How we pick our products
Getting yourself a good quality beard oil isn’t just for eliminating dryness and itchiness. They also help keep your skin and facial hair nourished and hydrated. Every man with a beard understands that facial hair can become as tangled and damaged as any other hair. You are, therefore, left with a choice: invest in a good quality beard oil, or risk looking like Tom Hank’s character in Cast Away.
If it’s your first time growing your beard, and you’ve decided to do so to save time on your personal hygiene, you’re making a big mistake. If you don’t take good care of your beard, you’ll have to trim it often to keep it clean. It’s important to realize that healthy, clean, shiny beards don’t grow on trees – pun intended. Itching, dry skin and dandruff await if you are not careful with your beard.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best beard oils on the U.S. market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about beard oil
- 3.1 What is beard oil and what are its advantages?
- 3.2 What is beard oil specifically used for?
- 3.3 How will using beard oil help me in my daily care routine?
- 3.4 What are beard oils made of?
- 3.5 How should I apply my beard oil?
- 3.6 How is beard oil different from beard balm?
- 3.7 The ultimate beard dilemma: shine or volume?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Beard oil will be your best ally if you’ve decided to let your facial hair grow and want avoid the usual discomforts like itching, split ends and dandruff.
- Hydrating your beard should be an integral part of your daily care routine. Make sure it clean and dry before applying oil.
- This product helps your skin by regulating and controlling sebaceous secretion. A healthy skin is necessary if you also want a healthy beard.
- You have to select the most suitable beard oil for your skin type and facial hair length. You’ll also have to choice between scented or fragrance-free oils.
Ranking: The best beard oils on the U.S. market
In the following section we have looked at the U.S. market in search of the best quality beard oils out there, incorporating customer reviews and each product’s unique profile. This is our ranking of our best beard oils on the market, and we hope you find the one that best suits your needs.
No. 1: Viking Revolution – Beard Oil Conditioner
Viking Revolution’s Beard Oil Conditioner is a scent free oil designed to do one thing: tame even the wildest of beards. Made with unparalleled softness and shine in mind, this oil can bring even the most scraggy, split-end beard back to life with just a few applications. It was also made so that it could be combined with any other fragrances you might be wearing. Simple efficiency is what you get with this product.
Just take a couple of drops, massage it into the beard and onto the skin after washing and drying your face and take your facial hair to a whole new level. Fuller, thicker, softer hair is within your reach, you just have to be consistent with the application. If you want a beard that is nice to look at, soft to the touch, and smells great, then this is a great oil from a respected brand name.
No. 2: Honest Amish – Classic Beard Oil
Honest Amish is proudly made by hand in the United States, and gives you 2 ounces of pure, unadulterated beard-nourishing goodness. Using organic essential argan, golden jojoba, and 6 additional essential oils, Honest Amish’s Classic Beard Oil is designed to condition the skin and soften your beard. Healthy skin is the vital foundation of any good beard, so you can rest assured the organic, all natural ingredients will set your beard up for success.
One of the world’s most trusted names in beard care and grooming, after just a couple of applications you will notice a difference in the sheen and feel of your beard. One of the downsides of having a beard, is that it can be hard to take care of the skin underneath, but Honest Amish makes that easy. Make your beard your most admired and standout feature with this product.
No. 3: Ranger Grooming Co. – Fragrance Free Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner
Ranger Grooming Co. has a reputation for turning out hit after hit when it comes to beard care products and their Fragrance Free Beard Oil and Leave-in Conditioner is no exception. This product has been described by many as the number one rated beard oil for men, thanks two its simple, two-ingredient formulation: jojoba and Moroccan argan oil. There are no added chemicals, preservatives, or fillers in this product, just pure beard-nourishment.
You can also rest easy knowing that this product has not been tested on animals. It is vegan friendly, and leaves your skin and beard feeling silky smooth. This product also comes with a money back guarantee, so if you don’t like what you get, you can always get a refund. Just wash and dry your face, massage in a few drops of the oil, and watch your beard grow into lustrous facial hair you didn’t know you had.
