How we pick our products
In winter it is the heating and in summer the air conditioning. No matter what time of year it is, there is always a reason why the atmosphere at home can dry out too much for a baby. There is a specialized appliance called a baby humidifier that is your best ally in maintaining and controlling the proper humidity in the house.
By using a baby humidifier you will reduce the risk of your little one getting the flu, a cold or other respiratory infections. There are also many other benefits for the overall well-being of the youngest in the house by regularly using a humidifier. If you’re not too familiar how these devices work or what the reasons are for buying one, take a close look at this comprehensive guide.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best baby humidifiers on the U.S. market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about baby humidifiers
- 3.1 What is a baby humidifier and what is it for?
- 3.2 What are the benefits of using a baby humidifier?
- 3.3 What are the risks of not using a baby humidifier?
- 3.4 What types of baby humidifiers are there?
- 3.5 What precautions should I take when using a baby humidifier?
- 3.6 In what situations is it not advisable to use a baby humidifier?
- 3.7 Where should I place a baby humidifier?
- 3.8 How do you clean a baby humidifier?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- A child’s respiratory system is very sensitive and can react negatively to factors such as excessively low/high humidity or temperature. This is also when viruses and bacteria are at their strongest.
- Relative humidity levels recommended for a baby’s health range from 40% to 60%, but with the use of air conditioners and heaters in the house, it’s not always easy to keep the humidity levels even.
- Before purchasing a baby humidifier, you should consider certain factors to make a quality purchase. Some of these factors are the type of humidifier, the capacity of the humidifier, and the power requirements.
Ranking: The best baby humidifiers on the U.S. market
With the advancement of technology, baby humidifiers are now far more affordable and they all come with interesting features that can make a huge difference in your house. There are so many options to choose from that sometimes the decision can be overwhelming. Below you will find the top 5 baby humidifiers on the market to serve as your guide. Take a close look at this list as there is a high probability that your new baby humidifier is on this list.
No. 1: PurSteam Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
With the PurSteam Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, you can moisturize the dry air in your home or baby’s room within minutes. This humidifier is a powerful device that is packed with smart features to make it the perfect solution for improving the air quality in any room. The PurSteam humidifier is also aesthetically pleasing so it will fit in with the decor of any house.
The PurSteam humidifier’s 4-liter tank delivers a moisture output of 350 milliliters/hour, making it the perfect solution to relieve the symptoms associated with dry air. This humidifier will also help your baby sleep easy. When using the low setting, the humidifier will run for more than 20 hours continuously.
No. 2: Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Pure Enrichment is a Californian based company that has been producing premium family products since 2010. The user-friendly design of the MistAire humidifier makes it easy to assemble and disassemble for daily refills so that your baby can enjoy the benefits of a humidifier every day. This humidifier can safely moisturize the air for up to 16 hours thanks to the 1.5-liter tank.
This humidifier is ideal for a baby’s room as it is ultra-quiet and the optional night light offers a soothing glow for maximum relaxation when your baby needs it most. From a safety perspective, the humidifier automatically turns off when the water level is low or the water tank is removed.
No. 3: TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifiers for Babies
The TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier is the perfect appliance for your baby as it is safe, quiet, FCC certificated and BPA Free. The dial on the humidifier allows you to select the mist output so that you have absolute control over the air your baby breathes. As the humidifier is nice and narrow, it can easily fit in small places or be taken with you in your baby’s travel bag.
The 1.8-liter tank is light and easy to refill so that you can quickly replace the water each day. This humidifier has the ability to relieve discomforts such as nasal congestion, skin and eye dryness with ease. This humidifier also comes with an 18-month warranty.
No. 4: Cadrim Cool Mist Humidifier
The Cadrim ultrasonic humidifier is the perfect baby humidifier that can also be used as an aromatherapy diffuser if drops of oil are added into the water. Every baby would love to have this cute whale-shaped humidifier in their room to help them fall asleep. The LED light can be turned on/off by tapping the top of the humidifier or tapping the table which the device is sitting on.
The Cadrim humidifier features 7 different colors that can serve as a night light for your baby. You can allow the device to automatically change color or set it to the color that your baby likes the most. With a running time of between 5 to 7 hours, this humidifier automatically turns off when it runs out of water.
