How we pick our products
Golf is a sport that is not only very popular in the USA, but also across the entire world. However, not as many people play golf as other sports in the USA, as it requires purchasing specialized equipment (such as clubs, balls, shoes, etc) and it must be played on a golf course. The total cost of playing golf can be prohibitive for some, but for many people it is their favorite sport that they love to play whenever they have some free time.
There are so many different golf accessories on the market these days, yet golf balls still remain the most crucial. Choosing the correct golf ball, will help you shoot a lower score, and make your golfing experience all the more enjoyable.
- The quality of the ball used by a golfer can influence their game, and their final score, more so than for other sportspeople.
- The core is the most important part of a golf ball.
- The compression and construction of a golf ball are important factors to consider when making your purchase.
Our Selection of the best Golf Balls
In this section we show you the most popular golf balls on the market. You need to look carefully at each product before making your final decision, making sure that it meets the conditions for how you plan to use it. The materials in construction and the overall size are two of the most important aspects to consider before making your purchase.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Golf Balls
In this section we answer the most frequently asked questions about golf balls and their different features. This will make it easier for you to find the product that is best for you, among the wide-range of balls available on the market. It is especially important for beginners to understand how different types of golf balls behave, before deciding which ones to buy.
What is a golf ball?
What are the characteristics of officially sanctioned golf balls?
- Golf balls must have a symmetrical design.
- The diameter must not be less than 1.68″.
- It must not weigh more than 1.62 Oz.
- Must have a maximum velocity of 255 feet/second, or about 173.5 mph.
What are the different parts of a golf ball?
- Core: This is the nucleus of the golf ball. It can be plastic filled with liquid or solid rubber.
- Cover: This is the exterior of the golf ball. The number and pattern of the dimples, and the type of material used will have the biggest effect over the flight of the golf ball through the air.
- Mantel: A mantel is a thin layer found between the core and the cover. It stabilizes the flight of the golf ball through the air, by reducing unwanted spin. A golf ball can contain several mantel layers, which can be made of ceramic, metal, glass or carbon.
What is the correct golf ball according to a player’s handicap?
|Type of ball||Balls with two layers, featuring a liquid core and resistant cover.||Balls with three layers, featuring a plastic urethane cover.||Multilayered balls, with a low-pressure nucleus, solid mantel and a soft cover.|
|First characteristic||Generate a low amount of spin and travel further.||Allow better short game control.||Allow better control over the golf ball, but diminish the distance it can be hit.|
|Second Characteristic||Are very durable.||Have a mantel between the core and the cover.||Are more expensive.|
What are the advantages of recycled golf balls?
Recycled golf balls allow beginners and amateurs to buy high quality balls at a low price, while professionals can use them as a cheaper option for training. These golf balls are not only better for the environment, but are also more economical.
What is the best way to clean golf balls?
Sometimes this is not sufficient. If the dirt persists, try using dishwashing detergent or bleach specially designed for golf balls. If this still doesn’t work, you can try immersing the balls in water with ammonia, bleach or white vinegar for around three hours. Then wipe them clean with a wet cloth and dry them with a towel.
What are the best brands of golf balls?
- Wilson: One of the most popular brands of golf ball manufacturers, although they also make products for many other sports.
- Nike: The giant of sports equipment manufacturing must be mentioned. Nike is immersed in the development and production of golfing equipment and accessories. Quality assured and endorsed by many of the game’s best players.
- Callaway: A Californian company founded in the early 1980s. Their products are very popular and widely respected by golfers.
- Srixon: An American brand owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries. It is a company dedicated to the manufacture of golf accessories, which it distributes around the world.
- Links Choice: Started out as a family business and has grown into one of the most recognized brands of recycled golf balls. They refinish and repackage golf balls from the top manufacturers, and offer quality golf balls at a much cheaper price.
Your level as a player and how you play should determine the balls that you buy. It is important to find the most suitable type of golf balls, based on the materials used, the construction method and the number of layers. It is also important to factor in the compression rating, as well as the number and pattern of the dimples on the outer cover, which will influence the flight of the ball in the air.
The rigidity of the ball’s core is a factor that must be taken into account, as the amount of compression determines the tolerance to impact and that the ball does not become deformed during a round. It is more important for driving, which is the most powerful type of shot with the biggest impact. If you have a fast swing, you will need a high compression ball.
A highly compressed ball will also give the golf ball greater durability, and will mean that it can be used several times without losing performance during flight. Compression levels are generally given by manufacturers in a range between 60-200, with a higher rating equating to a more compressed ball. This factor is an essential feature of multilayered balls.
Golf balls are constructed in two parts, the interior and the exterior. Both are of equal importance, and the wide-range of different materials and manufacturing methods offer us different alternatives. You need to find the one that best suits your game. These are the different types of golf balls and their characteristics:
|Criteria||Liquid core||Solid core||Double layered||Multilayered|
|Material of the core||Small plastic core filled with liquid, that is encased in rubber.||Solid rubber core, with an interior layer between the core and the cover.||Large solid rubber core.||Solid rubber core, with an interior layer between the core and the cover.|
|Cover||Uses synthetic ceramic, urethane or rubber for the cover.||Urethane cover.||The cover material can be surlyn or plastic ionomer.||Urethane is often used for the cover.|
|Recommended for||Professional players.||For golfers with a low handicap.||For golfers with a medium handicap, or for those looking for durability and distance.||For golfers with a low handicap and those looking for distance.|
The number of balls included in the batch you intend to purchase must be taken into account. Players who are just starting out, or who are still inexperienced, need a greater number of balls, since they usually lack the accuracy of seasoned professionals, especially when it comes to teeing off with a driver.
Most products include twelve balls, although there are some that include way more, even up to one hundred. The color is also an important factor. More experienced golfers don’t usually have as many problems, but beginners will often lose sight of their ball as they are more inaccurate. Striking colors will help you to more easily find a lost ball.
The golf ball covers are made from many different materials, but the most important factor is the number of layers they have, as this will determine which option will best adapt to our individual characteristics as a player. The more layers the better, unless you are just starting out. There are four options to choose from:
- One layer: Simple balls, which are usually only used for practice.
- Two layers: Recommended for beginners and amateurs, as they fly a great distance and are durable.
- Three layers: Less resistant to impact, but respond more precisely.
- Multilayered: Combines distance, precision and durability.
The number of dimples, their dimensions and pattern are important factors to consider when choosing a golf ball, since they have big influence on the flight of a ball through the air. The higher the number of dimples, the more stable the ball. However, in excessively windy situations, balls with less dimples (and therefore a greater weight) are recommended for achieving a greater distance.
It is super important to play golf with balls that make you feel confident and at ease. Once you have settled on the best ball for your game, you need to stick with it and not change balls. Otherwise you will be constantly adjusting to using different balls, meaning your game can suffer and you will have less of a chance of hitting a good score. Find something you love, and your game will improve as you practice more.
The most important thing to remember is that the best golf ball will depend on the individual characteristics of each player. It is maybe more important for beginners to try to gain more meters with each stroke, while more advanced players are likely to be looking for greater precision. Think about your game, and what sort of ball would suit you best before making your choice.
(Source of Featured Image: Nathaphat Chanphirom: 60134678/ 123rf.com)