No. 4: Mountaineer Brand – WV Timber Beard Oil
Mountaineer Brand’s big 2 Oz. bottle gives you more product that most other brands, and it’s handmade in the U.S. using only the finest, 100 percent natural essential oils. Designed to absorb quickly into your skin and facial hair, this leave in conditioner promotes a healthy epidermis, and full, flowing beard. No more itching and skin flaking with Mountaineer Brand’s beard oil.
The Cedarwood and Fir Needle scents really do evoke mountain scents, and the high quality ingredients allow for easy grooming and great natural shine every single day of the week. A great option for those with facial hair they are not fully satisfied with, and want to bring it back to life. A top notch beard oil for beards and facial hair of any length.
No. 5: ArtNaturals – Unscented Beard Oil and Conditioner
ArtNaturals’ Beard Oil is made from 100 percent organic products and gives your beard a sleek look and soft feel without any strong scents. Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E combine to give your beard and skin everything it needs to stay healthy. Made to get rid of itching and flaking, just a few applications of ArtNaturals’ beard oil, and you won’t believe how your skin and beard have transformed.
This product is completely safe for all different types of skin, and the all organic oils’ natural antioxidant properties will take your epidermis health to a whole new level. This paraben-free, cruelty-free, sulfate-free certified vegan product comes in a gorgeous amber bottle to keep it out of the sun, goes on easy, and keeps your facial hair looking manly and thick.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about beard oil
What is beard oil and what are its advantages?
You may also be fighting skin peeling and dandruff. A lot of men decide to give up and shave their beard when they feel the first itch, to avoid “complicating their lives”. Those who know what to do, however, dedicate the necessary care and let it grow into a healthy, shiny beard. As you’ll have guessed, this is exactly when beard oil comes in.
What is beard oil specifically used for?
Making sure to adequately clean your beard is the first important step, and there are products on the market specifically for that, and with different skin types in mind. After that, you have got to dry it thoroughly. When all of that is done, then you can apply your beard oil, which takes care of both face and facial hair moisturizing.
How will using beard oil help me in my daily care routine?
- Clean look. Applying oil, after washing and drying your beard, gives it a clean and tidy look. Certain products also have antiseptic and antibiotic properties to combat allergenic agents that may accumulate in the environment.
- Hydrating hair and skin. You’ll understand just how important it is to keep your skin healthy if you remember how facial hair growth works. This type of oil helps regulate the secretion of fat from the pores, preventing epidermis dryness and its unpleasant consequences like itching and dandruff.
- Facial hair protection. A long beard cannot be kept in good condition without proper care and hydration. Otherwise, you will have to trim it to keep it healthy. Quality beard oil will stimulate your hair follicles, allowing your beard to grow in a healthy way. The moisturizing effect of these oils also prevents split ends.
- Calming effect. Applying beard oil can also avoid skin irritations, in particular for more sensitive skins, by softening the hair. That way, your skin is less exposed to the pricks of disheveled hair, thus preventing itching. The moisturizing effect finishes off the job of keeping itching away from your skin.
- A pleasant aroma. A clean, well-kept beard is a truly rewarding sight. A soft beard can be a delight to touch. You can stop here, or decide to pique your sense of smell too. A clean, tidy, shiny beard from which emanates an enthralling fragrance will give you a confidence boost in any situation. You’ll find beard oils with a multitude of different aromas. Pick your favorite and you’ll be all set for close encounters.
What are beard oils made of?
These essential oils are extracted from different varieties of plants and contain the active ingredients, fragrances, vitamins and their properties. Each oil will particularly influence the effect of one of its main advantages – skin relief, hydration or the ability to regulate sweating – while also providing the aromas of the plants of origin.
Here are some plants commonly used in beard oil:
- Castor oi plant
How should I apply my beard oil?
- Place a few drops of oil in the palm of your hand.
- Rub your palms together to distribute the oil evenly.
- Introduce open hands from the bottom of your beard.
- Use your fingers to massage the skin under the beard, and thoroughly spread the oil over it.
- Remember to clean your beard well before applying the oil. You are also encouraged to dry your beard, although certain products can still work on wet hair.
