How we pick our products
We all appreciate a continuous fresh water supply. Water containers are used for this purpose. The range of water containers is versatile. This guidebook refers specifically to drinking water containers that are used by their users, especially during outdoor activities.
With our water container test 2022 we want to provide you with relevant information on the topic of water containers and help you find the most suitable water container for your needs.
We have compared fixed and foldable water containers and listed the respective advantages and disadvantages. This should make your purchase decision easier.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The Best Water Container: Our Picks
- 3 Buying and evaluation criteria for water containers
- 4 Decision: What types of water containers are there and which is the right one for me?
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about water containers answered in detail
- 5.1 What do I need a water container for and in what size?
- 5.2 How much does a water container cost?
- 5.3 How do I clean a water container?
- 5.4 What is the shelf life of water in a water container?
- 5.5 What liquids can I store in a plastic water container?
- 5.6 How can I repair a leaking plastic water container?
- 5.7 What are the alternatives to a water tank?
- 5.8 What should I look for when buying a water container?
- Water containers are used to store and transport water or other beverages. They are usually used during outdoor activities, be it during trekking tours or camping holidays.
- Basically, a distinction is made between fixed and foldable water containers. Both versions are available in different sizes.
- An alternative product to conventional water containers is the waterproof pack sack, the so-called dry bag. In this guide we suggest a different use of Dry Bags than the usual use.
The Best Water Container: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for water containers
In the following, we will show you which aspects you can use to decide between the possible water containers. The criteria you can use to compare the water containers include:
In the following paragraphs we explain the importance of the individual criteria.
One of the most important factors when buying a water container is its capacity. There are water canisters with different capacities on the market. Depending on the intended use, you will need a larger or smaller container.
Due to their weight, they can still be carried by a single person and they also take up relatively little space. If you need to store larger quantities of water, there are also water containers of 20 to 50 litres that are mainly placed in a fixed location, e.g. mobile home.
Both fixed and foldable water containers are usually made of lightweight plastic. The preferred materials are polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP).
It is essential that the canisters are suitable for storing water or other beverages. This means that the material used to make water containers should be free of any harmful substances, such as the chemical bisphenol A (BPA).
Otherwise, by heating the packaging material, these toxic substances can contaminate the contents in the containers and possibly endanger our health. For example, diseases such as diabetes, obesity, developmental disorders (especially in children) and infertility can result.
For the reasons mentioned above, we recommend that you look for BPA-free water containers when buying. The corresponding products are marked with the label “BPA-free”. Below you will find some basic characteristics of plastic containers:
- tasteless and odourless material,
- lightweight yet resistant,
- unbreakable unlike glass.
For a more comfortable transport of water, other drinks or even the empty water container, it is important that your water container has a low dead weight. This should generally be the case with plastic containers.
A water container that is equipped with one or more sturdy carrying handles can on the one hand be carried around comfortably and on the other hand can also be hung up anywhere.
Like the carrying handle mentioned above, a water tap also makes it easier to use a water container. With this accessory, you don’t have to constantly bend the water canister to take out water.
As a result, drinks can be dosed precisely and loss of liquid can be avoided. For convenience, we therefore recommend that you buy a container equipped with a carrying handle and water tap.
Decision: What types of water containers are there and which is the right one for me?
If you want to get a water container, there are two types of products you can choose between:
|Fixed water containers||By fixed water containers we mean containers that cannot be folded. You can choose between square or round water containers.|
|Foldable water containers||Foldable water containers can be reduced to a handy size. Consequently, they take up little space. You can choose between square or round water canisters.|
Both types have certain advantages and disadvantages. In the next sections you can learn more about the different types of containers.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about water containers answered in detail
In this guide, we would like to answer the most important questions on the subject of water containers in brief.
What do I need a water container for and in what size?
The required size of a water container depends on the amount of liquid to be stored. This in turn depends on the purpose and the duration of use. Manufacturers offer different sized water containers for each purpose.
How much does a water container cost?
|Water container 10 l||10-20 €|
|Water container 20 l||20-30 €|
|Foldable water container||5-10 €|
How do I clean a water container?
- Method and tools: Fill your canister 2/3 full with 60 degree warm water and a little food safe detergent. We recommend the use of citric acid. Alternatively, you can use disinfectants suitable for water disinfection (such as the Micropur product line).
- Leave for 12 to 24 hours.
In the following, we will show you another way to clean the water container:
- Fill your water canister with a 3 cm layer of rice grains.
- Dissolve a cleaning tablet in warm water and pour the solution into the water canister.
- Stir the contents generously and fill the water container completely with warm water.
- Let it soak for a few hours.
What is the shelf life of water in a water container?
What liquids can I store in a plastic water container?
As mentioned above, the purpose of such a container is to store and transport water or other beverages (i.e. food). Petrol and other harmful or corrosive solutions have no place here.
Otherwise, the container material could even dissolve. If you need to store liquids that are not water or basically beverages, we recommend that you buy a container made of another material, such as metal.
How can I repair a leaking plastic water container?
What are the alternatives to a water tank?
However, the Dry Bag can also serve as a water container. Because only the weight of the water has to be taken into account, so to speak, this article is ideal for carrying water and other liquids around.
What should I look for when buying a water container?
- The water container has the right capacity for you,
- is made of food-safe material,
- has a light weight,
- has a carrying handle
- and water tap.
Of course, we recommend that you consider buying the products presented above. These are some of the best models you can find on the market.
Image source: Ranmai/ 123rf.com