Suits almost always give men a tasteful and distinguished appearance. Whether at work or at a social evening event, they show themselves serious, elegant and full of charm in a stylish suit. There is a perfect suit for every occasion.
What kind of suit you need to choose for the given occasion is explained in the following article. At the buying guide 2023 you will find all the information you need to know about men’s suits. We give you tips on choosing your suits, what to look out for when cleaning them and how you can be sure that your suit fits appropriately.
- 1 The Best Men’s Suit: Our Picks
- 2 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men’s suits
- 3 Men’s suits: The most important questions answered
- 4 Styling tips for men’s suits: How to achieve the perfect suit look
- 5 Conclusion
The Best Men’s Suit: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying men’s suits
The criteria that will help you compare the whole range of suits for men include:
- Suit type
In the following paragraphs, we explain what matters in each aspect.
When it comes to how your suit fits best, you can look at different fits. The typical fits are called Regular Fit, Modern Fit, Slim Fit and Super Slim Fit.
The Regular Fit is the classic line. Here there is a good balance between elegance and comfort because it is not completely tight. Moreover, this fit is also available in large sizes.
Modern Fit is a new fit for the fashion-conscious man. The cut is slightly slimmer than the Regular Fit and emphasises the silhouette of the suit wearer. The jacket is cut slightly shorter and the foot width slightly narrower, so that the body is emphasised more.
For younger and trendier men, there is the Slim Fit. The jacket is cut narrower and shorter and the trousers have a lower waistband, a slim leg and a narrow foot width. This makes this fit very body-hugging. The super slim fit suit is cut in a similar way. However, this is often a two-button jacket and has slightly shorter trousers.
The material the suit is made of is important, especially in high temperatures. Cotton, for example, absorbs moisture and is therefore wonderfully suitable for summer. Cotton is also tear-resistant and hard-wearing. Suits made of linen are also very cooling and suitable for warm days.
Suits made of silk are particularly light, but also very costly to produce and therefore somewhat more expensive. If you want a special pattern, the material is perfect for such a suit.
Pure new wool is the best alternative for colder days. This fabric is particularly warming and still looks very classy at the same time.
There are also different versions of the suit. You can choose from the following:
- Single-button jacket: For elegant evenings, with long, narrow lapels.
- Two-button jacket: An all-rounder for the office and leisure.
- Double-breasted suits: Ideal for formal occasions.
- Dinner jacket: For festive occasions such as weddings.
- Tailcoat: Well suited for extraordinary formal events.
When it comes to colour, it simply depends on your taste and which colour is appropriate for the dress code. Regarding the dress code, we have given you more detailed information in the guide. Otherwise, we would recommend that you try it out and test different colours. There are no limits here. From black to blue to a checked suit, there is actually everything. And if you don’t find anything you like, you can also have an individual suit tailored.
Suit accessories are the perfect addition to your look. If you’re looking for an accessory, you should be aware of the dress code beforehand, because you can’t wear every accessory for every occasion. In principle, however, you should never wear more than 3 accessories with a suit.
The most common accessories are the following:
- Bow tie
- Cuff links
- Pocket square
So if you do decide to accessorise, make sure above all that they go well with the suit, otherwise it can quickly cause a stir.
Men’s suits: The most important questions answered
In the following guide, we want to answer the most important questions about men’s suits. We have picked out the most important questions for you and presented them in more detail below. After reading through the guide, you will know all the essential information about men’s suits.
What styles of men’s suits are available?
Suits do not only have to be worn on festive occasions to make a good impression. You can also show up at the office in a suit. Here is an overview of the occasions for which a suit is appropriate.
- Serious business suits: For the office, you can very well wear a dark suit that offers enough freedom to move around. Here, a two-button jacket with a light-coloured shirt and tie goes very well. With this outfit you radiate self-confidence and seriousness.
- Suits for weddings: Suits are always welcome at weddings. Be it dark suits with pastel-coloured shirts or slim-fitting, light-coloured linen suits at a summer wedding.
