How we pick our products
At home, keeping order can be complicated, you may have so many things that you don’t know how to organise them. Many of them you don’t even use because you don’t have them at hand, and this is due to the clutter itself. An ideal way to make your home look cleaner and more spacious, as well as being able to see everything you have and use it in a practical way is to tidy it up, and that’s what racks do!
They allow you to look at all the items you have in an organised way, and help you use them with ease. We are your allies when you don’t know which is the best product for you, that’s why in this article you will learn everything you need to know about racks, and how to choose the best one according to what you need.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The best Racks: Our Picks
- 3 Buying guide: what you need to know about racks
- 4 Buying criteria
- Racks are shelves that allow the organisation of objects that previously had no place. They help keep your home tidy and make many everyday activities easier, depending on the area they are in and the direct function they serve.
- In the office and at home, racks are often seen, but there are racks specially designed for this purpose. Clothes racks, for example, have a limited capacity and are easy to move, as opposed to office racks, which have to be resistant to heavier weights and more difficult to move.
- Factors such as size, capacity, function or material are fundamental when buying, as they will determine the level of weight support, resistance to humidity or high temperatures and even the ease of installation within your space.
The best Racks: Our Picks
Buying guide: what you need to know about racks
After looking at the best racks on the market, you may understand a little more about what they are and how they benefit you; however, before you make your purchase, it’s important to know certain terms and factors that will help you choose the perfect rack for you.
What are racks and what are their advantages?
Racks are, in a nutshell, organising shelves. They allow you to place your items (depending on the rack you buy) in such a way that they are easily accessible and out of the way, creating a neater and more pleasant environment due to the order. The main advantage is the ease of access to your products and utensils.
By purchasing the right model you will be able to see everything you have available and use it evenly, so you don’t waste too much of a product. Another positive aspect is the tidiness, as it gives room for those things that you didn’t know where to put or how to store before. Like any product on the market, racks have advantages and disadvantages. You should know this before you buy them to be aware of what you are buying. Because of this, we will show you some of them.
Clothes racks and office racks – what to look out for?
Although the names differentiate them, appearances do not. It can be easy to confuse a rack specifically designed for clothing from one for office or general storage. Because of this, it is important that you understand the differences between the two before you buy, in order to make the right choice:
Clothes racks: This type of racks are usually among the lightest, and even include features that make them even easier to transport, such as wheels to move them from one place to another without any problems. They have a limited strength or weight capacity, as they are designed for garments. In their layout or design, it is very common to see that they have a spacing without shelves in between where the clothes are supposed to be hung. This space is designed so that there is a space between the final shelf and the shelf itself to place the shoes. Not all racks with a similar feature are designed for this.
Office racks: Office racks, which can also be considered storage racks, are usually sturdy shelves for storing or organising various items. They tend to be heavy duty because they are often used for heavy objects, or many objects at once. They are usually heavy, although this can vary due to the material they are made of. The most typical are 3 and 4 shelves, each with a high load-bearing capacity, as long as the weight distribution is even. They do not usually have free shelf spaces, like clothes racks, although some have a similar layout, but designed for tall and heavy items, not the wardrobe. One way to determine this difference is to look at whether or not there is a tube at the top, where garments can be easily hung.
|Garment racks||Office racks|
|Strength||Not intended for high loads||High. Even 250 lbs or more|
|Cleanliness||Easy to clean||Easy to clean|
|Ease of transport||Very easy to move||Can be complicated by weight|
|Weight||Approximately 2 kg to 4 kg||Approximately 4 kg to 10 kg|
What are special purpose racks?
There are a number of special designs for different areas, because when it comes to carrying out certain activities, or keeping order on particular objects, racks come in handy. They are designed for one purpose only, and are quite useful in everyday life.
- Kitchen station racks. They usually have integrated cutting boards, and special spaces for hanging pans and small pots and pans. They are quite practical, and are designed not to take up too much space when placed in the kitchen. If you are looking for a rack for this area of your home, this is the one for you.
- Liquor racks. These racks are designed and sized for the safe storage of liquor bottles. They usually take up little space, are lightweight and highly resistant. In addition to this, the support of each bottle is safe, to avoid falls.
- Racks for frying pans. If you are the type of person with a wide variety of pans, this type of rack is perfect for you. Not only does it allow you to organise them by size or frequency of use, but they are lightweight, easy to assemble and take up little space. They also allow air to flow between each pan, eliminating any traces of moisture.
- CD and book racks. These are the best thought-out models when it comes to racks. Many times you don’t have enough money for a library, and your cd’s, whether they are movies, video games or music, are everywhere. With this type of rack you can keep everything in order. Both book and CD racks usually take up very little space, as they are long, not wide, which makes them suitable for small spaces. In addition, they are usually very accessible.
How much do racks cost?
Racks can vary in price, depending on what you are looking for. The price in general is between 400 MXN and 1,500 MXN, depending on the material, the amount of shelves, the size or the resistance. In the case of clothes racks, they can be found between 250 MXN and 500 MXN.
They are usually more affordable due to their simplistic design, plus the strength is not too high. Bottle racks, for example, are between 350 and 500 MXN; CD racks are between 450 MXN and 900 MXN depending on the design; book racks vary between 700 MXN and 1,500 MXN; and kitchen racks are between 1,300 MXN and 2,200 MXN.
