How we pick our products
Being outside, especially in a country with weather as unpredictable as here, requires certain specialty apparel. One of the most essential pieces of clothing to own is a windbreaker. Knowing how to choose the right one, however, can be complicated, as not all of them provide adequate protection from the elements.
You need to know how to go about selecting an appropriate one if you want to be able to go outside when its windy and rainy while staying dry and warm. This is why we have put together the below guide to understanding and buying windbreakers. After reading through it you will have all the information you need to make a confident decision.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The best windbreakers: Our Picks
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about windbreakers
- 3.1 What is a windbreaker exactly?
- 3.2 How do windbreakers actually work?
- 3.3 What are the main features of windbreakers?
- 3.4 What isn’t a windbreaker?
- 3.5 Why should I choose a windbreaker with flexible fabrics and seams?
- 3.6 Why should I opt for a waterproof windbreaker?
- 3.7 What types of windbreakers are available out there?
- 3.8 Why buy a windbreaker?
- 3.9 What are the main advantages and disadvantages of windbreakers?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Windbreakers are outdoor gear made to stand up to any weather conditions. Jackets that don’t actually protect against wind and water aren’t worth your time.
- You might need to keep it on for many hours at a time, which is why you want something that is going to maximize your comfort.
- A windbreaker’s material is of the utmost importance. If you quality, wind and rain-proof material if you are going to get a lot of use out of your purchase.
The best windbreakers: Our Picks
In the following section, we’ll introduce you to the very best windbreakers available right now on the market. Along with each option we have included the specific product details of each to ensure you have all the information you need to get something great.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about windbreakers
There are several important features of windbreakers to keep in mind before buying one. Throughout the below section we have laid out the most important of these and gone into detail, so you can be confident you’re making an informed decision. We have also addressed some of the most common consumer queries and questions surrounding these products.
What is a windbreaker exactly?
It is an ideal jacket if you are someone who likes things like hiking, climbing, mountain biking, or just taking walks all year round. Many are light enough to be great pieces of clothing for runners and joggers too.
How do windbreakers actually work?
Most good windbreakers do two main things. The first thing they do is protect you from the rain and col. The second thing they do is, via a specialized inner layer, help get rid of perspiration and humidity so you are always at a comfortable temperature while wearing one.
What are the main features of windbreakers?
- Light weight: A good windbreaker should be lightweight and hardly noticeable. They are made to be more comfortable and flexible than traditional, bulkier rain coats.
- Comfort: A windbreaker should be easy to take on and off, as well as carry. Many are made to fold up and be stuffed into a kangaroo pocket or side pocket so that they become almost pocket-size when not in use.
- Great variety: Windbreakers are customisable based on the day. Some have detachable hoods and sleeves that can be removed when the weather conditions change.
- Diversity of use: Windbreakers are suited for a wide range of conditions and purposes. Many look great even when it is not windy or rainy out. They are easy to throw on if you are just going for a quick walk to the store, or if you’re going for an all-day hike.
What isn’t a windbreaker?
They are also not coats. Some have added lining to keep you warm, but most are not made to stand up to the harsh cold in the way that larger coats are.
Why should I choose a windbreaker with flexible fabrics and seams?
A waterproof windbreaker is a necessity if you are going to be doing any outdoor activity far from civilization. They can be a real lifesaver when you’re kilometres from the closest shelter and it starts to really come down. They can also keep you warm during milder winter weather to help ward off hypothermia.
Why should I opt for a waterproof windbreaker?
What types of windbreakers are available out there?
Let’s now have a look at the two main types of windbreakers based on running – the sport that most people use them for:
- Windbreakers for running: As is evident from the name, these are tailor-made for running. They are also suitable for other sports like soccer and basketball, where you will definitely need flexible clothing. They are great for sessions of two hours or less, and are a must have if you are training outdoors in the rain.
- Windbreakers for trail running: Trail running is running or jogging on any uneven terrain in parks, on mountains, or even in urban areas. Hiking and trekking both require a good quality windbreaker.
Why buy a windbreaker?
- They improve training performance: If you are serious about training, the ideal training conditions are those in which there are few to no extreme temperature changes. These garments are lightweight enough that they won’t restrict your movements, while still protecting you from things like hypothermia and keeping your muscles warm and comfortable.
- They are durable: A good windbreaker is tough and, provided you look after it well, it should last many years.
- They can be used as informal clothing: Modern windbreakers don’t just do their job well, they also look great and can be worn casually.
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of windbreakers?
There are several key features of a windbreaker to keep in mind when buying one. In the below section, we will delve into the most important of these criteria you need to have in mind when buying anything. This will ensure you are getting the right jacket for you, that meets your needs and goals.
Quality is probably the most important aspect if you want your windbreaker to be both functional and durable. You could skimp on quality and save a few dollars, but you might regret it when you need your windbreaker to come through for you most. You might end up spending more as you will likely have to replace a poor quality one much sooner.
Most good windbreakers are 100 per cent polyester. The also tend to be fortified with polyamide to augment tear resistance. Having a robust, and resistant windbreaker is key. Many models also feature things like elastance and other fabrics that make them better fitting.
These style of windbreaker are ideally suited to those who prefer comfort to anything else. There are also other materials that are highly similar to polyester, such as nylon, that also give you great, lightweight flexibility.
Another key aspect of your new windbreaker is its style. Windbreakers are typically designed in two different styles: there are tighter-fitting options that form to your body and won’t be lifted by the wind, and which tend to shelter you a bit better. Others are more flowy and can be put on over a backpack. Make sure to get something that is best for what you are doing outdoors.
You should also make sure the windbreaker you are getting has at least one pocket, as well as a hood (detachable or otherwise). There are many windbreakers that are made to be packed up into one of the pockets, making it small and easy to take with you on the go.
Whether you opt for a tight-fitting or a wide cut windbreaker, dozens of finishing details ultimately differentiate the quality of one model from another. Additional interesting features include things like elastic and Velcro cuff and wasit adjusting, removable hoods, and adjustable hood visors to better protect your face against rain, and kangaroo pockets.
Only you really know if you need a windbreaker to do what you want to do outside, but most experts maintain that it is an essential piece of clothing for anyone serious about physical activities outside in the wind and rain. Having one will certainly expand the possibilities for exercise and sports all year round, and make your exercise routine less weather dependent.
A windbreaker is a must-have article of clothing if you’re someone who doesn’t want to be held back by the country’s sometimes harsh, often unpredictable weather. Athletes that can’t live without getting out and practicing their favourite sports will love the insurance against wind and rain, and people who just don’t want to get wet or cold outside will find them useful too.
There really is no outdoor garment better suited to outdoors than the windbreaker. While it is not going to protect you from the worst torrential downpours, and you certainly don’t want to rely on just this style of jacket if you plan on going out in frigid below-zero temperatures, they are great for pretty much anything else.
(Source of featured image: maridav: 35379723/ 123rf.com)