How we pick our products
You are most welcome! Do you want to listen to your favourite music even away from home, be it at poolside parties or on the beach? There is an excellent solution! How about buying a waterproof speaker?
Many brands already manufacture waterproof speakers and there are many quality models on the market. In this article, you learn the advantages and disadvantages of this accessory and learn how to find the model that suits you best!
- 1 Summary
- 2 The Best Waterproof Speaker: Our Picks
- 3 Buying guide: What you need to know about waterproof speakers
- 4 Buying criteria: Factors when choosing a waterproof speaker
- 5 Summary
- Even if you don’t take your speaker outdoors very often, liquid resistance is a good thing as it gives your accessory more durability.
- The range of waterproof speakers is huge: they can range from the classic two-piece format used in conjunction with computers, to large and capable.
- Check that the liquid resistance of your chosen model is compatible with your intended use of the speaker.
The Best Waterproof Speaker: Our Picks
Buying guide: What you need to know about waterproof speakers
How does a waterproof speaker work?
To avoid the risk of accidents that could potentially be serious, waterproof speakers are always wireless. They work via Bluetooth, which means you need to have a compatible device.
Simply place the waterproof speaker where you want it, such as outside in the rain, near a swimming pool or even in the bathroom, pair it with the device that will play the desired sounds and the fun begins!
What are the degrees of water resistance of speakers?
To understand how water resistant a speaker is, you need to pay attention to a code called IP (Ingress Protection Making). It always consists of the letters IP and two digits and must be in the technical specifications of the product.
The first digit of the IP code indicates, from 0 to 9, how dust resistant the product is, and the second, also from 0 to 9, how water resistant it is.
An IP55 code on a speaker, for example, means it is level 5 dust resistant and level 5 water resistant.
But how much resistance does each of these numbers indicate? Take a look at a chart:
|Resistance index||Resistant to|
|2||Water drops more frequently|
|6||Stronger water jets|
|7||Immersion up to one metre|
|9||Powerful water jets|
In which situations can waterproof sound boxes be useful?
- Hiking, trekking and meeting up with friends: Whenever there’s a group adventure outdoors, a waterproof speaker can come in handy! Protection levels between 2 and 5 are already sufficient.
- Outdoor parties: Parties in open areas need loud speakers that are powerful and, if there are no covered spots, protected against rain. Think about protection ratings between 3 and 6.
- Use near swimming pools or hot tubs: Of course, you don’t want your speaker to fall into a pool or other area with large amounts of water, but level 8 protection helps if an accident happens.
- Bathrooms: Lots of people like to liven up bathrooms, especially the shower area. You may get splashes, but lower protection, down to level 5, will do the trick.
- Planned use in water: Anyone who wants to dive into the sea, a river or even a swimming pool with a speaker needs maximum protection! With a model that has water resistance index number 9, all horizons of aquatic fun are possible.
What are the advantages of a waterproof speaker?
It makes it possible to use it in bathrooms, near swimming pools and outdoors without worrying about possible contact with water.
The durability of a waterproof speaker is far superior to simple models, as it has special coatings and is more robustly constructed.
You may pay a little more for a waterproof speaker, but it’s definitely worth the extra money! Below, with advantages and disadvantages of the accessory:
Buying criteria: Factors when choosing a waterproof speaker
Has our buying guide convinced you to buy a waterproof speaker? Then stay tuned for the technical criteria that help you choose the best model!
As waterproof speakers work via bluetooth, they require battery power. The further away from the mains the intended use, the more necessary a great autonomy is.
If you intend to leave the speaker installed in a fixed place, such as a bathroom or barbecue area, you don’t need a model with the ability to hold a charge for many hours. But if you are going to take it on outings and adventures, you need an autonomy of at least eight or ten hours.
Type of box
Waterproof speakers can be simple, in the two-piece style that has always made computers successful, they can be larger and portable, they can even be boombox style.
There are many differences in the main functions of each of these speakers: They can range from just being used in your bathroom or for a small family gathering by the pool, to livening up a large party.
Another variation in the type of speaker has to do with the sound produced: there are models specialising in bass, others in treble, there are mono models, others in stereo and even some suitable for surround. You can base your choice on multiple categories and needs!
Size, weight and transport
Do you need a speaker that is fixed in one place or one that is ideal for transporting to different adventures?
In the case of the first option, the relevant question is the size: Does it fit in the space provided? Will it not be out of place in the room?
If you want to transport it to different places, you need to make sure its size and weight don’t make it impossible to move around and if, when carried by people, there are handles or grips that make it easy to move around.
There is not only one type of Bluetooth. The technology is in constant evolution and, for this reason, the boxes launched in different times have different versions.
See which bluetooth versions your devices are compatible with and choose a speaker that uses one of them.
The most modern bluetooth technology is 4.1. This is where you get the best sound quality.
A waterproof stereo amplifies your possibilities for fun. You can leave it in the bathroom, place it beside the pool and even take it on your adventures without fear of the rain or a fall into a river or sea.
Many criteria will help you choose the best waterproof speaker, especially the level of resistance to contact with liquids, battery life, size, weight and ease of movement.
Image Source: Pineapple Supply Co. / Pexels.com