How we pick our products
Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world, with nearly 500 million players. The top competitions in the U.S. and in Europe also make it one of the disciplines that generate the greatest economic income. This is also due to the international media coverage of its most famous stars.
You need two essential things to play basketball: a ball and a basket. But there is a third element that is fundamental for all players to perform at their best: basketball shoes. This footwear is tailored to this sport and will allow you to truly enjoy it.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Basketball Shoes on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Basketball Shoes
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Basketball shoes are one of the sporting goods that most receive investment in technological development from manufacturers.
- The floor of basketball courts requires soles to present specific characteristics.
- Comfort is essential, as are design and technology, to get the most out of your basketball shoes.
Our Selection of the Best Basketball Shoes on the U.S. Market
In the section below, you’ll discover our very own selection of the most popular basketball shoes on the market. We’ll tell you all about their characteristics, which will help you pick the model that best fits your needs. If you want to offer basketball shoes to someone, you’ll be able to discover various designs.
- Best Overall Basketball Shoes
- Best Women’s Basketball Shoes
- Best High-Cut Basketball Shoes
- Best Low-Cut Basketball Shoes
Best Overall Basketball Shoes
The Nike Air Visi Pro VI are Amazon’s Choice in the category, and they have received excellent reviews from the basketball community. These mid-cut basketball shoes are a great all-round choice, providing comfort, breathability and shock absorption. Their rubber sole will allow you to play both indoor and outdoor, so you can switch from regular basketball to streetball or 3-on-3. They’re stylish too and come in two different colors.
Best Women’s Basketball Shoes
Female players have praised the quality of these Under Armour Jet, and this is why they are now Amazon’s Choice for women’s basketball shoes. Their mid-top cut gives them the versatility many players need, providing safety and comfort to the ankle while giving freedom of movement for quick plays. Available in two color combinations, they feature a rubber sole with grooved patterns to offer more stability and traction.
Best High-Cut Basketball Shoes
The Adidas Pro Bounce are designed for players who need maximum support on their ankles. If you’re a center or recovering from an injury down there, these basketball shoes are exactly what you need. Made from breathable materials, they’re still light so you don’t have to give up on mobility either. The bounce cushioning integrated into the sole provides greater stability and flexibility when you’re getting that rebound.
Best Low-Cut Basketball Shoes
We could have said that the Under Armour Spawn line featured the best design, but these basketball shoes first and foremost offer incredible performance. Extra padding throughout the footwear increases comfort and support, while the mesh parts are designed to be breathable and supple. The soles present traction patterns that will help you start, change directions and stop faster than ever.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Basketball Shoes
There are many questions to be asked when it comes to buying your own basketball shoes. We’ll talk about some key criteria in our final section, but first we want to give you more information on specific aspects of this footwear. You will learn more about their care and cleanliness, and even the importance of the great figures of the sport in promoting technological progress.
What are basketball shoes exactly?
One of the main specificities of these shoes is easily detected at a glance. They feature a high-top design to provide greater support to the ankle, protecting it from potential sprains and other injuries. Generally padded, the sole of the shoe is also key to take care of your foot’s sole.
In what other disciplines are basketball shoes used?
|Mini basketball||Streetball||3×||3 basketball|
|It is practiced by children under the age of 11.||This is a one-on-one between two players.||Two teams of three play against each other.|
|More than for competition, it is designed to teach the basics of basketball.||Played on the streets, it is an element of hip-hop culture.||The court is half a regular court and a single hoop is used.|
|The size of the court, the hoop, and the ball are all smaller.||It features spectacular dunks, feints, and ankle breakers.||This discipline is designed for the Olympic Games.|
|Some rules change (there are no 3-point shots, for example).||Certain rules of basketball aren’t followed, such as double dribbles.||There are several differences with the original rules of basketball.|
How important is the material of the shoes?
Breathability is another fundamental criterion when you play a sport as demanding as basketball. Strategically placed in certain parts of the footwear, mesh or other light materials will allow for better transpiration and your feet will feel more at ease.
How can I prevent my shoes from slipping?
- Place adhesive tape under your shoes before you play. This will remove any dust and dirt from your sole.
- Put hair spray on the soles. This will create a thin adherent layer that will improve grip.
