How we pick our products
If your dog suffers from any kind of allergy or dietary intolerance, your vet may have told you they need hypoallergenic dog food. When it comes to your pet’s health, and in particular their diet, it is important to pay attention to every detail before making your final purchase, and always choose the best products which you can be assured of their quality.
The ingredients, their composition and nutritional value of every kind of hypoallergenic dog food tells you everything you need to know in order to make sure your dog gets the right food no matter their allergy or intolerance. We have put together this article for you detailing the most important aspects of this product so you can make sure your pet gets the very best hypoallergenic dog food!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- 3.1 What is hypoallergenic dog food and what benefits does it have?
- 3.2 What ingredients are found in hypoallergenic dog food?
- 3.3 Is hypoallergenic dog food the same as dog food for sensitive stomachs?
- 3.4 Does my dog need hypoallergenic dog food?
- 3.5 What does hypoallergenic dog food treat?
- 3.6 What types of hypoallergenic dog food are there?
- 3.7 For how long can you give your dog hypoallergenic dog food?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- We don’t have to tell you how uncomfortable an allergy of any kind can be, whether an allergy to food or anything else. Allergies produce itching, irritation and discomfort, among other effects. They no longer only affect people and more and more dogs suffer from allergies these days. Thanks to hypoallergenic dog food, we can eliminate or minimize this discomfort for our best friend.
- A dog with any allergy or intolerance needs a special type of dog food. This may be food which is gluten, cereal or dairy-free, or one which does not contain a specific kind of meat which the dog cannot eat, while still being high quality and providing the nutrition your dog needs.
- An intolerance is related to the digestive system, while an allergy has to do with your dog’s immune system. It is important to consult with your vet on these matters, and they will give you all the recommendations you need to choose the best hypoallergenic dog food for your pet. Other aspects to keep in mind before buying this product include the size and weight of your dog, and what they like to eat.
Our Selection: The Best Hypoallergenic Dog Food
There are several types of hypoallergenic dog food, such as wet food, but we usually talk about feed because it is the product that dogs consume the most. Based on the characteristics and composition of different brands, we have made a selection with the best hypoallergenic dog food. Be sure to check out this list!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Hypoallergenic Dog Food
In the market you will find a wide range of types and brands of hypoallergenic dog food. If this is a new area for you, it can be confusing to know what to look for, the conditions this type of dog food should satisfy, and how you should give it to your pet. That’s why we’ve put together this shopping guide to answer any questions you may have on the subject.
What is hypoallergenic dog food and what benefits does it have?
Some of the advantages of hypoallergenic dog food for your pet are:
- Greatly improves the overall quality of life of your pet, and you will notice that they will stop itching or experiencing the other symptoms that they had when eating normal dog food.
- Suele utilizarse en dietas de exclusión tras el diagnóstico médico de alguna alergia o intolerancia, pero al ser muy completa puede consumirse de manera habitual y continuada.
- Usually used in exclusion diets after medical diagnosis of an allergy or intolerance, however as a complete form of dog food it can also be eaten on a regular basis.
- It is a very nutritional kind of food made without processed meats, based primarily on fresh meat, but which will give your dog all the vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and minerals that they need.
- Your dog will love the taste. There is also a large variety of flavors.
- It helps with your dog’s digestion, making it simple to ensure good digestion for your dog.
- It improves your dog’s coat making it strong, healthy and shiny.
What ingredients are found in hypoallergenic dog food?
Hypoallergenic dog food, on the other hand, will never contain beef or pork, cereals or derivatives of soy or milk. Its composition has to be low in allergens, which are ingredients or components which commonly trigger reactions. Some products contain a small amount of chicken, but this is not usual.
Is hypoallergenic dog food the same as dog food for sensitive stomachs?
If your dog has just been sterilized, you should look for dog food that helps them maintain a healthy weight. It is important to give your dog to a healthy diet, exercise them daily and have them eat on a regular schedule. Their well-being and that of their stomach will also improve with proper hygiene, a good place to sleep and by avoiding extremely temperature changes.
Does my dog need hypoallergenic dog food?
There are studies that show that certain breeds are more prone to food allergies, such as sheep dogs, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Dachshunds, Dalmatians and Boxers. Other breeds which may also experience intolerences or allergies are Cocker Spaniel, Springer Spaniel, West Highland White Terrier, Ihasa Apso, Shar-Pei, Miniature Schnauzer or Rhodesian Ridgeback.