As a final aspect, it is of utmost importance that you are aware of factors that allow you to make comparisons, and that help you decide which model is right for you according to your main needs, in order to make your day-to-day life easier. Due to the above, we will present you some of the main criteria that you should take into account before buying, so that you can make the ideal purchase for you.
According to the material of which the rack is made, its resistance, ease of transport or weight can be affected. It is important that, before you buy it, you take into account what you are going to put on it, so that you choose the right material for the weight it will carry.
- Plastic: These are usually the cheapest. They are very light and easy to assemble, although the fittings are not always perfectly defined. This material is easy to move, but its resistance to high loads is not very high. They are more prone to deformation or sagging, and are not recommended in high temperature areas.
- Steel. It is strong. They can be heavy due to the material itself, but have a very high load-bearing capacity. They are not damaged by heat or moisture. It is difficult for these structures to deform, although it is still preferable to distribute the weight evenly to avoid damage. Their fit is usually very precise when assembled.
- Wire. It could be said that it is a middle ground between the two previous materials. They are strong, withstand high loads and are not damaged by high temperatures. They are more accessible than steel, and a little less heavy. They can be deformed, as wire is a material that can yield depending on the force applied to it. They can rust, damaging its structure and staining whatever is placed on top of it.
- Wood. This material can be heavy and prone to termites. Normally racks made of this material are made to carry heavy loads and are more decorative than practical. Many are designed directly into the wall.
The capacity of a rack is the weight that it can support per shelf, or as a whole, depending on the design. It is important that these limits are respected, as if overloaded, they can become deformed and even dismantled. Always keep in mind the limit of your rack, to avoid irreversible damage to it. Although there are particular racks with specific capacities, there are some that are more common, it is preferable that you keep them in mind so that you can analyse this information when choosing your rack, always thinking about the load you will place on it.
- 40 KG to 80 KG. They are light, they can be made of plastic or wire. They are not very strong, but they are suitable for home use. If you do not plan to load your rack too much, or the weight of the load is not much, this capacity can be ideal for you. They are usually cheaper.
- 80 KG to 125KG. This type of racks are resistant to high weight, this limit allows a greater storage capacity, besides being commonly made of a more resistant material. They are a middle ground between lightweight and heavy duty. Ideal for home garages.
- 150 KG or more. They are intended and designed for high loads. They can withstand heavy weights, so they are recommended for warehouses or equipment organisation. They are not easily deformed and are usually made of steel. They may be more expensive than the two previous ones.
The purpose of the racks is one of the key points that will help you choose the right one. While there are specific functions that don’t require much consideration when buying (such as book or CD racks) there are uses for which a generic rack can work, but certain factors should be considered.
- Garage. In this area of the home, it is very common to handle heavy tools and materials, for this reason it is advisable to use wire or steel racks, with a capacity of between 80 KG and 125 KG. It is more practical and not too expensive.
- Clothing. For this use, it is best to use very light racks, its structure can be a mixture of plastic and steel, the latter not being very thick, being used mainly in the tube for hanging clothes. It is preferable to buy it with wheels to make it even easier to move. Its capacity can be between 40 KG and 80 KG.
- Toilets. The bathroom does not usually handle a lot of weight, apart from towels and cleaning and personal hygiene implements. A plastic rack with a small capacity is recommended for this area, of a not very large size, so as not to limit the space. Steel racks are also recommended, especially if there is a lot of humidity.
- Office. In the office, plastic racks are not very attractive, as they do not look very favourable aesthetically. It is advisable to use metal or steel racks, and depending on the office area, choose the capacity. For example, if it is for stationery, one of 40 KG – 80 KG can work, but if you handle heavy equipment, between 80 KG and 125 KG.
The size of the rack depends very much on the space you have available. Keep in mind that the size limits the amount or dimensions of the items you plan to store in it. You have to keep in mind the height and width that the model handles, in order to choose the one that suits your space.
- Small. A rack that can be considered small has dimensions in which, for example, its height reaches the hip of the person using it. They are usually easy to position and handle, and should not get in the way in the room. An example of the dimensions of this size of rack is 35 cm wide x 83 cm long.
- Medium. Racks that can be called “medium sized” have a key visual reference point, and that is that they are no taller than 1.8 metres for the most part, so not too tall for a standard person. An example of the dimensions of such racks is 40 cm wide x 182 cm high.
- Large. These racks can be 2 meters or more, and the width can be up to 1 meter, always being proportional between height and width. They are normally large storage racks.
Depending on how it is designed, the rack can be horizontal or vertical. This can be convenient according to the space in which the rack is to be placed. Both orientations have positive aspects, but you should take into account whether it suits you or not.
- Vertical. Vertical racks allow more storage upwards, they are usually narrow, so the objects inside them cannot be too wide. They take up less space than horizontal racks.
- Horizontal. With these racks there can be more storage capacity for wide objects. It is very typical to see that this type is more stable, so it can support greater weights than the vertical ones; however, this may vary according to the design and material of the rack. (Featured Image Source: Alexander Korzh/ 123rf.com)