How we pick our products
It seems that every day different pet brands are coming out with new items for cat owners to make life a little bit easier for these furry friends. Although cat doors are not usually the first thing that people think of when buying pet supplies, for cat lovers, they are a must, especially if your cat likes to spend time inside and outside.
If you own a cat and want to let it roam free, this is the perfect item for you. This door will allow your cat to come inside. No more continuously opening and closing your door every time your cat meows at you. Although this item is not very popular, it is extremely useful and there are many choices currently on the U.S. market. Keep reading; we made this shopping guide and review to help you with your purchase.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Cat Doors on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Cat Doors
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- If you are planning on installing this item in a glass door, you should choose a transparent, plastic model. Read the product description to make sure the item you are purchasing is meant for this type of door. You do not want to waste your money.
- Remember that you should install the cat door only 4 to 6 inches off the ground. Keep in mind how big your cat is and how much room it may need to step in and out of the door. You do not want to put the door too high, or your pet may end up not using it.
- There are many shopping criteria that you should consider when purchasing these items. You need to ask yourself if you want a manual or an electronic cat door. This all depends on what makes you feel more comfortable as well as your budget.
Our Selection: The Best Cat Doors on the U.S. Market
Cat doors are not simply a hole in your wall that lets your cat in and out of your home. There are many different options on the market and each one has different characteristics. If you feel a bit lost, please, don’t worry. We have provided you a list of our favorite cat doors currently available in the U.S. to help you with your purchase. Each item comes with a link where you can buy it directly on Amazon. Take a look:
Best Simple Cat Door
If you consider yourself a minimalist and are looking for a simple cat door for your home, this is the item for you. This model is as simple as it gets. You can lock and unlock the door. This item is also great for people on the budget.
Cutest Cat Door
This cat door is the cutest on our list. It is in the shape of a cat’s head. This is a good option if you are looking for a door to brighten up your home.
Best Cat Door with Brush
The third item on our list is unique as it includes a removable brush. This door will allow your cat to groom itself as it goes in and out. This is a great option for any restless cat. It will have so much fun with this product.
Best Automatic Cat Door
The last item on our list is electronic and will only open when your cat is near it. This is an excellent option if you are worried about other animals getting into your home.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know about Cat Doors
Let’s face it, most cats love to explore. Being cooped up in a house all day is never good for them. Cats, unlike dogs, very rarely run away, so many owners feel comfortable letting them roam free. Now that we have provided you with our favorite cat doors on the U.S. market, you might have chosen your favorite. However, each one is different and you may feel even more lost. Don’t worry; in the following section, we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions from buyers like you. Keep reading to clear any doubts that you may have.
How does a cat door work exactly?
- Put the cat door 4 to 6 inches off the ground. Make sure to keep in mind how big your cat is. It may seem obvious, but putting your cat door at the correct level is key. If the door is too high or too low, your cat may not want to use it.
- Make an opening. This step depends on if you are installing the cat door in a wall, door, or window. It will also depend greatly on the material you are cutting through. Make sure to read the instructions of the product for more information.
- Install the cat door. Once you have done this, make sure that it opens and closes easily without making any strange noises. You need to make sure to install the door correctly and according to the instructions or your cat may not use it.
- Fasten the door into the material. If you are working on wood, you will have to use the screws that come with the product or, if they are not included, you will need to buy some. If you are installing the cat door in a different material like glass, this process will be different.
- Introduce the door to your pet. At this point, make sure that everything is installed correctly and working well. Now, you will have to show your cat how to use the door. If your cat does not use it immediately, do not worry; this is normal. You can always get the cat comfortable with the door using treats, toys, or cat food. Show your cat how it opens in closes; they are extremely intelligent animals.
What are the pros and cons of using a cat door?
How does an automatic or electronic cat door work?
Do manual cat doors have different settings?
How important are the design and the materials of my cat door?
Living with a cat at home can be complicated. Cats are not meant to be cooped up in the house all day. They definitely will want to go outside and explore. These animals need adventure, sun, and fresh air. It might want to climb a tree or chase an animal. The possibilities are endless.
If you have reached this part of the article, you are probably still considering purchasing a cat door. Congratulations. However, after so much information, you may feel even more lost. Don’t worry. We have created a list of shopping criteria that you should keep in mind when making your purchase. They will help make your choice much easier.
You need to consider two important things at the very beginning: the size of your cat and the size of the cat door. If you have other animals that may want to use the door, get one that is big enough. You may even want to get a dog door. If your cat is still young and will grow to be much bigger, get a door that is bigger than its current size.
Although most cat doors are very easy to install, you will want to read the product description before making your purchase. Make sure that you can install it on your own. Also, make sure that you get a cat door that is compatible with the type of material that you will install it in.
A simple cat door will only allow your pet to leave and enter the house, but even the most inexpensive models on Amazon may have extra functions. Some are designed to not let air in when it is cold outside and other open and close automatically. Some models can even be locked and unlocked whenever you wish.
This may seem pretty obvious, but it is a very important factor. To make sure the door is safe to use and will last for a long time, you want to get one that is made out of sturdy material. Keep in mind the weather in your town as well.
Manual or Electronic
If there are many stray dogs where you live or you don’t want other animals getting into your house, you may want to purchase an electronic cat door. This way, the door will only open and close for your cat. If you are looking for a simpler, more inexpensive item, you should get a manual cat door. Keep in mind that if you buy one that is electronic, you will have to replace the batteries.
Cats are still not as domestic as dogs. They are very restless animals and need to get out and explore their surroundings. Although they don’t usually go so far, they like to be in charge of their territory.
Congratulations. You have finished the article. We are confident that we have provided you with the correct information to make the best purchase possible. So, what are you waiting for?
We hope that you have enjoyed our article about cat doors. If you liked this shopping guide and review, don’t forget to share it with your friends on social media. Have you tried using this item? Tell us about your experience; we want to hear from you. Thank you so much.
(Featured Image Source: Astrid Gast: 23815268/ 123rf.com)