How we pick our products
When choosing a coat for yourself, you always take into consideration the quality of the fabric, price and seasonal trends. Well, you should do the same when buying a coat for your dog, plus more. The age of your dog, the breed of dog, and even the climate of your area are factors that should be carefully assessed in order to make a good decision.
No matter how much you like cloth or wool when choosing a dog coat, you must prioritize your dog’s comfort rather than thinking about a print that looks nice in photos. It is also important to make sure your dog really needs a coat. So, what are you waiting for, we’ve written a guide on dog coats and the best products on the market. Don’t miss it!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best dog coats
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about dog coats
- 3.1 What are dog coats and what are their advantages?
- 3.2 Is a dog coat really necessary?
- 3.3 Are dog coats always advisable?
- 3.4 What should I consider when buying a dog coat?
- 3.5 How to choose the coat size?
- 3.6 How to take good measurements of your dog?
- 3.7 Where can I buy a coat?
- 3.8 What types of dog coats are there?
- 3.9 When and how to use dog coats?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- You shouldn’t view your dog’s coat as a simple accessory or toy. There are certain breeds that are very sensitive to cold and temperature changes. It is critical that your pet is always warm in order to be comfortable and avoid becoming unwell.
- Not all dogs need to wear a coat, and some breeds even find it uncomfortable or unnecessary. Keep in mind that a coat can complicate your dog’s movements and your dog is usually the happiest when it is enjoying freedom in the park or yard.
- Buying cheap dog coats from a physical or online store without properly assessing the needs of your dog can result in unfavorable results. Consult your vet or a dog expert when choosing a dog coat, and take into account factors such as breed, size, and age of the dog. The climate that you live in and the quality of the fabric are also major factors to consider.
Ranking: The best dog coats
You may have noticed dogs on the street with their coats on when the temperatures drop in winter. It is true that dog coats a very useful accessory that can also provide your dog with a sense of fashion or identity. There are many cute options to choose from when buying a dog coat that sometimes the choice becomes very difficult. With this and all the features of a dog coat in mind, here is a selection of the best dog coats on the market.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about dog coats
What are dog coats and what are their advantages?
Think about what it would be like for a dog during winter. You are at home, wanting all day to go outside to do your business, but when the door is opened to go outside the cold is so harsh that you can’t leave the house. This is how abrupt the change in temperature can be! Just as we use a coat for venturing out during winter, so does your pet.
Like everything, dog coats have advantages and disadvantages. Below we present a comparison chart with both the positive and negative aspects to dog coats.
Is a dog coat really necessary?
Some dogs are more sensitive to cold and humidity than others, such as puppies, older dogs or dogs with very short hair. The most vulnerable breeds tend to be Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, and greyhounds. On the contrary, the breeds that withstand the cold well include the Siberian husky and the San Bernardo.
Are dog coats always advisable?
The age of your dog is a factor that is important to consider. An older dog, who is no longer accustomed to running continuously when it goes outside, will not see a coat as a nuisance. You can also consider a coat for dogs as a barrier to prevent your pet from coming home completely soaked from the rain. In addition to not having to dry your animal, a dog coat will also prevent the dreaded wet dog smell in the house.
What should I consider when buying a dog coat?
The city you live in and its natural climate are also key factors when choosing coats for dogs. We specifically mention the city because the main buyers of this type of product are people who live in flats and cities. Also, the nature and daily routine of your dog, along with the time it normally spends outside should be considered.
The type of hair, whether or not your dog has allergies or dermatitis issues, are the specific details that you should discuss with your vet. Only a trained veterinarian will be able to advise you on these aspects.
How to choose the coat size?
To buy the correct size, you will need to take measurements around the neck and around the chest of your four-legged friend. The length of your dog is from the start of the neck to the base of the tail. One of our recommendations is that if the size of the dog is between two coat sizes, you should choose the bigger size.
How to take good measurements of your dog?
When taking the measurements of your dog’s neck, we recommend putting two fingers under the tape measure, to give the correct measurement that will be comfortable for your dog. The same adjustment should be followed when taking the measurement of the chest. Thie chest measurement must be taken at the widest point of the chest, which is usually just behind the front legs.
