How we pick our products
Whether you work at home or in an office, you likely spend a lot of time sitting. If this is the case for you, you need to be comfortable and make sure that you are maintaining a correct posture. You need to protect your neck and back, more specifically. One of the most important pieces of furniture in your office is your desk chair. So you need to make sure to get one that is the most appropriate for you.
You may believe that the type of chair you use is not important. You may even use one of the ones in your home. But, if you spend many hours sitting at home or in the office you should have the best possible desk chair. To help you achieve this, we have created this buying guide.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Desk Chairs on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Desk Chairs
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Desk chairs are essential for anyone who works or studies while sitting at a table. You will find endless options on the market. It is important that you choose one that best meets all your needs.
- It is vital that the chair has an ergonomic design. That is, it adapts to the anatomy of its owner. In this way, you will make sure your lower back and any other part of your body suffer as little discomfort as possible.
- It is important that, when choosing your desk chair, you check that its different parts can be adjusted. This refers to the backrest, the seat, the armrests, and the height. If it can be adjusted, you will find it even more comfortable.
Our Selection of the Best Desk Chairs on the U.S. Market
One of the best ways to decide which desk chair to purchase is to review the most valued models. User reviews are, without a doubt, a very important aspect to consider. Therefore, we have selected desk chairs that are highly rated and have the best features.
- Best Selling Desk Chair
- Best Mid-Back Support Desk Chair
- Best Desk Chair for Lumbar Support
- Best Small Office Desk Chair
Best Selling Desk Chair
With thousands of happy customer reviews, it is no surprise that this desk chair is a #1 best seller on Amazon. Ideal for personalized comfort, the AmazonBasics executive chair features a butterfly seat plate, adjustable settings, and curved contours to help keep your back supported and your body properly aligned. In addition to raising and lowering the height of the seat, the handle also controls the tilt of the chair, so it can rock back and forth or not at all. The chair is made with brown leather and PVC that cover both the padded seat cushion and the back cushion.
Best Mid-Back Support Desk Chair
In addition to lower-back support, the gently curved back of this chair by AmazonBasics provides mesh-only sections for enhanced breathability and comfort. This is a great desk chair for anyone looking for a chair with mid-back support. This is a simple chair that has a modern and sophisticated design that offers a professional look in any location, whether you are working from home or in an office. Simple controls let you raise or lower your seat and rock back in your chair, or remain firmly sitting up straight, while the adjustable back helps promote a comfortable seated position.
Best Desk Chair for Lumbar Support
The office chair is wider than the average desk office chairs, and is perfect for anyone looking for lumbar support in their desk chair. This office chair designed with human-oriented ergonomic construction for providing comfort sitting experience, especially for those who suffer from back and neck pain. The office chair has durable breathable mesh back allows air to circulate to keep you cool. This desk chair is also Amazon’s choice for this category, so you can be sure you are getting a good quality product with plenty of reviews from satisfied customers. It also comes in several different colors to personalize your workspace!
Best Small Office Desk Chair
If you have a smaller office space, and need something that does not take up too much room, then this chair is perfect for you. The seat is 18″ wide and 17.5″ deep, and the cushion is 16 inches from the ground, so you can be sure that this desk chair will fit comfortably in your workspace. Mesh covers both the 2-inch-thick padded seat of the chair, as well as the back of the chair. In addition to lower-back support, this chair is guaranteed to be comfortable for hours of sitting. Keep in mind, this chair is only height adjustable, and is designed for someone looking for a basic chair. For only $50, this is a great option for your workspace!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Desk Chairs
Our ranking will help you decide among the best desk chairs on the market, and hopefully you can choose the best one for you. It will help you to discover the most valued models, but also some of its most important features. But you still need to know more about the specifics of desk chairs. Therefore, you should pay attention to this next section to help you make your purchase.
What is an ergonomic desk chair?
How do you adjust an ergonomic chair?
- Depth: Adjust the seat in depth. It allows a gap between the edge of the seat and the back of the knees. This way, those areas will not feel compressed and blood circulation will improve.
- Height: You can adjust the height so that the soles of your feet are fully supported on the ground. In addition, your back should also be supported on the back of the chair.
- Reclining backrest: The backrest must be able to be adjusted and have different inclination points. The tension of the backrest must be adjusted to the weight of the person, the more they weigh the more tension they need.
