How we pick our products
Ironing is one of the most detested domestic tasks, but one that we all endure because we love wearing clean and well-ironed clothes. There are actually studies showing that most people rank cooking as their favorite household chore, and ironing as their least favorite. What about you, do you hate spending time ironing your clothes?
The universal hatred of ironing has lead to the development of fabrics that wrinkle less, and also there are constantly new gadgets and appliances appearing on the market that significantly facilitate this extremely tedious task. Have you heard about clothes steamers? If you are interested in purchasing one of these handy appliances, continue reading to find out everything you need to know to make an informed choice.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Clothes Steamers on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Clothes Steamers
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- A clothes steamer will allow you to get professional results in your own home. These days there are also some very lightweight models available, that you can easily pack in your suitcase whenever you travel.
- There are some options that not only iron, but will also act to eliminate bacteria from clothing and infuse it with a fragrance of your choice.
- When purchasing a clothes steamer, you must take into account its power, the capacity of its tank and the overall weight – if portability is a priority for you.
Our Selection of the Best Clothes Steamers on the U.S. Market
There are so many different clothes steamers available on the market these days, and there is definitely something for everyone and for any budget. In this section we feature the four best clothes steamers on the market, in four different categories. All these products offer great value for money, are top sellers and have fantastic customer reviews. Simply find the option that best suits your needs and be sure you are getting a quality clothes steamer.
- Best Popular Clothes Steamer
- Best Clothes Steamer for Small Budgets
- Best Travel Clothes Steamer
- Best Overall Clothes Steamer
Best Popular Clothes Steamer
PurSteam are the leading manufacturer of domestic clothes steamers, and this is their most popular model. It has a 61 oz tank, that heats up in 45 to 60 seconds and provides 60 minutes of continuous steam. With a handheld steam board to for those pesky collars, pockets, sleeves, you’ll have wrinkle-free clothes in no time. No-questions asked thirty day money back guarantee, and world class customer service!
Best Clothes Steamer for Small Budgets
This is the best clothes steamer for people who don’t want to spend a lot of money. It is also small enough to take with you whenever you go away on vacation or for business trips. Provides a solid 700 watts of power, and provides 15 minutes of continuous steam. It has a nine foot power cord, and is super lightweight and very easy to use.
Best Travel Clothes Steamer
If you want a seriously powerful clothes steamer that is also compact enough to take with you when you travel, this is the option for you. It has a whopping 1200 watts of power, and heats up in only 15 seconds. It features Pump Steam Technology, which allows you to steam your clothes either while they are hanging vertically, or lying horizontally.
Best Overall Clothes Steamer
This professional-grade clothes steamer is set to become PurSteam’s signature model. It features a large-sized 85 fl oz water tank, that provides you with steam continuously for over 60 minutes. Produces excellent results and its premium-quality components make it suitable for any domestic or professional application. Take advantage of PurSteam’s no-questions asked thirty day money back guarantee, and world class customer service!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Clothes Steamers
While professional clothes steamers have been around for a long time, they have only become popular with consumers fairly recently, so you may not know much about them. In order to find the best clothes steamer to suit your needs, it’s a good idea to have a solid understanding of these appliances, their features and how they work.
What is a clothes steamer?
The soft steam produced by a clothes steamer prolongs the life of your garments, since they never come into contact with a heated element – which is something that is unavoidable when using a conventional iron. Instead of flattening the fibers of the fabric, a clothes steamer will loosen them. These handy appliances are also great for eliminating bacteria and mites, cleaning mattresses and upholstery, or even for removing persistent odors from different types of fabrics.
What are the advantages of a clothes steamer?
- Speed: Clothes steamers heat up in just a few seconds and allow you to iron several garments in just a few minutes, making them ideal for people who don’t have much time.
- Efficiency: The powerful burst of steam they emit is able to smooth even the most persistent wrinkles, and is suitable for use with both coarse and delicate fabrics without causing any damage. Of course, the more powerful a clothes steamer, the more efficient it will be to use.
- Ease of use: Another advantage of clothes steamers is that they are very easy to use. Just simply pass the steam over your clothes and the job is done. The days of burning or damaging delicate fabrics are over.
- Results: As we mentioned previously, the steam will not weigh down or flatten the fabric of your garments, but will actually loosen the fibers. This means you can get spectacular results with just one pass. The most powerful steam irons produce similar results to professional dry cleaning.
- Convenience: When using a clothes steamer, it is easier to keep a good posture, as you won’t need to be hunched over an ironing board for extended periods of time. Simply stand up, with your back straight, and pass the steam head over the garment. These appliances are so lightweight, that you will not even notice the weight of the device while you are using it.
- Portability: If you buy a travel clothes steamer, you can easily take it with you in your suitcase. You won’t have to wear wrinkled clothes on your next business trip, and you’ll look great whenever you’re on vacation.