This does not mean that all dogs of these breeds will need hypoallergenic dog food but it is something to keep in mind and ask your vet if you suspect this is the case. In addition, hypoallergenic dog food can be a good option for certain dogs even if they do not suffer from food allergies or intolerances. Again, it is always good to consult with a veterinarian, but this may be the case for dogs with very sensitive skin, such as Bulldogs or Chihuahuas. If you start to notice symptoms in your dog such as itching, hairless areas or digestive problems, make an appointment. Only a professional can diagnose an allergy and rule out other diseases. Following a positive diagnosis, the dog must follow a diet without the ingredients that trigger its allergies.
What does hypoallergenic dog food treat?
Each case is different, but in general, allergies can be caused by a change in the dog’s eating habits by consuming certain commercial food with some component that causes an allergic reaction. It can also be caused by contact with substances in the environment.
When talking about food intolerance, it means that the dog is not able to correctly digest the nutrients in certain foods, affecting this digestive process. Animal proteins are the main causes of these disorders: dairy products, eggs, chicken, everything that has a bovine origin, or the gluten present in wheat, barley and rye.
|Symptoms of allergies in dogs||Symptoms of intolerance|
|Intense itching and continual scratching.
Changes in the skin.
|Respiratory disorders.||Chronic otitis.
Tendency to chew their paws.
Once the veterinarian diagnoses either an allergy or food intolerance, they will give you recommendations to follow. This will most likely include hypoallergenic dog food, which you must feed your dog during a certain number of weeks, during a diet of exclusion of certain foods to discover what is causing the reaction, or for an extended period time.
What types of hypoallergenic dog food are there?
A good hypoallergenic dog food should contain proteins, fats and carbohydrates, in amounts appropriate to the age of the dog and its physical demands. These proteins, fats and carbohydrates should come from sources that do not cause allergies, that is not wheat, gluten, soy, corn, eggs, milk and dairy products.
|Wet hypoallergenic dog food||Recommended to give to your dog from time to time. Come in a can which and are ideal for promoting hydration.|
|Hypoallergenic snacks and treats|| Semi-dried biscuits or snacks are perfect rewards for dogs with intolerances or allergies.
Natural and hypoallergenic.
Ideals to strengthen the muscles in the jaw and stimulate chewing.
|Dry hypoallergenic dog food||The most common and affordable kind of hypoallergenic dog food in the long term. Large variety of types and flavors.|
For how long can you give your dog hypoallergenic dog food?
Thanks to the reduction or elimination of typical allergens and the quality of their substitutes, hypoallergenic dog food is usually suitable for the majority of pets. When treating specific conditions, it is advisable that your pet should consume it for an average of 2 or 3 months without interruption, depending on the case.
Once you are clear that you need to buy hypoallergenic dog food, you then need to choose between the various brands and products available. The first criteria, the advice of your vet, has already been mentioned but this is worth repeating as it is vital to consult with your vet regarding the specific needs of your pet. Remember that each case is different!
To be sure that your dog’s diet is complete, check with your veterinarian which one best suits your individual needs. It is important to look for a hypoallergenic dog food adapted both to their particular allergy or intolerance and to their weight, age and activity level. In addition, your vet will give you recommend how long your pet should follow a hypoallergenic diet.
Just like for humans, the composition of hypoallergenic dog food is very important, and should include all the nutrients and vitamins your pet needs. Be sure to check the product’s nutritional information which will detail the energy value of the dog food and the nutrients it includes: proteins, fats, saturated fats, carbohydrates, sugars and salt.
There are many benefits of hypoallergenic dog food: it can help to treat joint diseases and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, promote a strong, shiny coat, fight anaemic conditions and keep the immune system strong. These benefits vary according to the specific type of hypoallergenic dog food, so be sure to investigate the product thoroughly.
Size and Weight of the Dog
As you look for hypoallergenic dog food, you will see that each product will indicate it is suitable for dogs of a certain size or weight. The food for a small dog is not the same as for a large one, and so the animal’s weight and age must be taken into account. There is specific food for puppies as well as for adult dogs. Your choice therefore should consider all these factors.
In the same way that people pay close attention to what we eat and avoid ultra-processed and unnatural foods, we should do the same with the food we give to our dog. In particular, a dog that suffers from allergies or any food intolerance will need a specific diet in order to live a normal, happy life.
Hypoallergenic dog food is made from certain ingredients that do not produce allergies, typically specific meats, fish oils and rice. Different products are more beneficial for certain breeds or for the problem being treated depending on their condition. We have already seen that an allergy is not the same as an intolerance and how to differentiate between these two issues.
(Source of the featured image: Jaromír Chalabal: 58733469/ 123rf.com)