How we pick our products
Have you ever wondered how builders get their buildings so straight? For a building and all its elements such as carpentry, mechanics and electronics to be constructed at the correct angle, it is necessary to measure them using a goniometer.
Goniometers are designed be used with laser levels and inclinometers. They are a measuring instrument that should be in every professional’s toolbox. In this article we will explain some of the main characteristics of goniometers in order to help you buy the tool that you need.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Goniometers on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Goniometers
- 3.1 What is a goniometer exactly?
- 3.2 What are goniometers used for?
- 3.3 What are tasks are goniometers usually used for?
- 3.4 What are the differences between goniometers and laser levels?
- 3.5 Besides measuring angles, what else can I do with goniometer?
- 3.6 What are the advantages of a digital versus analog goniometers?
- 3.7 Which is better: a goniometer or an inclinometer with a laser meter?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- The digital goniometer is a very simple and reasonably-priced tool that will allow you to perform a wide variety of tasks. This instrument has a semicircle or a circle which can be rotated 180 or 360º.
- Goniometers are very simple to use. To measure any angle, simply place both pieces at the points you want to measure and you will see the measurement displayed on the screen.
- The accuracy of the instrument is a critical factor to consider when choosing a goniometer, as you will see later in this article. These tools should offer a measuring range that covers angles from 0 to 90 degrees (º) at a minimum.
Our Selection: The Best Goniometers on the U.S. Market
You’ll find a great variety of goniometers available on the market today. There are digital models that present measurements in a very simple way, as well as analog ones that require more precision. Unless you’re an expert in this field, you’ll probably struggle to work out which is the best model for you. To help you with this decision, we’ve compiled this list of four of the best goniometers around.
- Best Analog Goniometer
- Best 7-Piece Goniometer Pack
- Best Digital Goniometer
- Best High Accuracy Goniometer
Best Analog Goniometer
Simple yet effective, this analog goniometer is in the traditional design, allowing you to easily measure angles to a high degree of accuracy. This model gives 360 degrees of coverage in 1-degree increments. For a low price tag, you get not one but three pieces, at 12″, 8″ and 6″.
Best 7-Piece Goniometer Pack
To be able to suit any situation in building or DIY, look no further than this comprehensive 7-piece set of analog goniometers. In a variety of sizes from 12″ to the small finger goniometer, the set also comes with a tape measure, so throw it in your toolbox and all your needs will be covered!
Best Digital Goniometer
Digital goniometers make measuring angles to a high degree of accuracy even easier, with their accurate, easy-to-read LED display, making measuring more efficient and so allowing you to work faster. This model is a ruler made of light-weight aluminum with a rounded edge for more comfortable handling. It also offers a high degree of accuracy at a reasonable price.
Best High Accuracy Goniometer
This digital goniometer has an extremely high level of accuracy, being able to measure to 0.3 degree. Additionally, this tool combines a ruler along with the goniometer helping you be more efficient in your work, whether professional construction or DIY projects around the house. It can be locked at any angle allowing you to read it easily.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Goniometers
What is a goniometer exactly?
By using simple mathematical calculations, these tools are able to determine, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, the distance between two points. At present, these instruments have evolved and are used in construction, carpentry, mechanical manufacturing workshops and by DIY-enthusiasts.
What are goniometers used for?
Digital goniometers, in combination with a tape measure and an inclinometer or a level are especially suitable for any construction work. They also serve to measure cutting angles when making furniture, machinery and even musical instruments. Goniometers are highly valued for precision work.
What are tasks are goniometers usually used for?
Here are some examples of the tasks you can easily do with your goniometer, whether you are a professional or simply using it at home:
- Installing shelves and cupboards.
- Installing door or window frames.
- Decorating inside or outside the home.
- Construction work in general.
- Carpentry work in general.
- Pipe installation.
- Manufacturing musical instruments.
- Manufacturing machinery.
- Installing hinges for doors and windows.
What are the differences between goniometers and laser levels?
Goniometers are used to measure acute, right and obtuse angles between two planes. These planes could be two walls, a gable roof or the angle between two pieces that you need to weld or join together. Some digital goniometers also have leveling functions and many incorporate the traditional level bubble.
Besides measuring angles, what else can I do with goniometer?
This is especially important for working miter cuts with a miter or a circular table saw. This type of work is very common in carpentry, for example as well as for a variety of other tasks. This technique is also used in construction and in artisanal manufacturing.
What are the advantages of a digital versus analog goniometers?
Digital goniometers do not have complicated dial readings, as they display the information simply on an LCD screen. In addition, many digital goniometers offer other advantages, such as angle conversion. Here are some of the key advantages of digital goniometers:
- They display the information on an LCD screen.
- They have a backlight, so you can work in low light.
- They let you convert angles to the sexagesimal system ( which is the most common), as well as to centesimals or radiants.
- They let you store measurements and upload them to a smartphone or a computer.
- Are faster, since you just have to place it on the surface you want to measure.
- Some goniometer models let you combine them with other tools such as a laser level or a laser meter.
Which is better: a goniometer or an inclinometer with a laser meter?
As previously mentioned, you can use these tools together to measure angles, level and distance to a high degree of accuracy. However, it is not a good idea to use one as a replacement for the other. Goniometers are very reasonably-priced, so it is worth investing a little and avoiding future issues.
Precision work requires quality tools that make your work easier and guarantee the best results. Therefore, it is important to know how to choose the best tools for the job. To help you, we have prepared a guide to the factors you should keep in mind in order to choose the best goniometer available.
The size of a goniometer you need will depend on the work you plan to do with it. For example, larger models with longer arms are suitable for construction and masonry, with an abundance of different models and types available in this category. Some can also be combined with meters or levels.
If you want a goniometer for precision work such as carpentry, adjustment of mechanical parts or manufacturing and DIY tasks, you’re best off with a small goniometer. These instruments are far more manageable, which is critical if you are working in tight or narrow spaces.
These tools are primarily designed to measure and advance angles, but it is also worth checking if they have extra functions. If you’re planning to use your goniometer for construction, masonry or plumbing work, you should choose a model that has a leveling function, as this will let you work more efficiently, as well as saving space in your toolkit.
Another very handy function that some goniometers have is memory storage. This lets you save your measurements and therefore work across multiple angles in the most precise way possible. This is very useful for construction and carpentry work. The very best goniometers can even export your measurements to a smartphone or computer.
Accuracy is arguably the most important factor when buying a goniometer. If the measurement of the angles is not accurate, the quality of our work will leave much to be desired. Therefore, it is important that you choose a tool that covers as many angles as possible. Most goniometers have a range between 180 and 360º, with 360º being the better choice.
Measurements should be accurate to 0.1 to 0.3 degrees maximum, with a variation of no more than 0.1 degrees. With these measurements, the higher the number, the lower the accuracy. It is also important that you have an angle converter, allowing you to work more easily.
Goniometers, although very simple tools, are indispensable for a wide variety of construction and carpentry tasks. They let you achieve the best results when cutting angles or measuring surfaces. Use them in your DIY projects for consistent, high-quality results. When it comes to value for money, the goniometer is unbeatable. This tool is very low-priced, yet is a simple, precise and necessary tool, which is a must-have for your toolbox.
If you found this article useful, leave us a comment and share it with your friends and family so that they can also find the best goniometers out there!
(Source of Featured Image: Alexandr Loskutov: 2074986/ 123rf.com)