Where can I buy a coat?
Dog coats will guarantee protection against cold, wind, water, rain and snow. Among the latest innovations in dog fashion, you can buy fully customized dog clothing for all types of situations: raincoats with or without a hood, coats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jerseys, vests, shoes and even pajamas.
What types of dog coats are there?
- Raincoats: Raincoats provide extra protection against rain, moisture, and snow. They are highly recommended because they will avoid increasing the humidity around your dog’s body.
- Coat with a hood: Everyday it seems that there are new patterns and designs for dog coats. Nowadays there are coats for dogs that have a built-in hood. This detail is more of a compliment, but if it rains a lot where you live, a hood can protect your dog’s head.
- Padded and lined: Particularly suitable for dogs that are more sensitive to the cold and that have less hair. Remember that during the winter months that it is not advisable to cut your dog’s hair very often. Take care with this type of dog coat as it can produce a lot of heat for the dog.
- Reflective coats: There are coats for dogs that have reflective strips or prints that are perfect for keeping your dog safe at night. The reflective strips can easily be seen by cars and help owners keep an eye on their dog when taking them out at night.
- Vests: Dog coats are most often in the form of vests. The vest design focuses on keeping the core of the dog’s body warm whilst minimizing the restriction of movement. A vest will be enough to keep your dog protected from the cold.
When and how to use dog coats?
Try to only use a coat on your dog when it rains a lot and temperatures are low. If your dog wants to exercise frequently but the city you live in is cold during winter, you can use a dog coat when taking your dog for a walk. If you own a small dog, their ability to regulate heat is far worse. They feel the cold much quicker, which is why a coat is perfect if you own a small dog.
Once you have decided to buy a coat for your dog, you must pay attention to a few details in order to choose the most suitable product. Everything from your pet’s hair type to age and their size is important. Be especially careful to take the dog’s measurements correctly in order to purchase the right size. Below we list the different aspects to review carefully when buying a dog coat.
- Breed, size, and age
- Customer reviews
Breed, size, and age
Depending on the breed and age of the dog, it will be more or less suitable to buy a coat for your dog. Remember that there are dog breeds that are especially sensitive to low temperatures. Usually, it is those dogs with less hair and more delicate skin. When it comes to the age of a dog, a coat is recommended for puppies and older dogs.
Finally, when selecting the dog coat, be very careful to choose the correct size. There are coats that are specially designed for small, medium and large dogs. Each product will define the specific dimensions of the coat and show you how to take the measurements of your dog to match the size of the coat.
There are coats made from wool, felt, nylon and cotton. Some dog coats are even handmade, which can provide a lot of heat to the dog. Our recommendation is to look for something simple that is waterproof and resistant, such as nylon. As always, we recommend high-quality and easy to clean fabrics when it comes to animal garments. Finally, it is better to choose a dark-colored material for your dog’s coat.
The climate of the area is also a determining factor when selecting a dog coat. Does it rain a lot or is the weather dry except on a few occasions? If it rains frequently but the temperatures are not very low, then a waterproof fabric would be more suitable. However on the contrary, if it is cold but dry, a warm coat made from wool is a better option.
As we always recommend when buying from an online store, take a close look at the opinions of those who have bought dog coats before. When it comes to verified purchases, this will give you valuable information about the quality of the fabric, the size of the product and whether or not it is suitable for taking your dog for a walk.
Dogs love to go outside to play, run or simply enjoy the time with their owner outside the house. This is when a dog is at its happiest. However, if you live in a place that is cold or experiences frequent rain, then these times outside can be difficult for your dog. When it comes to buying a dog coat, don’t just look at the price of the coat, pay attention to the quality of the fabric at the aspects we have discussed throughout this guide.
It is important that a dog coat does not obstruct your dog’s movements or is bought purely as a fashion item rather than a practical accessory. Not all dogs will need a coat, as there are breeds that do not feel the cold and it can even be dangerous to use a coat on them. If your dog does need a coat, ensure that you take the measurements of the dog correctly and select the size that will fit your dog well.
(Source of featured image: Wildstrawberry: 92422531/ 123rf.com)