The team behind THEGOODESTATE is all about online shopping and this is why we conducted a detailed survey of online shops. The result: we decided to award the best online shops with our quality label “Top Shop 2019”.
Step 1: Identification of candidates
First, a list of all online shops is compiled from various data sources such as https://ecommercedb.com. We then eliminate all online shops that are marketplaces, portals for B2B customers and shops in foreign languages.
Step 2: Relevancy
We then also eliminated all remaining online shops who only offer digital goods or are focused on a subscription-based business model (such as telephone providers). In addition, shops with a very low monthly traffic are also sorted out.
Step 3: Detailed investigation
The remaining online shops are then thoroughly investigated by experts from THEGOODESTATE on the basis of objective criteria. We section the different criteria in 4 categories. With the help of a point system, the winners of the survey are then determined.
The award is based on an evaluation in four areas:
- UX / Usability
- Data Protection & Security
- Services & Communication
UX / Usability
- What is the quality of the layout and the page structure?
- How functional and easy-to-navigate is the online shop?
- How practical is the search function of the online shop? Is there an auto-completion function?
Data Protection & Security
- Is personal data only collected, processed, used and passed on to third parties if the customer has given consent?
- Is information about the use of personal data provided in a comprehensible and easily accessible manner?
- Are there any references to data security (e.g. SSL) for potential customers?
- How much trust does the online shop project?
- Is there an imprint and a data protection declaration available and if so, are they linked on the homepage?
Payment & Price
- What payment methods does the online shop offer?
- Is the price of a product easy for the online shopper to understand?
- Are only products offered whose sale is not prohibited by law?
- Is it easy to find an overview page of all available payment methods?
- Is the purchasing process clearly structured and does it provide information on return options?
Services & Communication
- Does the online shop communicate directly with the logistics partners it works with?
- Is there the possibility of free delivery?
- Is the consumer informed – before entering his personal data – about the right of revocation and about any exceptions?
- How and when can the online shop be contacted?