When it comes to heated mattress pads, much has been said, and people continue to discuss the subject. A few isolated accidents have generated a bad reputation for heated mattress pads among some people. But the truth is, although these are products that use electricity, when the manufacturer’s instructions and cautions are followed, there is little likelihood of risk or danger.
Below we will explain everything you need to know in order to find the best heated mattress pad on the market today. In addition to safe and proper use, it is always advisable to purchase trusted brands and products with high customer ratings, not to mention those with safety certifications, especially when it comes to electrical items.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Heated Mattress Pads on the U.S. Market
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Heated Mattress Pads
- 3.1 What exactly are heated mattress pads?
- 3.2 What are the advantages of a heated mattress pad?
- 3.3 What therapeutic benefits does a heated mattress pad provide?
- 3.4 Are there any disadvantages to heated mattress pads?
- 3.5 Who should not use a heated mattress pad?
- 3.6 Can a heated mattress pad be washed?
- 3.7 How do you operate a heated mattress pad?
- 3.8 How long does a heated mattress pad last?
- 3.9 What do experts recommend regarding heated mattress pads?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- The “UL” marking, which certifies that the product has passed specific safety tests, is a good quality standard to look for on electrical products sold in the United States–especially those involving electricity and heat.
- It is very important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use the heated mattress pad, when to have it serviced and when it should be discarded.
- The heat provided by a heated mattress pad is beneficial for various ailments and conditions, such as muscle pain, backaches, arthritis, insomnia, and others.
Our Selection: The Best Heated Mattress Pads on the U.S. Market
In the paragraphs below we will detail some important features in each of the models that we have selected, so that you can make your decision based on your needs and preferences. This is a list of some of the best heated mattress pads on the market in [sc_2019]:
- Best Dual-Control Heated Mattress Pad
- Best Low-Voltage Heated Mattress Pad
- Best Flannel Heated Mattress Pad
Best Dual-Control Heated Mattress Pad
This Amazon’s Choice Mattress Pad comes in Queen or King sizes, has dual controllers with 10 different temperature settings and features an automatic turn-off setting after 10 hours for safety and energy savings. It comes with a 5-year warranty and fits mattresses up to 18 inches deep.
Best Low-Voltage Heated Mattress Pad
At under $150.00, this Amazon’s choice mattress pad is at the higher end of the scale, but it features the all-over penetrating warmth of low-voltage technology that changes 120 volt AC home current into non-hazardous low voltage DC current (similar to a battery) to provide warmth, protection and safety even if the mattress pad becomes wet.
Best Flannel Heated Mattress Pad
This heated mattress pad is another Amazon’s Choice product that includes automatic shut-off, 10 temperature setting and comes with soft comfy flannel. This product is only available in twin size, and has a price tag of $46.99, but is machine washable and dryable. An excellent value for a durable product that will last for years.
Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Heated Mattress Pads
Because of the elements to heat, electricity and use next to the body, it is natural to have many questions about heated mattress pads. Next, we will summarize the answers to some of the most common questions asked by shoppers. In this way, you will not need to research countless web pages to find the answer to each of your questions.
What exactly are heated mattress pads?
One of the reasons why heated mattress pads have become so popular is due to the dual temperature controls many of them offer. This means that they have two sets of heat controllers that provide the opportunity to set two different temperatures–one for each side–if the bed is shared with another person. In this way, any “heated” discussions about temperature can be avoided.
What are the advantages of a heated mattress pad?
- Reduces mites: The moisture that a mattress can contain, plus the skin and hair that the body sheds, is a perfect breeding ground for mites. These insects trigger, in many cases, symptoms of asthma and allergies. Several university studies have confirmed that using a heated mattress pad for just one month can reduce dust mites by up to 50% by reducing moisture.
- Uses low-voltage wiring: Modern electric mattresses use this type of wiring, which is much safer than more dangerous older models. In addition, current models of heated mattress pads come with a transformer that reduces the voltage that circulates through the product. In the past, heated mattress pads used electricity directly from an outlet. It is a good idea to replace any old heated mattress pads you may own with one of these modern ones.
- Saves energy: Heated mattress pads consume around 60 watts of electricity in the case of single beds and 120 watts if it is a double bed. Of course, you will only save money on electricity if you turn off the heated mattress pad during the night, and turn it off whenever it is not in use. Many people find they can set their home heating system at a much lower temperature with use of a heated mattress pad.
- Provides uniform heat: Heated mattress pads generate heat evenly across the surface without having to add layer upon layer of bedding.
What therapeutic benefits does a heated mattress pad provide?