- The quantity you should use naturally depends on the size of your beard. We advise you to start with a few drops – three to four – and increase the amount if needed. When it comes to beard oil, it is actually preferable to fall short rather than put too much.
How is beard oil different from beard balm?
|Beard oil||Beard balm|
|Main function||Moisturizing||Conditioning and setting|
|Beard length||Suitable for beards of any size||More specifically tailored for long beards|
|Frequency of use||Daily use||Daily or occasional use|
|Shine||Oil will increase your beard’s shine.||Balm gives the beard a natural matte appearance.|
The ultimate beard dilemma: shine or volume?
Ultimately, the aesthetics are the most important difference between balms and oils. If you like your beard to be shiny, then the oils will be your product of choice. If you prefer volume, on the other hand, you’ll find that balms are the best way to shape your beard to your liking.
While all beard oils share common properties, there are certain variables you should take into account before settling for a specific brand. The following factors will help you find your way towards the product that best suits your beard:
- Main function
- Skin type
- Type of beard
- Value for money
As we mentioned earlier, all beard oils share common basic functions. That being said, some products emphasize specific effects: hydration, soothing effect on the skin, shine, or aroma.If it’s your first time growing a beard, we recommend you to opt for an oil that contributes to the healthy growth of your follicles.
You’ll find several types of oil on the U.S. market, each with very specific properties. Certain beard oils for instance, contain vitamins, while others have antibiotic properties. You should pick the product that best suits your needs and your goal. If you’re into fragranced oils, you’ll be happy to know that there is a wide range of aromas available.
This is an incredibly important aspect that you cannot overlook. Always read carefully the properties of the product you want to buy to make sure that the oil is suitable for your skin type. You won’t need the same beard oil if you have dry skin or if your skin has a tendency to secrete more oil than normal. You can simply add your skin type to “beard oil” during your online search.
Certain products feature ingredients that are particularly useful if you have dry skin, such as apricot kernel oil. On the contrary, other oils are more suitable to help regulate secretion in oily skins, like coconut oil. Beard oils are aplenty out there, and you just have to find the one that’s right for you.
Type of beard
You won’t need the same product if you’ve been growing your beard for three days, three months or three years. This is why it’s not hard to understand that the length of your beard is naturally a deciding factor in your purchase. You should also take into account that we don’t all have the same type of hair; it can differ in thickness, and be straight or curly. Be sure you know your type of hair before buying any product.
Generally speaking, beard oils – including those featuring on our selection – are originally designed for long beards, since their number one function is to facilitate the healthy growth of facial hair. This is why you should consider all factors, as you may also have an oily skin and thick, curly hair.
We can basically identify two different types of aromas in the world of the beard: stronger and softer. Perfumes from woods such as cedar, for instance, have been used in oils since time immemorial. These aromas have great personality and are traditionally associated with masculinity.
The other type of aroma is fresher and subtler. These include for example citrus fruits such as lemon or orange. The list of aromas is as exhaustive as it is exotic, as are the common ingredients of beard oils. You’ll be brought to faraway places just by reading the composition of each product: cardamom, jojoba, coconut, almonds…
Value for money
As you’ll have seen in our selection at the top of this article, you can get a good idea of the quality of a product by reading user reviews. As you can imagine, the price is naturally one of the criteria that most influences consumer opinion. It’s no coincidence that customer favorites also tend to be quite affordable products.
The value for money of a beard oil isn’t simply affected by the actual quality of the product itself. External factors, such as a 2-pack offer or kits that contain other beard care products – shampoo, brush and comb –, also influence it.
If there’s one thing you should remember from our article, it’s that beards won’t care for themselves. It is also important to remember that using oil is only one part of your daily facial care routine. If you want to obtain a strong and healthy beard, apply the oil after washing and drying it properly.
As we’ve already mentioned, beard oils serve two main functions: health and aesthetics. A healthy beard means a healthy skin, and your oil will play an essential role in this. You’ll have a beautiful beard and everyone will see it: health and looks can also go hand in hand.
If you liked our guide, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share it on your social media so more of your friends can learn to use the beard oil that’s just right for them!
(Source of featured image: Parilovv: 109708184/ 123rf.com)