How we pick our products
A large tent offers space for many people and can be used for various purposes. Because of the large amount of space, a large tent creates room for friends, family, luggage, furniture and much more. A large tent is ideal for a party, a longer holiday with the family or for people who just want to be cosy.
Our large tent test 2022 is designed to help you find the best large tent for you. We have compared large tents for events, large tents for sports and leisure and large nomad tents. We have also listed the advantages and disadvantages to help you make the right buying decision.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The Best Large Tent: Our Picks
- 3 Buying and evaluation criteria for large tents
- 4 Decision: What types of large tents are there and which one is right for me?
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about large tents answered in detail
- A large tent is a temporary structure made of materials such as polyester, nylon, cotton, membrane, tarpaulin or leather. A tent includes a supporting structure consisting of a skeleton on poles made of wood, bamboo, plastic or metal.
- Large tents come in different designs, for different occasions and uses, and with different features.
- A large tent can be divided into several parts – inner tent, outer tent and skeleton – and made of different materials. The material of your tent not only affects the price, but also the weight, water resistance, cleaning method and stability.
The Best Large Tent: Our Picks
Buying and evaluation criteria for large tents
Large tents can be very expensive. Therefore, a simple purchase intention can quickly turn into an investment. To avoid mistakes or unexpected surprises, it is important that you take a close look at the buying and evaluation criteria.
The following criteria will help you choose the right big tent:
Number of people
A sports and leisure tent already belongs to the category of large tents from a capacity of five people. Such tents usually have a capacity of up to 12 people. After that, it is difficult and not recommended to have a larger tent. This is because the larger the tent, the more stability must be guaranteed.
The optimum size for a large sports or leisure tent is eight people.
For larger tents, such as a party or festival tent, the number of people varies. Depending on the type of tent, large tents have a lot of space.
Ultimately, it all depends on how you will use the tent and what kind of extra items, such as backpacks, tables, chairs, etc., you will have in the tent.
A tent with the right features offers more comfort. Since more features mean a higher purchase price, you should think carefully about what you need for your tent.
Below you will find a list and explanation of the most important criteria.
|Mosquito net||Protect yourself from uninvited creepy-crawlies. A mosquito net is usually part of the basic equipment of a tent.|
|Storage compartments, vestibules||Storage compartments provide more comfort and order. This allows the rooms to be used more efficiently. Apses are not located directly in the inner tent, but are usually between the entrance and the inner tent.|
|Awning||An awning covers the entrance area and protects against sun and rain. This is an area outside your tent and can vary in size, so at best you can use it for seating.|
|Windows||windows let in more light and make the large tent look more inviting and cosy. Windows should be well sealed and stitched. If they are not done properly, it can affect the waterproofing of the tent.|
|Headroom||Optimal headroom makes the big tent more comfortable as you can move around the tent and stand upright.|
|(Sewn-in) floor||A floor protects against ground moisture and makes the tent a closed chamber. It also protects the turf and prevents you from sleeping on the bare ground.|
Depending on the equipment, there are no upper limits. Your destination with its altitude, climate and weather can play an important role.
The material of your outer tent should be robust and UV-resistant and should not deform in either heat or cold. Your inner tent should be UV-resistant and provide a dry climate. For this reason, it is recommended to use a material that is permeable to air and water vapour.
The floor should be made of a thicker and more robust material. The fabric should be waterproof and not tear quickly. Your tent should have sturdy and strong poles. The bigger your tent, the sturdier your frame should be.
You can choose from the following materials for a large tent:
Sports and leisure tent
- Outer tent: Nylon, Polyester
- Inner tent: nylon, polyester
- Floor: waterproof material
- Skeleton: fibreglass, aluminium
Party and festival tent:
- Outer tent: waterproof material, PE tarpaulin, polyester
- Skeleton: steel poles, aluminium
The choice of colour for your large marquee plays an important role and should be carefully considered.
Dirt is less noticeable with dark colours and generally makes the tent less conspicuous. However, the interior heats up much more when exposed to sunlight and it can get very warm inside the tent.
Bright colours create a nice light inside, but are more noticeable to insects.
Bright colours let light in earlier in the morning and longer in the evening. They heat up less quickly, so it doesn’t get warm as quickly. However, light colours are more susceptible to dirt.
Pack size / weight
Tents have an average weight of 1.5 kilograms per person. For large tents, the weight per person can be much less and is around 0.8 kilograms per person.
