other item linked to the device leaves the set perimeter.
If you want your key finder to use smart object detection, buy a model with at least Bluetooth 4.0. This is the minimum version with which the technology can work, and you should opt for Bluetooth 4.1 if you can. As you know, these kinds of gadgets develop at an incredible rate; newer versions are available on the market every few months.
If you have read our product selection above, you won’t be surprised that there is such a wide range of products to choose from. That means you can also opt for radiofrequency or GPS models if you prefer. Either way, all of these technologies have proved to serve their purpose, with the former being particularly simple to use for beginners.
Always go for a lithium battery model if you want your device to last. This will guarantee you at least one year of continuous use. As you can see in our product selection, the market offers a wide array of options. You can also choose AAA batteries if you find them more comfortable, or button cells.
Size & Weight
While neither of these criteria actually affect the operating of your key finder, they do influence how comfortable its use is. If you often lose your keys, you will undoubtedly want your new device to be small enough to take along without bothering you. Choosing a model that is too heavy may result in you leaving it aside after little time.
This factor will determine the durability of the device, so don’t overlook it. We encourage you to opt for ABS plastic, a common material for key finders, as you can see from our selection of the best products on the market. One of its greatest perks is that it is truly affordable while being particularly resistant.
The extra functionalities and features that your key finder offers could just be the decisive factor in your purchase. People with poor eyesight or often in dark environments will appreciate a model that integrates LED lights. The advantage of this feature is that you won’t need your cell phone to localize your keys or the item you are looking for.
You may be a very organized person, but it is extremely common for us to forget things. Keys just happen to be one of the items we most often lose. Once you have your own key finder, all of these worries will go away. You will be able to find them in no time thanks to this device that uses the latest technology to improve your day-to-day life.
Before you jump in and purchase the first gadget you find online, don’t forget to evaluate the relevant criteria we have detailed above. These include the size, range, and integrated technology of the device, as well as how you plan on using it. If you are very familiar with the latest technological trends, you won’t want to opt for the same key finder as older adults who may prefer simplicity over multifunctionality.
We hope that you found our guide on key finders interesting and useful. If that’s the case, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us a comment in the section below, and we will be happy to answer any doubt you may have!
(Source of Featured Image: Et1972: 79512497/ 123rf.com)