How we pick our products
Whether made of wood, with a bench or with a mirror – nowadays most households have a shoe cupboard. Today, shoe cabinets are available in a variety of styles, colours or types. They offer storage space for the darlings on our feet and bring order to our shoe collection. Likewise, they give us the opportunity to sort our shoes better than on the floor.
With our large shoe cupboard test 2022 we want to help you find the most suitable shoe cupboard for you. For example, we have compared shoe cupboards with a bench or mirror and listed the advantages and disadvantages for you. In this way, we would like to support you as best as possible in your purchase decision.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The best Shoe Cabinet: Our Picks
- 3 Shoe cupboards: buying and evaluation criteria
- 4 Shoe wardrobes: Frequently asked questions and answers
- 4.1 What is a shoe cupboard?
- 4.2 What types of shoe cabinets are there?
- 4.3 What are the alternatives to a shoe cabinet?
- 4.4 Shoe rack or shoe cupboard?
- 4.5 A closed or open shoe cabinet?
- 4.6 How can I attach a shoe cupboard to the wall?
- 4.7 How can I glue a shoe cupboard to the wall?
- 4.8 How much does a shoe cabinet cost?
- 5 Conclusion
- Shoe cabinets are now common all over the world. They are practical pieces of furniture and presentation tools for shoe lovers. Today, the choice on the market is huge.
- In Eastern cultures, slippers are an integral part of the rules of conduct. Shoe cabinets keep things tidy, especially there, due to the constant change from street shoes to slippers and vice versa.
- It is worth choosing a shoe cupboard carefully to ensure hygienic and tidy footwear. The material also determines the durability and weight of the shoe cabinet.
The best Shoe Cabinet: Our Picks
Shoe cupboards: buying and evaluation criteria
Using various criteria, you can compare shoe cabinets more easily and thus know what is important in order to find the right shoe cabinet for you. We have listed these criteria for you below:
In the following, we will explain the different variations of the criteria. This will give you a better overview of the many different types of shoe wardrobes available today.
Today, shoe cupboards are available in a wide range of sizes. The usual measurements in centimetres are between 49 and 100 for the width, between 29 and 39 for the depth and between 104 and 197 for the length. Before buying a new shoe cupboard, you should measure the space you intend to use.
Small items also need their place.
The product descriptions will help you decide how big the shoe cupboard should be. Many retailers indicate the possible number of shoes that would fit in the shoe cabinet or the shoe rack. To avoid space problems, it is worth counting the number of shoes.
Size should be one of your most important parameters. This way, you can make sure that the shoe cupboard really does fit in its intended place and that all the shoes can be accommodated. Depending on the space available, you could also consider whether you want the wardrobe to be taller or wider.
Number of compartments
Another important criterion for you could be the number of compartments. With compartments you can bring even more order into your shoe cupboard. Compartments make it possible to get a better overview of all the shoes. For example, you can sort by colour, by type of shoe or by how often they are worn.
It depends on how much and what you want to sort.
So depending on how you want to sort your shoes, the number of compartments matters. There are also shoe racks that have one pair of shoes per compartment. The number of compartments varies greatly depending on the shoe rack.
Shoe racks that have a lot of individual compartments can ensure that the fabric stays cleaner because they do not come into contact with other shoes. So if you are particularly concerned about hygiene, we advise you to choose a shoe cabinet with individual compartments.
Today, shoe cupboards are available in a wide variety of materials. The material also determines the weight, price and stability of the shoe cupboard. It is therefore worth taking a look. The range of materials is very wide, but we will describe the 3 most common materials below.
- Real wood: If you value durability and stability, a stable material is, for example, real wood. Real wood is available in many variations and is one of the heavier materials. Oak, for example, is known for its robustness. However, real wood furniture should be treated gently and only wiped lightly with a damp cloth. Common household cleaners damage the wood.
- Metal: Metal is the cheaper option, but less stable. However, it is easier to care for than real wood. Special cleaners may be used here, but you should be careful not to leave any scratches. Therefore, a cleaning agent without abrasive particles should be used. Metal is also much lighter than real wood.
- Chipboard: The cheapest shoe cabinets are usually made of chipboard. These are made of glued chips of different sizes that are pressed on top of each other in layers. They are mostly made of wood scraps and used wood from other woodworking processes. The main customer for chipboard is even the furniture industry.
Today, shoe cabinets are available in a wide variety of colours. White or black, for example, are particularly common. Matte or high-gloss is also very much on
the market. For example, there is also sand oak, Sonoma oak, Bordeaux, lime, petrol, walnut, oak, grey and brown. Our list could go on forever.
Further on, we give you our tips to help you choose the right colour.
- Colour wheel: It is worth taking a look at the colour wheel, which can be found everywhere on the internet. There you can see which colours are present in the room. You can then search for these colours in the colour wheel. The colours that are next to each other in the colour wheel harmonise best.
- Brightness: The brightness of the colours also plays a role. In larger rooms, darker colours look cosier and in smaller rooms, lighter colours should be used because they visually enlarge the room. On the colour wheel, you can therefore go more towards the centre and outside to find a suitable colour.