- Muscle Pains
- Post-Polio Syndrome
- Raynaund’s Phenomenon
- Circulatory Problems
Are there any disadvantages to heated mattress pads?
Reports of electric mattresses causing fires usually have their origin in the older-style models, when the products were not completely reliable because they did not have an automatic shut-off system, and low-voltage options were not available. Of course, it is also the responsibility of the consumer not to leave the heated mattress pad on for long periods of time nor to let it become folded or wrinkled while on.
Another concern is the wiring of the heated mattress pad. Electric mattress pad heaters are heated through a wire sewn into the fabric. These wires can break down over time with normal wear and tear, which will make the heated mattress pad fail to heat. In those cases, it is recommended that you immediately discard the heated mattress pad and buy a new one rather than run the risk of a short circuit or fire.
Who should not use a heated mattress pad?
Heated mattress pads are also risky to use with babies and young children. The pads can become too hot and burn their sensitive skin without your knowing in what is called a “low temperature burn.” Additionally, elderly or diabetic people should avoid electric mattresses, as their skin can burn easily if it is exposed to heat for too long.
Can a heated mattress pad be washed?
How do you operate a heated mattress pad?
It is important to highlight two points about the use of heated mattress pads. First of all, it is recommended that you only use the mattress pad to pre-heat your bed an hour or so before you go to bed and then turn it off when you lie down, to avoid any kind of risk. Leaving the heated mattress pad on for eight hours is not the best option. Secondly, it is important to verify that the heated mattress pad is well positioned, without wrinkles or folds, so that it distributes the heat evenly and avoids risk of fire or damage.
How long does a heated mattress pad last?
What do experts recommend regarding heated mattress pads?
On the other hand, it is also suggested that you inspect the electric mattresses once a year, that is, before the first use of the season. Currently, there is serious emphasis on this point, given that users do not inspect their heated mattress pads, potentially leading to serious unexpected risks.
Previously, only a single heated mattress pad design was offered. Nowadays, due to the high demand of these products you can find electric mattresses for single, double and queen or king beds. In the case of queen and king-sized heated mattress pads, manufacturers have often added a double thermostat and controller system so that each person can select their own desired temperature.
Construction options are varied: polyester models, waterproof models, models with one side of wool and another of cotton, models of 100% wool or both sides of cotton. However, if you are allergic to any of these materials, we recommend that you always consult with the seller before your purchase to ensure that none of these materials are present in the product you buy.
Knowing the voltage of your product will help you know what the energy consumption of the heated mattress pad will be, if you concerned saving money on energy. Of course, the higher the voltage, the more energy the item uses. It is also important to check the presence of the “UL” mark, which ensures safety.
This is perhaps the most important point of all if you consider that we are talking about electrical products. Each heated mattress pad must have a label that certifies its safety. In the specific case of electricity, for a product with electricity to be sold, it is always a good idea to look for the UL (Underwriter’s Laboratory) marks.
The UL marking, is proof that the article has passed all controls and meets the requirements of safety, health and environmental protection, as expressed by the organization. It is important to remember that, even if they are not products of the U.S., if they are being offered in the U.S. market, they should have the UL certification.
In addition to all of the above, there are certain characteristics that are worth looking at when investing in a product of this type. When making your purchase, you can think about what you would like to have for your own heated mattress pad:
- Dual thermostat if you share a bed
- Automatic regulation of temperature levels
- Remote control to raise or lower the temperature remotely
- Built-in timer
- Auto power off (after three, eight or twelve hours, for example)
- Electrical Safety System, which disconnects the device in the event of a liquid spill
Below we will show you a comparative chart of heated mattress pads and electric blankets:
|Heated Mattress Pad||Electric Blanket|
|Placement||Placed between the sheet and the mattress.||Placed on top of the top sheet.|
|Difference 1||Cannot be used on a sofa.||Can be used on a sofa.|
|Difference 2||Somewhat rigid to support a certain amount of weight.||A fabric blanket designed to cover people.|
To summarize, heated mattress pads are useful products for heating the space where you sleep. Additionally, they save energy and relieve certain discomforts such as muscle aches. But, it is necessary to stress the importance of paying attention to the manufacturer’s instructions regarding safety and proper operation.
With proper use, your heated mattress pad will become your best friend during the winter months. Try one and you are sure to become a fan of this innovative product that clearly offers many advantages.
If you enjoyed this article, do not hesitate to share it on social media and leave us your comments below.
(Source of Featured Image: Khongkit Wiriyachan: 43215118/ 123rf.com)