How we pick our products
No one today can deny that cycling is one of the best options out there for transport. We all know that it is beneficial in both an economical and environmental standpoint. All the while it has the added benefit of improving our cardiovascular endurance and respiratory health. Moreover, if you live in big cities like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, traveling by bike can help avoid long, torturous traffic jams. What more could you ask for? Well, amidst all these amazing benefits, there is only one problem with conventional bikes: not everyone can fit a bike inside their home.
Many people do not have the luxury of having a garage or large yard space for storage. Because of this inconvenience is precisely why folding bikes have become the next best thing. It’s benefits extend past simply being able to place it in any corner of the house. One of the best things about these bikes, (especially in big cities where bike theft is prevalent) is that you’ll never have to leave it on the street when you arrive at your destination. With folding bikes, you’ll never have to worry about theft again.
- 1 Summary
- 2 The best folding bikes: Our Picks
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about folding bikes
- 3.1 What is a folding bicycle and what is it for exactly?
- 3.2 Who are folding bikes for?
- 3.3 What are the benefits about having a folding bicycle?
- 3.4 What are the advantages and disadvantages of using folding bicycles?
- 3.5 What are the benefits of riding a folding bicycle?
- 3.6 How do you carry and store a folding bicycle?
- 3.7 What types of folding bicycles are there?
- 3.8 Electric folding bicycles: A great invention?
- 4 Purchase Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Today, we have individually developed alternatives to urban mobility by incorporating the use of bikes as a primary source of transport. More and more people are choosing to buy folding bikes in order to easily integrate the use of a bike into their daily lives.
- It is a – if not the most – sustainable, affordable and flexible means of transportation today. With a folding bike, transport is effortless, specially when you have to transport them for significant distances without being able to drive them.
- Folding bicycles have evolved immensely since the first models were created. Old models were heavier and clunkier, they were not able to reduce down to the tiny compact sizes that are available today. Advances in design and technology have had a huge impact on the comfort of the bicycle and it’s ability to fold down to a very small, manageable size.
The best folding bikes: Our Picks
In the next sections, we’ve compiled the best folding bikes available to you on the market. We have included a description which summarised their main features and characteristics. This information will help you decided which model is the right one for you according to desired shape and the most appropriate size.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about folding bikes
As spaces the space in big cities become smaller and more crowded, folding bicycles have become exceedingly popular and fashionable in the last decade. If you’re thinking about buying one to use on your daily endeavours, with the added benefit of getting exercise all at once, read through this guide carefully. With the information we’ve compiled in this article, you’ll be able to confidently pick the bike that suits all your riding needs.
What is a folding bicycle and what is it for exactly?
Folding bikes are often used in conjunction with other forms of public transport, like the subway or a bus.
Who are folding bikes for?
What are the benefits about having a folding bicycle?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using folding bicycles?
|You can combine bicycle transport with other means of transportation.||Greater sensitivity to road imperfections.|
|You can store it in any corner or nook.||Difficulty finding accessories to customise it.|
|More difficult to steal.||Difficulty folding with some models.|
|You can take it with you anywhere.||More expensive than conventional bikes.|
|They don’t devalue as much as a normal bike.||They draw a lot of attention (you’ll always be exposed to questions).|
What are the benefits of riding a folding bicycle?
- Caloric expenditure: Riding your bike for an hour can burn up to 500 calories, sometimes more.
- It strengthens the muscles of the legs: Riding a bike is great for toning the muscles of the legs. The quadriceps and hamstrings work together, promoting muscle growth and endurance.
- Improved posture: Because we utilise our core so much while on the bike in order to maintain balance and a straight back and spine, it aligns and strengthens the muscles of the body, which helps correct the bad posture in our day to day lives.
- Lubricated and mobile joints: Biking strengthens the joints of the knees, arms and shoulders.
- Eliminates stress: Not only is riding a bike refreshing because it promotes being outside in the fresh air, it is also very enjoyable and entertaining.
- Promotes the health of our endocrine and immune system: Because it is so stimulating on the body, it contributes to the regulation and healthy release of endorphins (our feel good hormones).
How do you carry and store a folding bicycle?
What types of folding bicycles are there?
|Ease of folding||Features|
|Horizontal fan|| Folded size: medium.
Longer folding time.
|For the rear tilting axle|| Folded size: small.
Fast folding capabilities.
|Folded by vertical fan|| Folded size: tall but narrow.