Depending on the intention of use, the mobility of the shoe cabinet also plays a role. Many shoe cabinets today have castors. Castors are also more suitable for wooden floors, for example, because they do not scratch them. Of course, you should make sure that the castors are not made of metal.
Mobile shoe cupboards are also practical in public buildings because they can be moved to the appropriate corner depending on use and event. It is also more time-saving than transporting shoe cabinets without castors and gentler on the body.
If you have fallen in love with a shoe cabinet without castors, it is of course also possible to attach them yourself.
Difficulty of assembly
Depending on your level of craftsmanship, it may be worth taking a look at the manufacturer’s specifications or the construction of the shoe cupboard. Basically, however, today all parts are often numbered and pictures are used in the instructions, which guarantees easy assembly.
Nevertheless, you can ask the manufacturer if it is not stated in the product description whether drilling is necessary. Then you would save yourself a step.
It is also worth checking whether spare screws are included in case you do not have a suitable selection of screws at home. This would save you having to buy new screws if one gets lost.
Plug-in systems are the easiest because you don’t have to do a lot of screwing or drilling. You can also design the inside of your shoe cupboard more flexibly. There are also combinable wardrobe systems that make it easier to expand the wardrobe.
Shoe wardrobes: Frequently asked questions and answers
The next section answers the most important questions about shoe cabinets. We have listed all the questions for you and give you detailed answers. By reading this guide, you will learn the most important background information about shoe cabinets.
What is a shoe cupboard?
In Eastern cultures, such as Japan, it is customary to change street shoes for slippers in the entrance area. Shoe cupboards are also not uncommon in temples and other buildings, because street shoes also have to be removed there for cultural reasons. If a carpet is laid out in a changing room, shoes should also be removed there.
However, there are also rules in Germany that should be observed. It is not permitted to place shoe cupboards in hallways without further ado. In Baden-Württemberg, according to § 15 para. 1 of the building regulations, no objects may be placed in the stairwell if this would block or obstruct escape routes or fire-fighting work.
What types of shoe cabinets are there?
|Shoe tippers||With these shoe cupboards, storage areas are mounted vertically. They can be opened by tilting them.|
|Shoe cupboard with pull-out function||With these shoe cupboards, the shelves inside are pulled out. These types of shoe cupboards have a very modern look.|
|Shoe cabinet with rotating function||These shoe cabinets work like a postcard rack to rotate. Here you turn the shoes you want to take to the front.|
What are the alternatives to a shoe cabinet?
|Baskets and boxes||To store your shoes in an opaque way, there is the option of using wooden baskets and sliding them into a shelf.|
|Modern wall shelves with magnetic plates||These shoe hangers work magnetically and are a real eye-catcher.|
Shoe rack or shoe cupboard?
Today, the market for shoe furniture is very versatile. There are, as listed above, many different construction systems. Whether a shoe cabinet or shoe rack is more suitable here depends on your own ideas. If you are looking for something new and want it to be more decorative or practical, it is worth going through the criteria listed above.
In general, it can be assumed that shoe cupboards are more inviting to get messier because the contents are not visible at all times. Those who are deco lovers or shoe collectors should therefore rather go for a shoe rack. Further advantages and disadvantages of both systems will be answered in the next question.
A closed or open shoe cabinet?
Advantages and disadvantages of open shoe cupboards:
Advantages and disadvantages of closed shoe cupboards:
It is thus clear here that there are advantages and disadvantages to both options. Therefore, you should consciously choose one option over the other.
How can I attach a shoe cupboard to the wall?
Below we have made a list of all the tools that you can easily copy into a digital shopping list. You can buy these tools at Obi, Hornbach or Hagebau, for example. It is always advisable to consult a local employee for advice.
- 2 metal brackets
- 8 dowels
- 8 screws
- Spirit level
- Cordless drill
How can I glue a shoe cupboard to the wall?
Not only tiles are suitable for gluing, but also natural stone, glass, concrete, metal and wood, for example. Before gluing, the surface should be properly prepared. The preparation is optimal when you have removed dirt, rust, paint residues or other substances. Therefore, it should be thoroughly cleaned. Then you should degrease the surface. You can use acetone for this purpose. However, you should pay attention to the compatibility of the material, as not all materials tolerate it. The surface should then be roughened with sandpaper for better adhesion.
When gluing, make sure that the glue is applied evenly and thinly.
How much does a shoe cabinet cost?
Shoe cupboards made of chipboard are very cheap, but are often also very unstable in construction. Solid wood shoe cabinets last for several years, but you should bear in mind that they need to be maintained more often and can therefore be even more expensive.
It is always worth thinking about how much storage space you really need. This way you can be sure not to buy larger and more expensive shoe cabinets than you actually need.
As can be seen from the article, there are a myriad of functions for shoe cabinets today. Depending on the material and size of the shoe cabinet, everyone can get their money’s worth. There are also various ways to mount shoe cabinets on the wall.
The design of the shoe cabinet even makes a lot of the hygiene. After all, we really do spend several hours in some shoes. That’s why it’s worth thinking about choosing an open shoe cupboard. If you’re more the messy type, but want your home to be tidy, a closed shoe cupboard is more worthwhile.
Image source: Asawachiwantorngul / 123rf