No. 5: HUANHUA Mist Cool Baby Humidifier
This HUANHUA Mist Cool is a mini humidifier with ultrasonic technology that is extremely quiet and perfect when your baby is sleeping or taking a nap. In your baby’s room, this humidifier can be not only used as a humidifier but also as an LED night light. The soft, gentle light is perfect for helping your baby to fall asleep whilst they breathe easily.
The HUANHUA humidifier can hold up to 380ml of water and run up to 10 hours on a full tank for a complete nights’ sleep for you and your baby. This humidifier is perfect for protecting your baby’s eyes and skin from dry weather or any sort of congestion.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about baby humidifiers
What is a baby humidifier and what is it for?
Their main purpose is to keep the relative humidity at the advised levels suitable to a baby’s respiratory system, which is between 40% and 60%.
What are the benefits of using a baby humidifier?
As you do not want your baby to be cold during winter, it is completely normal to raise the temperature in a house with a heater. Using a heater increases the dryness of the environment and can lead to health issues. However, if you use a humidifier at the same time, this will keep the humidity levels even whilst your baby stays warm.
What are the risks of not using a baby humidifier?
- Itching: Itching and irritation in the eyes can be very annoying for a baby. It can also lead to conjunctivitis or other eye infections.
- Breathing: Dryness in the mucous membranes of the airways and lungs. This can make a baby more vulnerable to infections or viruses.
- Colds: Worsening of colds and increased symptoms such as coughing or constant runny nose.
- Skin: Dryness in the skin and related issues such as dry lips or the appearance of eczema.
- General condition: Breathing difficulties, headaches, and general discomfort.
- Room atmosphere: A humidifier for babies acts to regulate the humidity of the environment and maintain the recommended levels (between 40% and 60%). Maintaining the humidity level reduces the risk of suffering the illnesses mentioned above.
What types of baby humidifiers are there?
|Cold steam||Hot steam|
|Increases room temperature||X|
|Boils water to generate steam||X|
|Fine steam emission||X|
|Lower electricity consumption||X|
|Greater effect against germs and viruses||X|
|Beneficial for the treatment of laryngitis, bronchitis or other diseases||X|
We can see that both have benefits and drawbacks in different ways. While the cold steam baby humidifiers release fine steam via ultrasonic waves, the hot steam humidifier boils the water. The creation of hot steam can cause the room temperature to rise by 33 to 37 Fahrenheit.
As hot steam humidifiers boil water, this means an increase in electricity consumption in your house. However, as per the table above, it also means greater effectiveness in the elimination of germs and viruses. Cold steam is regularly used in hospitals for the treatment of certain illnesses to great effect.
What precautions should I take when using a baby humidifier?
- The first step is to make sure that a baby humidifier is required. If the baby’s room is already humid enough, using one can be counterproductive and a waste of money.
- Humidifiers can be dangerous devices for children. Ensure they are placed out of reach and try to keep the cables out of sight.
- Whenever the humidifier is not being used, always unplug it. In addition to safety, this will also increase the life of the device.
- When the humidifier is in operation in your baby’s room, keep the door open. This will avoid the generation of condensation or mold.
- Always try to use distilled water in your humidifier. Distilled water produces cleaner steam, as it does not contain lime or minerals.
If you follow these simple tips and precautions, you will not have any problems and the humidifier will provide many benefits to your baby. Avoiding respiratory infections and improving your baby’s quality of life has never been easier and safer with a humidifier. Keep reading if you want to find out more about these fantastic products.
In what situations is it not advisable to use a baby humidifier?
Although they are beneficial for the treatment of colds or cases of flu, if your baby suffers from allergic rhinitis, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or asthma, a humidifier can make an existing condition worse. If this is the case, we highly recommend that you consult your pediatrician before use.
Where should I place a baby humidifier?
Ideally, the device should be placed in the center of the room. If this is not possible, the steam should be directed towards the middle, as this will humidify the entire room and not just one corner. If you have purchased a hot steam humidifier, ensure that there is no chance your baby can get close to the device, in order to avoid the risk of burns.
How do you clean a baby humidifier?
- Make sure the humidifier is unplugged before cleaning.
- Separate the water tank from the base and the filter.
- For the water tank, fill it with hot water and add a spoonful of bleach to the tank. Leave it to stand for 30 minutes to ensure the elimination of any bacteria.
