How we pick our products
Many Americans have trouble getting up and an alarm clock is quite literally something they can’t live without. They need some kind of natural disaster to get them up and at ’em. Other people don’t even need to hit the snooze button, they just get up and go. The former need an alarm clock or they’d be late for everything. This is why getting a good quality alarm clock is so important.
Thanks to this great piece of technology, waking up each day is a little bit easier. If you aren’t a morning person and don’t like to greet the day, an alarm clock will make life a little easier, though there is likely nothing that will ever make you fall in love with mornings. You can program an alarm clock to wake you up at a specific time each day, with different sounds, and at different intervals. The below shopping guide was made to provide you with all the information you need to buy a great alarm clock for yourself.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best alarm clocks on the U.S. market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about alarm clocks
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Alarm clocks are made to wake you up when you tell them to. Many, however, do so much more than that.
- When buying an alarm clock there are a number of important features to keep in mind. These include how easy it is to use, how loud or quiet it is, and the selection of sounds and additional functions you get.
- It is key that your alarm clock allows you to set it to repeat a number of times in a row so you don’t fall back to sleep. This is a must-have function.
Ranking: The best alarm clocks on the U.S. market
One of the best steps to take before making a purchase is to evaluate the comments of previous buyers. The below section is a compilation of the five best alarm clocks on the U.S. market. They are highly rated and well-liked, and we have provided a breakdown of their most important features. There is undoubtedly one in there for you.
No. 1: Sonic Alert – Sonic Bomb
The Sonic Alert Sonic Bomb is everything you should ever need to successfully get out of bed on time. This is a turbo-charged, loud vibrating alarm clock for those people who can sleep through virtually anything. It shakes you awake with the adjustable bed shaker and the extra loud alarm. This really is meant for people who just can’t get up in the morning without something them almost literally dragging them. The large red digits on the LED screen are simple to read from anywhere.
The snooze defuser also lets you hit snooze if you need to get another few minutes of sleep. One of the nicest features of this alarm clock is that even the deepest sleepers can wake up without waking up the rest of the house. Simply turn the volume off while setting the bed shaker setting and be shaken awake without disturbing the rest of the house. Great for those who simply can’t afford to miss an important meeting, flight, interview, or anything in between.
No. 2: Travelwey – Home LED Digital Alarm Clock
This Home LED Digital Alarm Clock from Travelway is about as simple and effective an alarm clock as you are likely to find on the market. The extra large snooze button on top is as straightforward as it comes and is simple to activate and access for children, the elderly and people of all ages. This alarm clock also features a great night light that functions as a nice, bright bedside light for reading, or simply if you need to look for something in the dark.
The alarm will go off for five minutes straight and the snooze gives you 9 minute naps in between the alarm sounding. This 120V electric powered alarm is also powered by a backup battery in the event that the power goes out while you’re sleeping and your alarm resets itself. The rubber feet are a nice feature because it avoids slipping around and accidentally knocking it off your bedside table in the middle of the night.
No. 3: IHome – IBT29BC Bluetooth Color-Changing Dual Alarm Clock
IHome’s IBT29BC Bluetooth Color-Changing Dual Alarm Clock is a small, portable, color-changing alarm clock/FM radio with built in USB charging and a speakerphone. You can use this as a standard alarm clock, as a speaker, or radio. One of the really nice features of this product is that you can set the alarm to wake up to a Bluetooth connected device. The microphone also allows you to pair this alarm with your phone and is also had a microphone, talk and end buttons.
This alarm also has 5 color-changing LED cabinet & display with six different colors and wake-up color modes. This product really is much much more than a simple alarm. It is a piece of smart technology that makes your life easier and more convenient. Use it as a speakerphone to talk hands-free from anywhere in the house, take it with you when you travel, or use it as a speaker to play music. You can also charge your devices at the same time with the USB port.
No. 4: Helmvision – Sunrise Alarm Clock
For those who would rather wake up a little more naturally, there is the Helmvision Sunrise Alarm Clock. Many other sunrise alarms use an annoying and unnatural bright white light to get you out of bed in the morning, but Helmvision’s Sunrise Alarm Clock starts with warm red light to mimic the sunrise that gradually morphs into white light, giving you time to adjust and wake up more comfortably. You can also set 7 different alarm sounds to suit your tastes, or set it to wake you up to FM radio.
Not only that, but you can adjust the brightness of the light to your personal preferences so you wake up easily, happy, and naturally every single day. The snooze function on this alarm was created with those who don’t like rude awakenings in mind. Instead of 9, 8, even five minutes that are common on other alarms, the Sunrise Alarm Clock gives you an additional 15 minutes of sleep. Additionally, if you need to get up in the night, this alarm functions as a non-blinding nightlight that doesn’t sear your retinas.
No. 5: Philips – Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock
The Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock is not just a great natural light alarm clock and alternative to jarring alarm clock sounds, it is a light therapy device as well. Not only are you waken up by natural-feeling and looking sunlight (the way human beings were meant to wake up), but you also get a dose of anti-Seasonal Disafective Disorder (particularly important in many of the darker, damper, rainier parts of the country).
