How we pick our products
The right training shoes for your preferred sport allow you to optimally support your feet during training. Furthermore, the right shoes ensure improved performance in sports. The different training shoes that we have listed in our large training shoe test 2022 are tailored to running, weight training and dance sports.
With our large training shoe test 2022 we want to help you find the best training shoes for you. We have compared training shoes in terms of material, weight, sole and closure. Furthermore, we have listed the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of training shoes to make your purchase decision easier.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The Best Training Shoes: Our Picks
- 3 Buying and evaluation criteria for training shoes
- 4 Decision: What types of training shoes are there and which one is right for you?
- 5 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying training shoes
- The right training shoes for different activities are especially important to prevent misalignments and injuries in sports. Comprehensive advice therefore plays a major role in the selection of shoes.
- Furthermore, training shoes that are tailored to you are important because they support your performance in sports and thus allow you to perform better or to carry out certain movements for longer.
- In addition, high-quality training shoes can give you pleasure for a long time and accompany you in your daily training. Furthermore, the sole and the fit of the shoes support your natural foot position.
The Best Training Shoes: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for training shoes
In the following, we will show you which aspects you can use to decide between the many possible training shoes.
The criteria with which you can compare the different training shoes include:
In the following paragraphs we will explain what the different criteria are.
- When it comes to the material for running training shoes, you should make sure that it is breathable and light. In the best case, you should feel as if you are running barefoot. On the other hand, the material must give your muscles a certain stability. Shoes made of leather are less suitable for running.
- The material of fitness training shoes should be somewhat stronger. Since the shoes are supposed to give you special stability during strength training, leather weightlifting shoes are particularly suitable for learning how to perform the exercises well.
- With dance training shoes, it all depends. Most dance shoes are made of leather because they have to withstand special stresses. There are also some dance shoes that are covered with velvet or satin. In this case, you must adjust the care of the shoes to the upper material.
- For running shoes, the sole is particularly important to support your foot during activity. You should bear in mind that the sole must be adapted to your running style and foot position. Furthermore, it plays a big role on which surface you run. On hard ground you need a softer sole and on soft ground you need a harder sole to protect your joints.
- The sole of the fitness training shoe should support your natural foot position and have a harder material. Since strength exercises require a lot of stability, the shoes should be rather stiff and offer your foot little room to move. The wedge heel is about 2 cm thick and is slightly higher at the heel, as this allows you to feel the strength exercises better in the muscle.
- The sole of the dance training shoes should have a special grip. Therefore, you should roughen the sole of the shoes with a screw-on brush from time to time so that you get the certain grip when dancing.
Since you want to run long distances in your running shoes, they should not be too heavy. The shoes should feel light on the foot so that you can increase your performance during training.
|Running training shoe||300-400 grams|
|Fitness training shoe||400-600 grams|
|Dance training shoe||200-500 grams|
You will definitely notice fitness training shoes on your feet because of the weight. Because the shoes are designed for stability and clean execution in strength training, they have a rougher upper and also a harder sole to support the foot.
The weight of dance training shoes varies by shoe type and design. Women’s dance shoes will be slightly lighter as they are often made of less material than men’s dance shoes. Furthermore, it depends on the different types of closures.
Closure types can vary for all training shoes. Most running shoes are lace-up, as this allows you to better adjust the fit of the shoes to your individual foot. Fitness training shoes are a different story. Most are equipped with a double system of lacing and Velcro fastening to ensure special stability during strength training with heavy weights.
Dance training shoes differ in their closure system between the sexes. While dance shoes for women predominantly have straps, buckles and laces. Dance shoes for men are often equipped with an elastic band or laces. You have to decide for yourself where your preferences lie.
Decision: What types of training shoes are there and which one is right for you?
If you want to buy training shoes, you can choose between three types.
- Running shoes
- Fitness training shoes
- Dance training shoes
The different training shoes differ in their materials, soles and weight. Therefore, they have different advantages and disadvantages. Depending on the activity you prefer, a different type of training shoe is suitable for you to improve your performance. The following section will help you decide.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of running shoes?
No matter how often you run, the right shoes are crucial for pain-free running. When running, you only need one piece of equipment – your running training shoes.
The right shoes will enable you to perform better in running.
Running training shoes are used exclusively for jogging. Their soles are particularly light and soft to provide optimal cushioning for your joints. Cushioning can be particularly useful to relieve pressure on the foot in the case of previous damage and to protect the healthy foot from being hit too hard.
Furthermore, most running training shoes contain an elevation in the sole to support the foot. This elevation must be adapted to the running style, as different styles require support at different points.
What distinguishes fitness training shoes and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
The right fitness training shoes are extremely important, especially for weightlifting. As soon as you perform squats, deadlifts and exercises that require a firm stance, fitness training shoes are a must.
You should wear suitable shoes for strength training so that you can learn how to perform the exercises correctly and thus protect yourself from incorrect posture and misalignment.
Fitness training shoes offer you exceptional stability on the back of your foot thanks to the integrated heel support, lacing and Velcro fastening and support you in your daily strength training.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of dance training shoes?
You need the right dance training shoes for dancing. Here you can distinguish dance shoes by gender. Women’s dance shoes usually have a heel of about 3-5 cm and men’s dance shoes are closed with a continuous sole.
Dance shoes are a useful companion in dance sport, not only for stability on the foot, but also to prevent the foot from malpositioning. Furthermore, dance shoes prevent slipping on the dance floor and thus avoid twisting of the ankle and associated injuries.
It is also important to wear dance training shoes for the dance floor. With normal street shoes you bring a lot of dirt into the dance hall and can damage the floor by streaking the sole and you can incur large cleaning costs.
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying training shoes
There are often a lot of questions about training shoes. So that you are well prepared for your purchase, we would like to touch on these topics in the following.
Why should I use training shoes?
It is also important to have the right sole and size. Training shoes that are too small can pinch and cause uncomfortable blisters. If you use a hard sole when jogging, this can have a bad effect on your knee joints.
By wearing the right training shoes, you can relieve the strain on your joints and muscles and thus perform the activity longer without exhaustion. This will improve your performance in the sport.
How do I care for my training shoes?
- Always allow wet training shoes to dry thoroughly, preferably in a well-ventilated room. If the shoes are wet, it is advisable to stuff them with newspaper so that the moisture is absorbed and no unpleasant odours arise.
- You should not expose your training shoes to strong heat such as the heater, the fireplace or the dryer. The heat can cause the material to change and the fit of the shoe will no longer be correct.
- Another tip for caring for your training shoes is to disinfect them or use shoe deodorant, as this kills bacteria and fungi and thus prevents unpleasant odours.
- Depending on the material of the training shoes, there are special cleaning agents that are intended to preserve the functional properties of the shoe for longer.
- If they are made of leather, make sure you rub them with a leather care product from time to time.
How do I clean my training shoes?
- Dirty training shoes should first be cleaned by hand with lukewarm water. If the dirt is particularly stubborn, you can use a soft brush to scrub them. For leather shoes, a damp cloth is usually sufficient.
- Avoid aggressive chemicals or cleaning agents, otherwise the upper material of the training shoes can be damaged.
- Always allow damp training shoes to dry thoroughly, preferably in a well-ventilated room. If the shoes are wet, it is advisable to stuff them with newspaper so that the moisture is absorbed and no unpleasant odours arise.
- ATTENTION: Leather shoes must not be washed in a washing machine.
Image source: lightfieldstudios/ 123rf.com