How we pick our products
Yes, you heard us: child leashes. It may sound strange to some, but the truth is that lots of people in the US and other countries use this type of safety strap for their little ones. In fact, thanks to them, many accidents are avoided.
When children start walking, all they want to do is to discover the world around them. We can all relate to having to chase our children around trying to catch them. And the fear that it entails, since we don’t want anything to happen to them. With these straps, we can make sure that our little ones are always under control.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Child Leashes on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Child Leashes
- 3.1 What is a child leash and what advantages does its use have?
- 3.2 What types of child leashes are out there?
- 3.3 How do I know if my child could use a children’s leash?
- 3.4 What should I keep in mind before using a child leash?
- 3.5 What ages are recommended to use the child leash?
- 3.6 Is a child leash the same as a harness for learning to walk?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- It is a shame that children who learn to walk have to be aware of the dangers around them. However, we do know these risks and we get more than a scare when our child decides to run off in the street.
- Child leashes are a very practical safety accessory that allows us to control our little roadrunners, while giving them the freedom they need to investigate and know the world.
- When choosing a child leash that best suits our needs, it is important that we take into account factors such as safety, size, material or quality. This way, we will know that the purchase is a good one.
Our Selection of the Best Child Leashes on the U.S. Market
It is normal to have doubts when choosing a child leash that suits us best. To help with this important decision, we have selected the three best harnesses that we can find in the market today. There is one for every taste!
Best Child Leash With Wrist Strap
This is a great option to avoid having to use an “leash” looking product, but still ensure that your child will stay close to you. This product by Blisstime is easy to use, all you need to do is connect the wristbands to adults and kids’ hands respectively. The shrinking chain can extend up to 1.5 meters and the wrist strap circumference of kids hand side (the smaller side) can be adjusted up to 14 CM. This is comfortable for your child as well as for you. This is also Amazon’s choice in this category, so you know you are getting a good quality product!
Cutest Child Leash
Hooking your child to a leash may not be the most pleasant for them, so why not use a leash with fun and cute designs? This product by Goldbug is a crowd pleaser for parents and toddlers, and comes in several different adorable animal characters. This is a great way to keep kids safe in public places, while functioning both as a harness and backpack. The long, 3-foot tail allows your child to move around while still under parents’ control, while the buckles allow for easy on-off access.
Best Child Leash With a Backpack
No products found.
With a zippered main compartment, front mesh pocket and two side pockets, this backpack by Brica is perfect for toys, clothes, trinkets or snacks. There is even a handy spot for a sippy cup! This is a great multi-functional child leash that your kid will enjoy. Your child will feel independent as they are able to carry around their own toys, while still being under parents’ control. This product also has lots of great reviews from happy customers!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Child Leashes
What is a child leash and what advantages does its use have?
As we can see, the disadvantages depend only on the use we give to the child leash. And the advantages significantly reduce the danger risks of children and increase peace of mind for parents. Therefore, if the instructions are followed correctly, it is a safety accessory that we can take advantage of.
What types of child leashes are out there?
- Traditional child leashes: They consist of a harness from which a belt comes out. It is the simplest and also the most discreet model.
- Child leash with a backpack: As much has been discussed about the aesthetics of carrying our children on a leash, these new models incorporate a backpack (usually with fun shapes) from which the leash comes out. In this way, it does not give so much the feeling of a leash, but it is the backpack that catches attention.
- Child leash with wrist strap: The latter type consists of two velcro bracelets joined by an elastic strap. One of the bracelets is for the child and the other for the adult, so they go together.
The preference for one type or another depends solely and exclusively on our tastes and needs. While wrist straps offer less “freedom,” since they tend to be shorter, backpacks offer a fun design that children will like. Although, on the other hand, if you are not going to use it too frequently, the traditional one is ideal.
How do I know if my child could use a children’s leash?
To decide if you need to use a children’s leash, you should consider two things. It may be a good idea if your child is very active but is still too small to understand the dangers around him. It is also useful if the child is not calm when you go out.
What should I keep in mind before using a child leash?