This alarm clock also lets you choose from between 5 different wake up sounds. You can also use this alarm to go to sleep at night, drifting off to relaxing sounds and the dimming sunset function. The PowerBackUp setting is nice because it backs up the power for 8 hours in the case of a power outage in the middle of the night, you aren’t going to lose your set time. When you buy this product Philips will give you a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about alarm clocks
What is an alarm clock exactly?
Are digital or analogue models better?
Analogue alarm clocks tend to only function as alarm clocks and have no additional features. Digital ones, however, also serve as radios, chargers, speakers, and receive Bluetooth. Analogue clocks might look better than digital ones, but people often don’t like them because they make that repetitive ticking noise at night that can be distracting.
We’ve listed their main differences in the table below:
|Analogue alarm clock||Digital alarm clock|
|Sound||They use a buzzer as an alarm.||They have a very wide array of alarms.|
|Battery||They need different types of batteries to function.||They may work with batteries or a power plug.|
|Time||They use hands to show the time.||They show the time with numbers.|
|Design||Their design is traditional and attractive.||They offer more minimalist designs.|
|Function||They only work as clock and alarm.||They may have many other options.|
Why buy an alarm clock and not use my mobile phone?
What are the main parts of a digital alarm clock?
- Screen. The screen typically comprises a large part of your alarm. You need to be able to correctly read the screen, especially when you first wake up.
- Dimmable display. This lets you adjust the intensity of the light from the screen. If you can’t do this you might find it too bright at night. This is especially true if you have a light sensitivity.
- Snooze function. Every good alarm has a snooze button. If you want to get a few more minutes of rest every morning and wakeup more gradually, then snooze is a must-have. Without snooze, you are stuck listening to the alarm until you choose to get up.
- Extra battery. You put a lot of trust in your alarm clock and count on it waking you up on time for work, for flights, for job interviews, for morning runs etc. You can’t have it reset itself during the night because of a power outage. Battery backup is important to protect against this.
- Built-in radio. Many new alarm clocks are also FM radios and let you set your alarm clock to your favorite station.
- Multiple alarms. These are nice for couples because you can program two different alarms – one for each person. You can also use this as an alternative to the snooze button. Set one alarm for 6:40 and another one for 7:40 to get up on time for 8.
- Bluetooth. Many modern alarm clocks are also Bluetooth enabled so that you can link it to your phone and use things like the speakerphone and even play music.
- Projector. You might have seen alarm clocks that project the digits onto the ceiling or wall. This lets you check the time while lying on your back. Some people might find these alarms too bright.
- Progressive wake-up. These are good for people who can’t stand abrupt wake-ups. They start off soft and slow and wake you up slowly.
- USB input. These are great because they can be used to charge the battery in your alarm, and also to charge other devices.
What can help me buy the best alarm clock?
- Opinions: Check the comments and opinions of current owners and consumers before making your purchase.
- Functions: Be honest about what you need in an alarm clock.
- Price: Never compromise on value for money.
- Size and design: You want your alarm to look appropriate for the space it will go in.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of alarm clocks?
Now that we’re coming to the end of our shopping guide, we need to go over some fundamental features and criteria. If you apply these to your purchase, you will be able to get a product that makes your life easier and more comfortable. Here are the primary features to evaluate when making your decision:
Your alarm clock should be simple to use. If you are tech-oriented, there should be no issues. But if you are buying something for young children or elderly adults, you might need to take their needs and limitations into consideration. The best models, when in doubt, are simple and straightforward ones.
As noted before, you should try and find a model that has a battery backup or that can be charged via USB. This will minimize your chances of being late should your power go out while you sleep. This tends not to happen that often in the U.S., but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
This is not necessary, but it is a nice option for those who would rather wake up to their favorite radio station, rather than a jarring alarm clock noise. They are also nice to have if you are working and would like some background noise or company, or are having trouble falling asleep.
Digital alarm clocks don’t tick, which is nice. For those who are considering a nice-looking analogue model, this noise is something to keep in mind.
This is related to the previous category. Many people simply cannot sleep with any ambient light. This is doubly true for people who find it hard to get to sleep even when it’s pitch black. Counting sheep can be maddening, especially night after night. If this describes you, it’s best to get an alarm clock that can either be dimmed, or that doesn’t show the time on the screen at all when it’s dark.
Most homes have one or more alarm clocks in various rooms. They are essential for most people in the modern world where time is of the essence, and being late for a job, or interview, or flight is simply out of the question. While most new phones have a perfectly good alarm built-in, experts recommend taking major breaks from your phone and from screen time in general during the day. Having your phone right beside you and within reach might tempt you to use it.
As you no doubt noticed from the product ranking section and elsewhere throughout the article, the market for alarm clocks in the U.S. is enormous. This means there is something out there for everyone. Carefully consider what you need in an alarm clock and what features you value – design, style, functions. Lastly, always insist on value for money.
If you found the above guide to alarm clocks helpful, share it with your friends and family on social media. Additionally, you can drop us a comment in the below section and tell us what you thought.
(Source of featured image: Atamanenko: 53513126/ 123rf.com)