How we pick our products
Bibs have saved the clothing of babies since time immemorial. Therefore, it is not surprising that we find bibs in absolutely every home with a baby. However, over time, these useful items have evolved a lot, both in their form and design.
We no longer use bibs only at mealtime, but we bibs can be found now that are designed for children’s artistic moments–when they use paints and much more. With this guide you will get to know these traditional products, but in a refreshed and modern way.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Baby Bibs on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Bibs
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Bibs are one of the most useful baby accessories available and have been around for a very long time. From about age four to five months, babies begin to drool and eat solid food and, from then on, it will be years until we stop using bibs.
- The world of bibs is practically limitless and you can find a huge variety of models, materials and functions to choose from. In addition, like almost everything related to children, as they grow one bib will become obsolete and will have to be replaced by another.
- During the search for the ideal bib for your child, it’s important to assess certain features that will ensure you purchase a bib that is appropriate to your needs, such as size, type of closure, material and intended use.
Our Selection of the Best Baby Bibs on the U.S. Market
For our babies, we always want the best. Therefore, we can spend hours comparing different products until we find the one that is perfect for us. However, who has time for that? To make your shopping easier, we have prepared a selection of some of the best bibs currently available on the market:
Best Multi-Pack Bibs
With 4.5 stars out of 5 out of over 1800 customer reviews, this 3-pack of bibs comes in an almost endless choice of colors and patterns. They are made from lightweight, waterproof, easy-wipe, stain and odor resistant fabric. Single-ply construction means no worrying about icky stuff growing between layers of fabric. Without a cotton layer, stains and smells don’t stick.
Best Silicone Bib
These silicone bibs are 100% waterproof, food-grade and stain-resistant, so you can rest assured that your cute bibs will not absorb any water or food! The fun design and super-trendy colors are designed with great attention to detail. and these bibs are soft, flexible and extremely practical with the catch all pocket along the bottom. Plus, they can be washed with simple soapy water for maximum convenience!
Best Full-Coverage Bib
Sized to fit ages 6 to 24 months. The crumb catcher/catch-all pocket helps contain spills from even the messiest baby you know. Measures approximately 14” across the chest, 13” from neck down and 32” from cuff to cuff. Wipeable and machine washable for easy cleaning so you can use it over and over again!
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Bibs
What is a baby bib and what are its benefits?
- From the first moments in which the baby begins to drool, bibs help keep their neck dry, which prevents skin rashes and provides comfort.
- They protect baby’s clothes at feeding time, especially when the child moves beyond baby bottles and begins to eat solids autonomously.
- They prevent our children’s clothes from being damaged when they paint or do other messy activities.
In short, bibs allow babies to grow and develop naturally, without having to worry about stains on their clothes. Therefore, choosing a model that suits our tastes and needs is of vital importance.
What types of baby bibs are available?
- Traditional Bibs: In the classic crescent shape that is tied around the neck with a bow. Normally, they are made of cotton, with a fabric similar to that of a towel.
- Bandana Bibs: Ideal for fashionistas. These types of bibs are similar to the previous ones but simulate the shape and patterns of a bandana, with a triangular shape. The drawback is that they do not cover too much surface.
- Bibs with Sleeves: Comes in large size, like a shirt. They are the some that most protect the child’s clothes, especially when they start to eat alone or to carry out activities such as tempera painting.
- Bibs for Eating: They have a pocket to collect food spilled by the child and make sure that the food does not stain does clothes. They are usually made of silicone or other easy-to-clean plastic materials.
- Poncho Bibs: More similar to a painting poncho for children. They are very practical to cover practically the entire body.
The choice of which type of bib to get will depend on the situation in which you will use it and the age of your baby. For example, it will not be necessary to use a poncho bib when your child is still very small and does not eat on their own. You can find a multitude of different bib models and many styles today.
What are baby bibs made out of?
|Plastic||Maximum protection, especially with solid food.||They are very rigid and can be uncomfortable for the child.|
|Cotton||Very comfortable for the baby, lasts a long time and can be washed in the washing machine.||Do not offer much absorption.|
|Terry Cloth||Very absorbent and comfortable.||It is difficult to remove stains, even with hot water.|
When choosing a material, in addition to the comfort of the baby and the practicality of the bib, we must take into account, possible allergic reactions. Young babies’ is very sensitive and bibs are mostly tied to the neck, coming into contact with it. Therefore, if you notice any sign of reaction, it is best to try another material.