- First of all, explain to the child what the leash is and what we are going to use it for. It is essential that they understand it.
- Once they have understood the reasons why it is necessary, it will be easy for you to use it by mutual agreement.
- You should never lose sight of the objective of the leash: safety. You should never use it as punishment or for any other purpose.
- You should not guide the child with the leash as if they were a dog. Remember that there is nothing better than communicating so that your child and you understand each other, however small they may be.
- It is important that, despite being tied, the child has freedom to move around. For this, it is best to respect them (you may stop to look at something if they ask you, for example).
- It is important to be aware that the belt provides security, but it does not mean that we shouldn’t always be aware.
If you consider all these conditions, you will get the most out of the child leash. You can ask the employees of the store or even the pediatrician if you start to have doubts. It is always better to inform yourself rather than to misuse the products.
What ages are recommended to use the child leash?
Although every child is different, the average age to use a child leash is between twelve and thirty-six months. From that moment on, your child will be able to understand certain dangers that exist if he does not stay close to his parents, and the leash will no longer be needed.
Is a child leash the same as a harness for learning to walk?
The fundamental difference is that the leash cannot be used if the child does not know how to walk autonomously. The harness, meanwhile, is an aid that provides security and puts the baby in the right position to learn to walk. It could be said, therefore, that we first use the harness and then the strap.
When we choose any product, and especially if it is one for our children, we must take into account certain aspects that will guarantee that we are choosing the one that best suits our needs. Next, we talk about the main criteria for buying a child leash:
The child leash should fit the size of your child. Therefore, this is the first aspect that you should consider. There are different sizes and lengths depending on the distance you want to leave between you and the child. Regarding the latter, you should not overdo it, as it can be uncomfortable for other people.
You can find straps with adjustable sizes, which are great and last longer. Children grow by leaps and bounds and, in a year, you will surely have to change sizes several times. It is important that the harness has the appropriate dimensions so that it is not annoying for the child.
Although the strap will not be in direct contact with your child’s skin, the material is still important. Not only for your child’s health, but also for comfort. As a general rule, child leashes are made of resistant fabric and materials.
In addition, it is preferable that we choose a belt that can be washed in the washing machine without deteriorating. We must bear in mind that the leash will accompany you on your outings and that it will get stained. Therefore, the easier it is to clean, the better. It is ideal is to find the balance between resistance and comfort.
Durability, meanwhile, is closely related to the two aspects mentioned above. On the one hand, it does make sense to have to buy more than one child leash in the short time that you will be using it. Therefore, if you choose one that can adjust as the child grows, the better.
On the other hand, the higher the quality of the material, the more resistant it will be against falls, bumps, stains and, after all, the normal activity of a child. Parents buy lots of things for their children, so it is great when they can last as long as possible.
As we mentioned in one of the questions in the shopping guide, it is recommended to present the child with the leash as another toy. It is best to pay attention to the design so that it suits the tastes of your child. This way, it will be more enjoyable for the child.
And within the design criteria, we can also talk about the different types of straps that exist. Before we talked about the child’s tastes, but now you should consider your preference as a parent. You should choose the most comfortable strap model to use. Again, the key is balance.
Last but not least, we have security. Like any other item that is going to be used by a child, the strap must be approved and comply with the requirements established by the regulations for children’s products. But how can we know that the strap follows all these regulations?
It’s easy. The first thing we should do is look up the brand on Amazon. This is how you can know for sure that you are investing in a quality product. You should also look for any safety certification and product awards.
More and more people are using child leashes. And it is not by chance or a fashion statement. It is one of the most useful and safe childcare products that provides more peace of mind to parents. Therefore, and although some may not agree, these products are very useful.
Thanks to the straps we can forget about having to run after our child in public places and horrible feeling we get every time we lose sight of them. In addition, they are very useful for teaching children the importance of not separating from adults and the dangers that are around them. So, do you think it is time to give them a try?
If you liked our guide on the leash for children, share it on social networks and leave us a comment. We want to know what you think!
(Source of Featured Image: Olesia Bilkei: 88756358/ unsplash.com)