How we pick our products
Everyone knows how important sunscreen is for taking care of your skin and avoiding the damage from UV rays but not many people know how beneficial after sun lotion can be for your health. Spending excessive time in the sun, even with the right level of protection, can cause lifelong and irreversible damage. After sun lotion is essential to properly care for your skin after sun exposure to reduce the level of damage and visible effects.
After sun lotion plays a major role in skin care, not only to reduce the impact of the sun’s rays but also to lessen the severity and effects of the wind, heat, saltwater, and sand. The following guide will tell you all the information you need to know about after sun lotion.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best After Sun Lotion on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About After Sun Lotion
- 3.1 What exactly is after sun lotion?
- 3.2 Why is after sun lotion recommended?
- 3.3 What are the benefits of using after sun lotion?
- 3.4 How does after sun lotion work on the skin?
- 3.5 How do I apply after sun lotion?
- 3.6 In what formats is after sun lotion available?
- 3.7 Who is more susceptible to the sun and should use after sun lotion?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- It is critical to avoid performing skin exfoliation, depilation, and further sun exposure until at least 48 hours after applying after sun lotion.
- After sun lotion does not eliminate the negative effects caused by excessive sun exposure, it only helps to revitalize and moisturize already damaged skin.
- The components of after sun lotion, and whether it has a light or creamy texture, will tell you if this product is suitable for your skin type.
Our Selection of the Best After Sun Lotion on the U.S. Market
Choosing the perfect after sun lotion can be a complicated decision as there are so many products on the market. That’s why we have created a list of the best after sun lotions on the market based on price, quality, and customer feedback. Take a close look at the products below to find an after sun lotion that best suits your needs!
- Best of the Best After Sun Lotion
- Best Aloe Vera After Sun Lotion
- Best Value After Sun Lotion
- Best Selling After Sun Lotion
Best of the Best After Sun Lotion
Burt’s Bees Aloe & Coconut Oil After Sun Soother is the lotion that your skin needs after a long day at the beach or in the baking sun. This after sun lotion is specially formulated to replenish and re-condition skin after sun exposure and keep your skin soft and healthy. This quick-absorbing face and body lotion is packed with natural aloe vera extract that soothes and coconut oil to retain your skin’s natural moisture.
Best Aloe Vera After Sun Lotion
Otherwise known as nature’s miracle plant, aloe vera has been used for thousands of years to hydrate and keep skin healthy. This aloe vera lotion from Amara Beauty is chemical, color, fragrance, and alcohol free so that your skin only receives the most natural ingredients. The thin consistency of the lotion spreads on your skin smoothly and absorbs quickly, leaving skin feeling silky and smooth.
Best Value After Sun Lotion
Australian Gold is a company with over 25 years of experience in the skincare industry and they produce products that ensure you can continue to enjoy outdoor activities without damaging your skin. The Australian Gold Moisture Lock Tan Extender Moisturizer Lotion is made with panthenol, aloe vera, and Vitamin E to help nourish your skin and lock in that new tan.
Best Selling After Sun Lotion
Seven Minerals Organic Aloe Vera Gel is a lotion produced completely from aloe vera grown in Southern Texas, in USDA (OTCO) certified fields. The Pure Aloe Vera Gel is a clear, slightly thinner gel that is an excellent daily treatment for your face, skin, and hair. If you are in the market for an organic aloe vera after sun lotion that is produced right here in the USA, take a close look at the Seven Minerals lotion.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About After Sun Lotion
Now it’s time to learn all about the functions of after sun lotion, its important properties, its advantages and how to properly use it. There are many myths regarding after sun lotion, which are necessary to clear up to avoid misinformation being spread. Never forget that after sun lotion does not replace sunscreen and vice versa!
What exactly is after sun lotion?
After exposing your skin to an excessive amount of sun, it is these “active” components that perform skin rehydration. Rich in vitamins and minerals, after sun lotion works by helping to repair, cool, and moisturize dry skin. After sun lotion is available in many different forms: gels, lotions, moisturizing milk, serums or creams that can be chosen according to each skin type.
Why is after sun lotion recommended?
It is important to note that you don’t necessarily have to be sunburned for long-term damage to be caused. Even light tanning will cause damage to the skin cells and is a sign that you’ve been in the sun for too long.
Below we have created a table to explain the key differences between after sun lotion and standard moisturizing cream:
|After sun||Moisturizing cream|
Relieves burning sensation
Reduces skin inflammation
Provides fast treatment
Refreshing and natural compounds
High proportion of water
| Promotes skin elasticity
Keeps skin healthy
Provides long term benefits
Nourishes the skin
More oil than water
What are the benefits of using after sun lotion?