What are the differences between a conventional iron, an ironing station and a clothes steamer?
|Clothes steamer||Conventional iron||Ironing station|
|With or without direct contact||Without contact||With contact.||With contact.|
|Effect||Loosens fabrics.||Can make fabric more rigid.||Can make fabric more rigid.|
|Elimination of odors||Eliminates odors.||Does not eliminate odors.||Can eliminate odors.|
|Price||Depends on the model, can be expensive.||Is usually the most economical option.||Are usually fairly expensive.|
|Most suitable for||They are most useful for ironing a small number of garments.||Useful for either a small or large number of garments.||Best for ironing a large number of garments.|
How is a clothes steamer used?
- Check carefully that there is no dirt in the steam tank, otherwise your clothes may become dirty or get stained.
- Fill the water tank with filtered water. There are clothes steamers that include a lime filter that permits the use of tap water, however we still strongly recommend that you always use filtered or distilled water, unless you are in a hurry.
- Next connect the clothes steamer to a power outlet.
- Use the dials or controls to adjust the steam’s temperature and flow, and wait for the device to reach the correct operating temperature.
- Pass the steam head over the surface of the garment, avoid directly making contact, until the wrinkles have disappeared.
- When you have finished, remove any remaining water from the tank. Store the clothes steamer in an upright position, away from moisture and dust.
What types of clothes steamers are currently available on the market?
|Professional clothes steamers||Mid-range clothes steamers||Portable clothes steamers|
|Suitable for||Very frequent use.||Daily use.||Taking on vacation, or for smaller domestic tasks.|
|Portability||Not portable.||Not portable.||Portable.|
|Price||Over $100.||Between $50-100.||Under $50.|
There are several factors that you should consider before going ahead and buying a clothes steamer. Think about how and where you intend to use it – will it be at home, at work or when traveling? You should also think about the results you expect to obtain. These are most important criteria to keep in mind, when making your purchase:
Power is one of the most important factors to consider when buying any type of electric appliance, and clothes steamers are no exception. The quantity of steam per minute that the steamer is capable of creating will depend on the power rating. It will also affect the performance, in terms of speed, and how efficiently it will get rid of wrinkles from your clothes.
If you are thinking of purchasing a clothes steamer that is non-portable, we recommend that you go for a model that is rated at a minimum of 1500 watts. Even if you are buying a portable or travel clothes steamer, don’t settle for less than 700-800 watts. If you are trying to decide between two similar steamers, always go for the more powerful option, since it will give you more professional results.
The water tank is another key feature of these appliances. The greater the capacity of the tank of the clothes steamer, the more water it can hold, meaning that you can work for a longer period of time without having to stop to refill it with water. A half gallon water tank will allow you to use your steamer for about 60 minutes, which is perfect if you have many items to iron.
If you are looking for a travel model, you will not be able to get one with a very large capacity, as they have much smaller tanks. However, they compensate for this by being very compact and portable. Opting for one type or another really does just depend on your own personal requirements, so you need to think about how you intend to use it.
The main difference in design is between domestic and portable models. If you want to buy a domestic clothes steamer, it is still advisable to find one that is not too large, so that it is easier to store a closet. It is also important to think about how comfortable the handle and steam head are to use.
If you are looking for a travel model, the most important thing is to make sure it is not overly bulky and easily to fit in your carry-on luggage. However, you need to find the balance between being compact, while still being comfortable to use, and having enough power to produce great results.
This factor is not so important for clothes steamers for domestic use, but you should still not completely overlook it either. You want an appliance that is light enough that you can easily set it up anywhere in your home that you decide to use it. Keep in mind not only the size and weight of the steamer, but also if it has wheels.
Weight is one of the most important factors for travel models, since it will need to fit in your checked luggage and not make you exceed the maximum weight allowed for airplanes. Portable clothes steamers should not weigh more than 1.5 pounds, so we would suggest avoiding any that are heavier than this.
Accessories and Extra Functions
The more high-end clothes steamers include accessories that have special functions, such as nail polish remover or extra nozzles designed for specific types of fabrics. They can also have functions for disinfecting fabrics, or even for infusing them with an aroma of your choice.
Portable clothes steamers have a much more simple design and usually no more than two nozzles. This is fine for traveling, but if you need one for frequent use, we advise choosing a more advanced model that offers more functions.
Now that you have finished reading our guide, you have all the information you need to find the clothes steamer that is best for you. There are so many different options currently available on the market, with each of these offering different benefits. Some of the best domestic models offer professional results, while the most compact travel steamers are so small you can carry them in your luggage whenever you travel.
If you hate ironing, like the rest of us, a clothes steamer is definitely a great appliance to have around the home. For anyone who still wants to look their best, when traveling away from home for a few days for business or leisure, a portable model is the perfect travel appliance.
We hope you have found our shopping guide useful. If you enjoyed reading this article, please leave a comment below and be sure to share it with your friends and family!
(Source of Featured Image: Marharyta Kovtun: 90270128/ 123rf.com)