- Men’s suits for glamorous evening events: Here the dress code “Black Tie” is often required. For this dress code, you should wear a classic black dinner jacket with a matching bow tie and white shirt.
- Elegant suits for dinner: For an evening dinner, models in light grey look very elegant. But light pinstripes or a check pattern with a colour-coordinated waistcoat can also perfect the look.
- The casual suit look: If you also want to wear a suit in your free time, there are perfect combination options for this. Suits in a slim fit can be casual together with a shirt and sneakers. It is best not to wear a tie and to choose a more discreet suit colour.
How do I know if my suit fits well?
To ensure that your look is elegant and neat, you should pay special attention to the perfect fit of your suit. Below we have listed all the points for you to make sure you have chosen the perfect size.
- There should be a finger’s width of space between the shirt collar and the neck.
- The shoulder seam should rest exactly on your shoulders.
- A tie should always extend a little above the waistband.
- Cuffs should protrude at least 1 cm below the sleeves.
- If you wear suit trousers with pleats, they should not fold up.
- The lapels should lie flat at the neck.
- The jacket should not be tight when closed and should not be cut too airy. If you are unsure, the following rule of thumb helps: If a closed fist just barely fits under the back of your jacket, then the top fits well.
- With classic suits, the buttocks should be covered by the jacket. For fashionable short cuts, the jacket ends about 5 cm below the sleeve.
- The matching trousers end about 1 to 1.5 cm above the top of the heel of the shoe.
How do I care for and clean my men’s suit?
To ensure that you can wear your suit for a long time and it still looks like new, it needs to be cared for regularly. You should pay attention to a few things, which we explain below.
First of all, you should always follow the care instructions on the product label. It is also advisable to have your suit professionally cleaned once or twice a year so that it does not get dusty and stays fresh.
After wearing the suit, you can brush it out and remove the lint. You can use a natural hair or clothes brush for this, for example. Furthermore, it is advisable to hang your suit out in the fresh air. If your suit has wrinkles, these can be easily removed with a steam iron. You should pay attention to the material and adjust the temperature accordingly.
If your suit has a stain, you can remove it with a little water and liquid soap. It is important that you dab and not rub when cleaning.
What are the dress codes for suits?
If there is a dress code in an invitation, it tells you what you should wear for a particular occasion. You can see what the dress codes are for suits and what they mean below.
- Business Formal: This dress code is often required at middle to higher management levels. Suits in darker colours such as dark blue, anthracite or black are suitable here. The shirt can be chosen in a pastel or white tone. A coloured tie goes well with this in combination.
- Informal: This dress code is usually chosen when you are invited to an evening event that is not quite so formal. Dark grey or black suits with a white shirt are ideal for this dress code. To add some colour to the outfit, you are welcome to wear a discreet tie.
- Black Tie: “Black Tie” is often chosen for very glamorous evening events. A black dinner jacket is particularly suitable here. We recommend a shirt with a reinforced collar and a double cuff, a cummerbund and a pocket square, as well as a black bow tie and black shoes.
Styling tips for men’s suits: How to achieve the perfect suit look
- Cufflinks or tie pins further enhance your outfit.
- The pocket square and tie should be colour-coordinated. You should also make sure that the tie sits centrally on your neck and is neatly knotted.
- Bow ties are particularly elegant and glamorous, but they should not be too large.
- A belt should not be missing. It is more for visual effect than for support and should match the colour of the shoes.
- A beautiful wristwatch can be a special highlight.
If you keep these tips in mind and put some of them into practice, you should be able to make a grand entrance at any upcoming event.
So, if you are looking to buy a suit, you now know all the important aspects you should be aware of before making a purchase. You also know the most important dress codes, styling tips and cleaning instructions.
Which men’s suit you choose, however, is up to your taste and your upcoming events for which you want to wear a suit. Whether you want a fancy suit or a simple one that is suitable for almost any occasion. Either way, a suit for men offers many advantages for a serious and confident life.
Image source: Unsplash / Hunters Race