How we pick our products
Although most cats are strict carnivores, some enjoy playing with flowers and other herbs; some even like eating asparagus and lettuce. Catnip and cat grass are two of the plant-based products that cats really go crazy over; it tastes great to them, and it also has many benefits for your cat’s health. We have created a shopping guide for you to pick the best catnip or cat grass for your feline friend.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Catnip on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Catnip
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Catnip and cat grass are two terms that are usually used interchangeably but are not the same. Catnip is used more for recreational purposes while cat grass is usually meant to help your pet’s digestive system.
- Catnip will put your pet in a state of euphoria. In many cases, a cat will become more active when it consumes catnip, which is great, especially for lazy cats.
- When purchasing your catnip, you should always pay attention to what the product is made of, which we will go over later in shopping criteria. Most brands use 100% natural ingredients, but you should always double-check the product description.
Our Selection: The Best Catnip on the U.S. Market
Choosing the best catnip for your pet can be a difficult task, so we have made a list of the best catnip on the U.S. market to help you with your purchase.
Best Basic Catnip
The first item on our list is a basic catnip, with a pretty funny name. Customers love this catnip. It has no preservatives and is 100% natural. You can safely put it anywhere, sit back, and watch your cat have fun. This brand brags that its product has a special blend that lasts longer and is stronger than others of its kind.
Best Cat Grass Kit
The second item on our list is an Amazon’s choice; it is very popular on the market. This kit helps you grow your own cat grass in your house. It is very affordable and small, so you can put it anywhere in your home. This company assures that you will be satisfied or your money back. You can’t go wrong with this product.
Best Cat Grass Planter
The third item on our list is also an Amazon’s choice; you are sure to be satisfied. This is just a cat grass planter but don’t worry; it comes with the option to order the seeds for free along with the purchase of the planter. It is everything you need to set up cat grass for your feline friend in your home.
Best Catnip Spray
The fourth item on our list is a catnip spray. It is a great way to make your cat interested in its cat toys again. Just spray it on them, and your cat will feel the effects of the catnip. The bottle is very small and portable.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Catnip
What is catnip and cat grass exactly, and how can I use these plants with my cat?
On the other hand, cat grass usually refers to a type of plant that you buy as seeds and then plant. Cat grass is usually used to help your pet’s digestive system as it boosts the cat’s gastrointestinal health and helps get rid of hairballs.
What types of catnip and cat grass are there?
Cat grass, on the other hand, is made up of a combination of different plants. These plants are meant to help improve your cat’s health and generally are not used for recreational purposes. Using this product is a great way to help your cat with its digestive system. Although there are many different plants that you can find in cat grass, the following are the three most common:
- Umbrella papyrus (Cyperus alternifolius): This plant is completely safe and can be ingested by your cat with no problem. In fact, many cats love this plant. The only downside to the umbrella papyrus is that its leaves are a bit sharp.
- Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum): This plant has a vomit-inducing property. We know this might sound off-putting, but it is a great option if you are looking for cat grass that helps your cat get rid of its hairballs. The only downside to this plant is that it absorbs harmful substances from the air.
- Wheat, barley, and other grains: Plants like wheat and barley culture very quickly and are quite inexpensive to purchase.
What are the properties of catnip?
After the euphoric effects of the catnip subside, your pet will be normal again. Although the effect only lasts about ten minutes, your cat may continue to show playful behavior. Catnip works thanks to nepetalactone, the active ingredient in catnip or catmint that stimulates the sensory neurons and activates the central nervous system of your pet. It is a good idea to give your pet a cat scratcher while it is under the effects of catnip.
As we have mentioned before, cat grass does not produce these euphoric sensations. The main purpose of this product is to improve your cat’s health. You should keep these two different properties in mind when deciding whether you want to buy catnip or cat grass for your beloved pet. We have provided you with the table below to help you with your decision:
|If you want||you should get:|
|to make your cat more playful.||Catnip.|
|your cat to concentrate more on its toys.||Catnip.|
|remove my cat’s hairballs and improve its digestive system.||Cat grass.|
|Help your cat digest its food and improve its gastrointestinal health.||Cat grass.|
How do I grow cat grass?
- Try to use natural soil that is not industrially treated.
- Soak the seeds in water for 1-2 hours.
- Get a pot or use the kit that comes with your cat grass to put the seeds in.
- Plant the seeds. To get the best results, plant the seeds only 3/4″ deep.
- Put the pot in a sunny spot in your house.
- Water the seeds evenly. Do not overwater them.
Is catnip effective with all cats?
What are the pros and cons of cat grass or catnip?
We have come to the moment where you will decide which catnip or cat grass to buy for your feline friend. Now that you know a lot about these interesting plants, you might even feel even more lost, but do not worry! We have provided the following shopping criteria to help you with your purchase.
If you want to make your cat more playful and make it play with its toys, you should get catnip. However, if you want to improve your cat’s health and digestive system you should get cat grass.
Packs or Individual
You should be careful the first time you buy catnip because not all cats react the same. Your feline friend may not react to the plant or may not show any interest in it. That is why it might be a good idea to buy an individual pack at first. If you are confident that your cat will like the catnip or you have used it before on your cat, you might want to buy the catnip or cat grass in packs.
One of the biggest pros that come with shopping on Amazon is that you can compare the different products you are considering based on the reviews that other purchasers like you have left on the page. This will help you choose the best catnip or cat grass for you. Also, keep in mind that every cat and cat owner is different.
If you want the best for your cat, you need to look for natural and ecological products. If you are going to buy a catnip spray, read the ingredients and make sure that it does not contain any chemicals that can be harmful to your cat. Remember, cats are much more sensitive than human beings.
Cats are very sensitive and elegant animals. If you have one as a pet, you need to take care of it the best you can mentally and physically. Purchasing catnip will make your pet happy and playful, and cat grass will keep it healthy.
In this article, we have gone over the benefits, properties, and different types of catnip and cat grass. We hope that we have provided you with the correct information to make the best purchase for you and your feline friend.
If you liked this article, leave us a comment and share it with your friends on social media! Thank you so much.
(Source of Featured Image: Юлия Завалишина: 118792204/ 123rf.com)