Lighter fabrics are more flexible and easier to stow. Heavy cotton or leather has been replaced by nylon or polyester. Aluminium and wooden poles have been replaced by special metal alloys or fibreglass.
The modern production method not only has a positive influence on weight reduction, but has the same effect on the pack size.
Decision: What types of large tents are there and which one is right for me?
If you want to buy a large tent, there are three product alternatives to choose from.
|Large tent for occasions||Space for large number of people, Space for furniture and decoration, Outdoor occasion||Somewhat expensive, Complex to set up/dismantle|
|Large tent for sports and leisure||Ideal for large groups or families, Is spacious, Available with different features||Takes up more space to transport, More expensive than smaller tents|
|Large nomad tent||Offers a lot of space, Very robust||Complex to set up/dismantle, Takes up more space to transport|
You can find out more about the individual large tent alternatives in the next sections.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about large tents answered in detail
Are you looking for a large tent for an event or for your next camping holiday with the whole family and still have unanswered questions? Then you’ve come to the right place. We have answers to the most frequently asked questions about large tents.
What is a large tent?
As soon as we talk about a capacity of 15 people or more, this tent is considered a large tent. For a leisure tent like a camping tent, a 5-person tent already belongs to the category of large tents.
How much does a large tent cost?
|Sports and leisure tent||approx. €60-1,200|
|Tent for occasions||approx. €600-10,000|
|Nomad tent||approx. €150-2,200|
After all, buying a large tent is an investment that needs to be considered carefully. In any case, the price-performance ratio should be in line with this consideration.
How do I transport a large tent?
After you have checked the factors of the tent, you can decide whether you want to transport it by car, trailer or even truck.
How do I store a large tent?
After dismantling, you can clean and store your tent as described in the following instructions. You can use these instructions for any type of tent.
- Cleaning, drying: You must dry and clean every tent before storing it. Dirt can cause holes and tears that can damage your tent. Clean your tent before you store it. All you need is lukewarm water, a mild detergent and a sponge or soft brush. Note: The washing machine cycle will ruin your tent!
- Tent skin: When you take down the tent skin, you are already starting to store your big tent. Make sure it folds properly. Follow the instructions in the user manual. If you received a tent bag with your tent, it is best to put everything in the bag in the correct order. Your tent should lie loosely in the bag.
- Skeleton, floor: Familiarise yourself with the skeleton of your big tent. You can store an aluminium profile, plastic or metal in any place with a clear conscience. Keep the wood and bamboo dry and well ventilated. The ground should also be stored in a dry and well-ventilated place, as it is usually wet and dirty and therefore dries better.
- Storage location: We recommend a dry and not too warm place for storage. If you store your tent in very high temperatures, you can damage the waterproofing. This will make your tent less waterproof. If you want to store your tent in the basement, set up a dehumidifier. Moisture also damages the impregnation.
If you follow the correct dismantling procedure for your large tent, you will avoid tears in your tent. This will give your large tent a longer life.
Should I rent or buy a large tent?
It’s best to make a list of pros and cons and a list of costs.
It is also useful to make a plan to check how often you will actually need a large tent. Coordinate with the people you will be using the tent with. Talk to the people who already own a large tent.
How do I assess the right size of large tent for me?
Rule of thumb for calculating the tent size for a sports tent, leisure tent or nomad tent:
- Mats usually have a length of 180 – 200 cm and a width of 50 – 80 cm
- When sitting, the height should be at least 90 – 100 cm
- When standing, the reference value is the height of the tallest person
- For longer trips, you can simply subtract one person from the stated number of people in the tent
Rule of thumb for calculating the tent size for a marquee or party tent:
- Standing persons: Number of people x 0.5 m² = space required in m²
- Rows of chairs: Number of people x 0.7 m² = space required in m²
- Marquee sets: number of persons x 0.8 m² = space required in m²
- Seating with table: number of persons x 1.2 m² = space required in m²
Note: A circus tent, for example, can hold over 2,000 people.
Features that can have an influence on your tent size are, for example: number of people, luggage, furniture, objects and much more.
What are the alternatives to a large tent?
- Several smaller tents
- Motorhome / camper
- Circus tent
With these options, you can still spend your holiday in nature and hold your event outdoors.
Image source: Limon/ 123rf.com