- Lumbar support: It is necessary that the backrest has a lumbar support that serves to keep the spine aligned. This part should be able to adapt to the shape of your body.
- Synchro system: The chair’s synchro system allows the backrest to be tilted backwards. This way, it synchronizes with the movement made by the seat base. This will help your body to move synchronously with the chair.
- Front edge of the seat: The front edge of the seat should have a slight inclination. This serves so that the chair does not exert pressure on the legs. Thus, improving circulation in the area.
What materials are used to upholster desk chairs?
- Mesh. It is a very economical material and is also the most breathable. Of course, it has a disadvantage in that it is less durable than others.
- Fabric. It will last longer than mesh and is very comfortable. However, it tends to get dirtier and cleaning is more complicated than other options.
- Synthetic leather. Faux leather chairs are often found in offices. They are very elegant and cleaning is simple. Of course, its price is higher than the previous two options. In addition, in summer it can get hot as the material is not breathable.
- Leather. Basically the same as synthetic leather chairs. Their main difference is that they have a higher price.
How should you clean the desk chair?
If your desk chair is made of leather, try using a product that is specific for this type of material. If it is made of synthetic material, or of cloth, use a slightly damp cloth. If you want, you can use a little ammonia diluted in water. But in general, pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions in regards to cleaning.
Armrests or no armrests?
|Desk chairs with armrests||Desk chairs without armrests|
|Comfort||They are more comfortable.||They can be a bit awkward.|
|Design||They have a more ergonomic design and are better for relaxing.||They are less ergonomic and are not recommended for long and intense work.|
|Price||More expensive.||More economical.|
What are the advantages and disadvantages of desk chairs?
You are on the last section of this buying guide! You are almost ready to make your final decision. But it is important that before doing so you have a look at the criteria that we show you below. These are the main things to consider when choosing your desk chair. So do not overlook it, as you might choose the wrong type of desk chair for what you are looking for. You should consider:
It is good that your chair has the ability to swivel for several reasons. The first is that if you have to move to get something, your chair will move and not your spine. This way, you will avoid having certain health problems associated with spending a lot of time sitting. The second is that it encourages communication with your office colleagues, you just have to turn your chair to talk to them!
Type of Desk Chair
Depending on how you will use your desk chair, you must decide between one model or another. You will find endless options on the market, each of them for a specific circumstance. We want to simplify your choices into three groups. In most cases you will end up opting for one of them.
- Direction chairs. They are the most comfortable and look great. They usually are made with a higher quality material. They are designed for those who have a position of responsibility in the company, although they can be used by the rest of the employees. They are more expensive than other models.
- Operating chairs.They are the ones that employees usually use. There are many types and the choice will depend on how long the employee is sitting in front of his desk.
- Complementary chairs. They are the rest of chairs that are in the office. They are usually in the waiting rooms or in the offices, although sometimes employees also use them.
It is best that the chair is made of antistatic materials. These prevent static electricity from accumulating in the chairs. To avoid this, see if the chair you have chosen has an ESD marking, meaning its “electrostatic discharge.” It is important that you take this aspect into account, since you will prevent the chair from giving you small shocks.
The desk chair must be ergonomic, as it will adapt ideally to your body. The backrest, the seat and the height of the chair must be adjustable. It will also can have adjustable armrests and will adapt to your anatomy perfectly. Not only will it be comfortable, but it will be better for your health!
The design of the chair is also important. It must be appropriate for the office or area where you are going to use it and also for the position you occupy in the company, if it is for work. Do not forget that a piece of furniture can represent who sits on it. That is, a senior manager of a company must have a chair that is consistent with his position.
As you have seen, a desk chair is essential to working comfortably. It is also great when performing any other task that involves spending time sitting in front of a table. You have seen how important it is that it is an ergonomic chair, not only will you be comfortable, it will also be better for your health. It is also important to pay attention to the type of chair and upholstery fabric.
You should analyze the characteristics of the chair to be sure that it is the one that best suits your needs. For example, if you have armrests or not. You should also know how to clean the chair depending on its upholstery. You cannot ignore its design, especially if you are going to use it in an office. Try to also get one with antistatic materials.
Did you enjoy this shopping guide? Share it on your social media or leave us a comment below!
(Source of Featured Image: Eduard Bonnin Turina: 35477210/ 123rf.com)