Fastest folding bike on the market.
|Umbrella folding|| Very small fold size.
|Disassembled bikes|| they are NOT foldable, but get the same final effect of being compact.
|Compact bicycles with detachable parts||This is the intermediate model between a standard bicycle and a folding one.|
Electric folding bicycles: A great invention?
This type of folding bike can solve any problem of space you may encounter in your home, while making your life easier by buying a bike that’s more comfortable and lighter to carry. The only drawback? They tend be priced higher than conventional bikes and the intensity of exercise often reduced due to its inability to reach high speeds.
When you’re looking for a folding bike, rather than wondering which one is “the best”, you have to think about which one best suits your needs. if you are someone who will be traveling through the countryside, you should not seek out the same type of bike as someone who wants to move through a big city for example. Below, we explain all the different features a foldable bike can have so you can choose the features you want and then, with that in mind, choose the bike that will best suit your needs.
- Intended use
- Folded size
- Electric or standard
- Wheel size
If you decide to buy a folding bike, one of the first things you have to consider is where and what you will be using it for. The bicycle you should buy will depend on if you intend to use it as your primary means of transport, or simply for recreational purposes for example. You should always consider the distance you will be traveling per week, and how often you will use your bike.
It is helpful to know that the vast majority of folding bicycles are designed for urban use on paved roads, although there are some exceptions. Usually, the ideal places to utilise a folding bike are in the city. Thinking about the surface of the majority of the routes you will take is an important factor to take into account.
Being able to take your bike everywhere is the biggest incentive in purchasing a foldable bike. Whether in the car, climbing stairs or transporting it through the subway, we want it to be easily transportable. Depending on the model, their weight can range from 9 to 18 kilos. You should also keep in mind that the lighter the bike is, the more the manufacturer has made sacrifices in its strength.
If you are looking for a folding urban bike, you probably have limited space in your home and want to take full advantage of their portable capabilities. With this in mind, it’s important that the bike you choose is easy to fold, taking no more than 2 minutes to get it done. It should be simple, without complication.
Although their dimensions vary according to the model: one of these bikes, when folded, has an average length of about 70-80 cm. Its width can vary from 20-40 centimetres and the height varies between 60 and 70 cm. When choosing a bike, you must make sure it’s exactly the right size for your body.
There are folding bikes that come without the option of gear changes, others with a single chainring and several sprockets and others that have conventional gear changes with a wide sprocket crown and two or three chainrings. The more options the transmission system has, the more comfortable it will be to face uneven terrain. Although this does add considerable weight to the bike.
Electric or standard
The increased popularity of electric bicycles is undeniable. That’s why more and more brands are beginning to offer electric folding bikes. It is a question of assessing whether you want to make the same journeys with more or less effort, depending on whether you want to avoid arriving to your destination tired and sweaty.
Additional bike accessories are always useful. Practically all folding bikes have slides at the back and/or front to make your journey easier. Other interesting accessories to consider before buying the bike are whether you want/need to include a kickstand, bell or a fender.
There are several sizes of wheels: 26”, 20” or 16”; 20 inch wheels being the most common. They are preferred because they offer greater stability at the lightest weight possible, making them more suitable for longer journeys or for areas that have bad road conditions.
There are models with mechanical as well as hydraulic disc brakes. These models tend to offer greater braking efficiency, but are more complex and difficult to repair if damaged. Currently, the best system continues to be the one that incorporates two brake pads that rub on the rim to bring the bike to a halt.
Usually, the two materials that constitute the frames of folding bikes are made of aluminium and steel. There are titanium and carbon fibre options for the most demanding of circumstances. The main advantage of the latter materials are their lightness, although you also have to bear in mind that the price will be significantly higher if you opt for one of these options.
As you can see after reading this article, the folding bicycle industry is continuing to thrive. This has led to the creation of a whole new variety of models with ever reducing weights and dimensions, both for the city and for the countryside rider. Making it possible to find one of these bikes regardless of your budget.
Choosing a folding bicycle is an extremely wise purchase, presenting multiple advantages, especially if your home is located in a crowded city and the space within your home is limited. It is a very practical means of transport, taking us wherever we please. It is beneficial to the environment and the healthiest option in regards to transportation combined with physical movement. So, what are you waiting for?
If you liked this article, leave a comment with your thoughts or share it on social media.
(Featured image source: Lassedesignen: 36494537/123rf.com)