- Next, fill a bowl with water and add two cups of white vinegar to clean the filter. Place the filter in the bowl for 30 minutes before removing it.
- Cleaning the base of the humidifier is also important. You can do this by wiping it down with white vinegar and letting it sit for 30 minutes. After this, wipe it down with a paper towel.
- The rest of the small parts can be carefully cleaned with soap and water.
- Carefully dry all parts before reconnecting the appliance.
We recommend following this cleaning routine at least once a week to keep the humidifier in good condition. Remember that these are generic instructions that can be applied to most humidifiers. You must always carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning your particular appliance.
Responsible parents never gamble when it comes to buying products for their babies. This is especially relevant when it comes to purchasing a humidifier, as this appliance changes the air that your baby breathes. For this reason, it is advisable to follow specific criteria when purchasing a device of this type. Here are the shopping criteria that we highly recommend you take into consideration when buying a baby humidifier:
Earlier in the guide, we explained that both cool-steam and hot-steam baby humidifiers can provide many advantages. When deciding between one or the other, you must take into account factors such as the needs of your child and the environment in which you are going to use the humidifier.
If you live in an area where it is usually hot, a cold-steam humidifier would be more suitable for you. It will avoid increasing the temperature of the room but it will keep the humidity at the optimal level. If the place you live in is generally cold and dry, a hot-steam humidifier will be much more effective.
View this post on Instagram
The first few nights home have been incredible. Having him in arms reach all night is the best feeling ever! Our one week NICU stay felt like it lasted a lifetime. I had to make sure he was extra happy here with a nice bassinet, the comfiest swaddles and air that's NOT dry ?
The power of the baby humidifier plays a key role in the effectiveness of the humidifier and should not be overlooked. The key aspect to determine is the power required for the size of the room. The larger the room in which the humidifier will be placed, the more power it must use in order to achieve its goal.
To give you an idea, the power needed for a humidifier in a room that is 100 ft² is 75 ml/h. Nowadays, most humidifier manufacturers include an informative table of the power requirements of the product. The following table gives you a general guide of the power required based on the room size.
|100 ft²||75 ml/h|
|320 ft²||230 ml/h|
|540 ft²||380 ml/h|
The humidistat is a sensor that controls the levels of relative humidity in the environment and can regulate these levels automatically. You must ensure that the baby humidifier you choose has a sensor. This sensor is essential for preventing the humidity in the environment from increasing excessively and becoming counterproductive.
Although most appliances have a humidistat sensor, it is advisable to double-check this. Thanks to the humidistat, the humidifier stops when the humidity in the room has reached the set level (between 40% and 60% relative humidity) and restarts when the humidity drops.
Another key purchasing criterion is the size of the baby humidifier water tank. Although this is not a factor on which the operation of the appliance depends, it is an aspect that makes life easier for parents. The bigger the capacity of the tank, the longer the appliance will be able to run for. As a guide, a water tank capacity of 2 liters will provide you with approximately 8 hours of steam.
Another aspect that must be taken into consideration when it comes to the volume of the tank is the overall size of the appliance. If you are looking for a compact humidifier that does not take up too much space in your baby’s room, you may need to sacrifice some water tank capacity. As always, everything will depend on your specific needs.
Although baby humidifiers have improved significantly in recent years, it is still very important to regularly clean and maintain them. Ensuring the good condition of this appliance is essential for the proper functioning of the device and the health of your baby.
Regularly cleaning the water tank, always using clean water (preferably distilled water) and changing the water frequently is key to avoid the appearance of mold and bacteria. It is highly recommended to buy a humidifier that has a removable filter so that you can easily clean it.
Having a baby humidifier in your child’s bedroom will bring great benefits to their health and overall well-being. These devices are designed to maintain the relative humidity at the recommended levels (between 40% and 60%). This helps to promote the proper functioning of the respiratory system of a baby.
Today, there are high-quality baby humidifiers that use the latest technology. A humidifier can be an excellent solution if your little one has a cold or the flu. It can also be a permanent appliance in their room to help them sleep. You should always stay informed about the types, operation protocols, and maintenance requirements of this type of device to ensure your baby receives all the benefits and is always safe.
If you liked our guide on baby humidifiers, please share it on your social networks and leave us a comment below.
(Source of featured image: draw05: 71327738/ 123rf.com)