- Preserves the skin cells
- Prevents skin peeling
- Accelerates the tissue recovery process
- Soothes dry, hot, and irritated skin
- Decreases hyperpigmentation
- Helps to reduce wrinkles
- Helps prolong tanning
- Prevents premature aging
- Moisturizes the skin
How does after sun lotion work on the skin?
How do I apply after sun lotion?
After sun lotion contains many different ingredients that provide different benefits. Here are the most important components and their benefits:
- Calendula plant: Promotes cell renewal
- Aloe vera: Refreshes and heals the skin
- Mint: Antiseptic and antibacterial
- Allantoin: Stimulates tissue regeneration
- Thermal water: Refreshing, calming and healing
- Vitamin E: Antioxidant that prevents aging
In what formats is after sun lotion available?
- Spray: if the exposure to the sun was extreme and you are unable to even touch your skin, an after sun spray is the perfect product. By using the spray format you will avoid rubbing your hand on your delicate skin at the moment of the application.
- Gel: if your skin is irritated, apply a gel that contains aloe vera. Gels are generally more refreshing than lotions because their formulation is based on aloe vera, sage, peppermint or camphor.
- Lotion or cream: if your skin looks dry or dehydrated after sun exposure, lotion or cream after sun products are the best suited. These after sun products should be fresh and easily absorbed by the skin, even if they contain a large number of lipids in the form of oils.
Who is more susceptible to the sun and should use after sun lotion?
- You have light or pale skin
- If you have freckles
- Your hair is red or light
- You live or are visiting places close to the equator
- You are at an altitude, such as in the mountains
- If you use a tanning bed
- If you take medication that increases your sensitivity to the sun
In addition to all the information you’ve learned so far, there is still a number of things to share with you. The following five aspects are essential for making a purchase that will meet all your needs. Read the sections below so that you can make a successful after sun lotion purchase.
Depending on the results you want to achieve, after sun lotion is presented in three different formats by the manufacturing components:
- Soothing: if they have ingredients such as aloe vera, menthol or calendula, these after sun products will provide anti-inflammatory and refreshing results.
- Antioxidants: with vitamins E and C components, these after sun lotions help to heal and moisturize the skin to regain its natural appearance.
- Regenerators: due to the natural qualities of vitamin A, C, and allantoin, regenerating after sun lotions work to regenerate and repair cells. This further works to delay skin aging.
Depending on your skin type, and what suits you better, there are after sun lotions that come in different textures as mentioned below:
- Creamy texture: this texture is ideal for normal or dry skin, as well as very sensitive skin. This is often used as a lotion or cream that rehydrates the skin and provides it with all the nutrients it needs to be healthy.
- Light texture: this texture is ideal for oily or combination skin, as it is quickly absorbed. This type of lotion is ideal in the form of post-solar gels that relieve the burning sensation from the skin.
There are a number of different certifications that guarantee that the products you buy comply or do not comply with the pre-established regulations. Some of the establishments are Cosmebio (an association that requires products made with natural ingredients and of natural origin), Ecocert (certification body for sustainable development) or ICEA (Institute for Ethical and Environmental Certification), among others.
View this post on Instagram
We have had nothing but beautiful weather so far, and I have spent my days lounging in the sun (and eating ridiculous amounts of food). These are the products I’m trusting to protect my skin. I’m a long time fan of @hawaiiantropic but this @coola brand is new to me. I love how the Hawaiian Tropic sunscreens absorb into the skin and the after sun lotion is a must! ☀️
Most after sun lotions contain many of the same ingredients that you will find in all types and brands. However, each product usually has its own specialty beyond simply moisturizing the skin after the sun. Depending on what you require, you can find after sun lotion to reduce wrinkles, to refresh and soothe the skin, to stop oxidation or to enhance and prolong tanning. Choose the product with the particularity that best suits your needs or situation
Many after sun lotions contain alcohol as a part of their composition. It is necessary to verify the percentage of this ingredient in order to purchase a product that will not cause further damage to your skin. The percentage of alcohol should always be low when it comes to an after sun lotion, however, if you have extra-sensitive skin, then look for an after sun lotion that is completely alcohol-free to avoid irritations.
It never hurts to remember that an after sun lotion doesn’t minimize or reverse the effects or damage caused by excessive sun exposure or sunburn. You should also remember that sunscreen should always be used when you leave the house and come into direct contact with the sun. However, as sun exposure is inevitable in the lives of almost everyone, after sun lotion can help to care for your skin and reduce many of the symptoms of sunburn.
We hope that you now understand much more about after sun lotions after reading this guide and that you now know which product is right for you. If you still have doubts about which product is right for you or if you recently experienced excessive sun exposure, we suggest that you consult your doctor for professional advice.
Please don’t forget to share the article on your social networks and comment below to tell us what you thought of the information.
(Source of Featured Image: Melpomen: 82432307/ 123rf.com)