- Apply any liquid to the sole and dry it with a cloth. You will remove dirt and gain in traction.
- Wet your fingers with saliva and pass them over your sole. This might be a revolting solution, but it will help you in emergency situations.
How does technology influence basketball shoes?
This continuous desire to better the footwear has caused the improvement of cushioning, durability and resistance, as well as comfort and lightness. Air units are integrated into the insole and gel is added to the base to enhance cushioning. Certain models are made of microfiber.
How should I clean my basketball shoes?
- Hand wash your shoes using a small brush and soap or mild detergent.
- Scrub the dirty areas with a brush or cloth and soap.
- Scrub the soles with a toothbrush with toothpaste and soaked in warm water. A toothpick can access small dents and remove dirt.
- Rinses with a clean, soft cloth that you’ve humidified.
- Dry the wet zones with a cloth and leave the shoes in an aired place to complete the process, but never in the sun.
- Store your shoes in a bag or a dry place, once you’ve made sure they’re not wet anymore.
There is a variety of factors that you need to take into account when choosing your very own basketball shoes. They are fundamental to help you pick out quality shoes, but also find the features that best suit your in-game needs. In the following section, we’ll analyze the following criteria so you can make the right purchase:
Their design is the result of anatomical and biomechanical research carried out by the manufacturers. They strive to create quality products that withstand the demands of the sport, the conditions of the hard and slippery surfaces on which it is played, as well as the weather conditions when practicing outdoors. There are different types of design based on the cut of the shoe:
|For||Indoor players||Heavy outdoor or fast indoor players||Outdoor players|
|Advantage||Greater ankle protection||Enhanced ankle support after jumps||Ability to safely change directions|
Experts believe that the sole is the most important part of basketball shoes. Jumps predominate in this discipline, and our feet have to support up to eight times our body weight. For that reason, the shock absorption system is fundamental to protect your ankles and knees, as well as back injuries to the spine.
You should also make sure that the sole provides good on-court grip. The wooden floors are very slippery, in particular when moistened by players’ sweat. You’ll be avoiding unnecessary risks with quality non-slip soles.
The position you play will also influence the type of shoes you should buy. Some need agility and greater freedom of movement, while others need more ankle protection and good cushioning. The latter tend to jump often and are more exposed to stepping on another player and injuring themselves. Here are the characteristics of each position and which shoes are best for them:
- Guards: These fast and explosive players make sudden changes of direction. They need low-cut shoes.
- Small forwards: These players have a somewhat similar profile to that of guards and the same type of shoes is recommended.
- Power forwards: They are bigger than the players mentioned above and step in the paint more often. Despite being fairly explosive like small forward, they are more exposed to injuries. Mid-cut shoes are recommended.
- Centers: These players are the biggest on the team. They need good shock absorption because they’re constantly jumping for rebounds. Their ankles also need to be protected since it is frequent to fall on other players’ feet in the paint. This can lead to serious injuries, and centers should therefore favor high-cut shoes.
This is another important aspect of your shoes because it plays a role in how well the footwear fits you. You are advised to use laces to prevent discomfort or potential injuries. This closure system allows you to truly adjust the shoe to your needs, which isn’t always possible with other options. Here are the most common closure systems:
|Fit||They allow you to adjust the shoes to your feet.||It isn’t as fitting and can break.||You won’t be able to fully adjust it to the foot.|
|Advantage||They are the safest.||Using them at a competitive level will wear them out quicker.||They do not offer the right guarantees for competition.|
|Suitable for||They are the most frequently used for competitions.||It is more suitable for walking or training.||They are ideal if you want to show off your shoes.|
There is a wide array of basketball shoes available on the American market, and it can be difficult to pick the right pair for you. Remember not to base your decision on the obvious: an attractive design with a specific color, an affordable price or a great marketing campaign won’t make the shoe any better.
You should choose a model that fits you and your style of play, that are comfortable, resistant, flexible, and light. Bet on high-quality materials that will help improve your overall performance, prevent discomfort and protect you from potential injuries.
If you liked our guide on basketball shoes, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share our article with your friends!
(Source of Featured Image: Andriy Popov: 75949195/ 123rf.com)