Do bibs require special care or maintenance?
- It is recommended that you wash the baby’s items separately, at least during the first six months, so that you avoid contact with adult clothing, which is usually dirtier.
- As it is not efficient to wash two or three bibs as a load of wash in the machine, they are usually washed by hand.
- It is advisable to use hypoallergenic soaps that reduce the risk of allergies.
- Food stains appear on bibs that, once dried, can be the ideal environment for the proliferation of bacteria. Therefore, you should must always wash them promptly after use.
If you follow these guidelines routinely, you will minimize the chances of our child’s skin becoming irritated. If you use bibs of plastic, silicone or waterproof materials, it will be enough to pass a wet wipe over the bib after each use, although you will also need to do a deep cleaning at least once a week.
Although it is normal ruminate excessively over every purchase we make for our baby, it is always advisable to have a list of factors to consider when making your choice. Therefore, to help you with the choice, we present main criteria for buying bibs below.
We now know that we can find bibs with many different closure systems. They are not better or worse than one another, they will simply be more or less useful depending on the situation. On the one hand, when choosing a particular bib, you should think about the comfort of the baby. The closure will, in most cases, be attached to their neck.
In addition, it is important that you verify that the child cannot remove the bib on their own. If they can, the closure is not adequate. And finally, if we think that we are going to have to remove the bib from our baby several times a day, the ideal closure will have an easy to use closure.
Size and Length
Size and length are two very important criteria that can influence the purchase of a child’s bib. It is important that the garment cover the baby’s clothes well to prevent staining, but it should not be too big nor too small. If the bib is too large, it will surely be uncomfortable for the baby.
If, on the other hand, the bib is too small, it will not fulfill its function and could even be dangerous. The bib is attached to the baby’s neck, so you should have enough slack for the baby not to suffer from choking.
We have talked about the importance of the bib always being in a perfect state of cleanliness. Therefore, the ease with which you can clean your baby’s bibs is another of the main criteria that you should think about before you buy. The bibs will be dirtied daily and should be washed with the same frequency.
In general, the simplest bibs to keep clean are those made of plastic or silicone material, since it will be enough to use a wet wipe to make them look like new. In addition, it will be advisable to put them in the washing machine for a deeper cleaning.
Keeping babies’ skin healthy and preventing rashes allergic reactions is not always easy. Therefore, you should pay close attention to the material with which baby items and garments that come into contact with your baby’s body are manufactured. |Bib’s are no exception.
Although they are products designed for children’s use, it is worth verifying that the material used does not bother your child’s skin. You should always make sure that it does not contain any harmful or toxic materials.
View this post on Instagram
Copper Pearl is SOLD OUT 😱😱 of their Baja line, and we have ONE bandana bib set and FIVE Burp Cloth Sets. Who wants them?!? #avocado #burpcloth #babybib #babyshower #gift #babyshowergift #baby #giftidea #tacos #tacotuesday 🥑 https://thetreasuretreeboutique.com/collections/avocado
Finally, although also very important, is how you will use the bib, that is, the exact situation in which your baby will use it. Of course, the child’s age also comes into play. For example, you would not choose the same bib for a newborn baby as for a child who is learning to eat alone.
And the bib that you give the little one to eat with will not be the same when he wants to start painting. As our child grows, we will have to adapt them to the new habits that are introduced in his life. The baby grows, and their bibs change as well.
Bibs are one of the oldest and most widely-used childcare articles today. These types of products are very useful and practical since babies begins to secrete saliva and do not know how to control it, until the child learns to eat autonomously. That happens at around age three or four.
Since they are with us for so long, it is important to always choose a bib that is comfortable and fulfills its function, adapted to the use that we are going to give it at each stage of our child’s growth. You should think about factors such as material, size, closure and materials when choosing your ideal bib.
If you liked our guide on bibs, please share it on social media and leave us a comment.
(Source of Featured Image: Guzel Kamalova: 123651321/ 123rf.com)